MC-1

ghostsix

BANNED
Always nice to speak with you Phil.I don`t reckon that there is any practacal way to determine how many of these were made by you alone.I notice that they are still in the supply chanel.They may never go away.A tribute to a not very good design.Shrades seem to be about as common.I forget the other, rarer contractor offhand.In any event, they are certainly a part of American history.

------------------

Ghostsix,
Good to hear from you agin Sir.
I don't think I can count that high!
To my knowledge Schrade has not produced the MC-1 for 20+ years.
Logan Smythe (FL) was the 3rd (& very brief!) contractor.

I have seen a miserable attempt at copying the MC-1, by Logan Smyth of Venice Fl. Anyone ever hear about this maker? When compared against the Camillus, the Logan shows poor workmanship, the blade was never polished smooth ( has machine or sharpening marks), the rivets are not peened square, and the knife blade does not always lock......open or closed. I used to sell the Camillus when I was in aviation. One customer went belly up and we bought up his inventory. The owner knew I was the Life Support guy and gave me the two MC-1s....a. barbuto

To my knowledge Logan Smyth never successfully delivered knife 1 to the Military!
There is a long list of tests the knives must pass for a lot to be accepted; theirs failed miserably.
Because of the potential fines facing them for failure to deliver on a government contract, they bought the knives from Camillus & sold them at a loss.

I would imagine they wished that they had not under bid us :p

The MC-1 is surely one of the most challenging knives to mass produce (at the price the U.S. Govt. pays!)

I seriously doubt that it will be made like that (original George Schrade design) ever again.

Back