Mean old mill bastard

What becomes of old files gone wrong? They get turned into very naughty knives. ;)

Knife in pic has curly maple handle, file worked ricasso, "blood dropper" notch, and fully sharpened "false edge". Blade, from notch to point measures 5 1/2 inches, OAL of knife is 10 1/2 inches. Boot knife fit for a Texan, 'specially one with a bad attitude. :rolleyes: :D

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 298
Sarge,

Beautiful handle on that one! I must say I'm glad your back- missed all your cool pics and contributions when you were gone from among us. Glad yer back:thumbup:

Thanks HD,
My neanderthal-like skills with a digital camera don't do this knife justice, it's a real beaut. First knife I've done in a while that wasn't based on a historical example. Not my normal style, reckon I was feeling just a bit wicked when I made it. ;)

Sarge

Very nice, especially the two-sided jimping.

I believe so strongly in false edges, I put one on a khuk.

Also this looks kinda like a mini khyber bowie, and I really like those.

Tx for pic & inspiration, Sarge.

Ad Astra

Out Friggin Standing! Love the Spanish notch. Now that's a "purpose built" knife. Slick.

Steve

What a knife!:eek: You are a real smithy. I can attest to one and all that your knives look better in person. And still, they look great in these pics too. That one any Texan would be proud to stab someone with.:foot: Um... I mean, show off to their friends.:rolleyes:

Andy

Sweet...

more characters to satisfy the stupid software.

Hey send a diagragm on that coleman forge will ya, or a pic. Do you do a lot of filing to get the shape, or is it mostly hammering? I really can't tell on these knvies you've sent me. I do see some hammer marks, but they are pollished so well, and I'm not an expert by any means.

Andy

Thanks everybody, but like I said, this one ain't my usual style. To me a knife is a tool first, and a weapon if it has to be, might explain why I don't make many purposely "violent" looking knives.

My "standard pattern" knives are, by comparison, pretty drab and boring, nothing much to look at. Make no mistake though, they'll get the job done. ;)

Andy, I hate to dissappoint you hoss, but I only recently started in on forging blades. Your knives, like the one's pictured in this thread, were stock removal, ground free hand on an old bench grinder, tempered down to 58-59 RC in my kitchen oven, and hand polished with sandpaper. Before I bought myself a little anvil, I'd peen down my solid brass handle rivets on the hammer poll of a tomahawk with it's bit stuck in a log. Reckon if I invested in some fancy gear I could crank out some pretty fancy knives, but looks aren't as important to me as a knife that cuts well and keeps its edge.

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 207
Good looking knife. Nice deringer. Is it a 22? I've heard that they made some of those in a large caliber at one time. I bet it would be a little hard on the wrist! Pocket rocket launcher.

Shows how much I know. Don't have any kinda experience with forging. When you say tempered down in your oven. What do you mean?

Here is what I have always assumed is the forging process. Please correct me on terminology order or anything else if necessary. I am here to learn, and have no pride/won't get insulted by my own stupidity being called out.

1. Annealing -- Softening by heating and allowing to cool naturally

2. Shaping -- grinding or hammering or both

3. Hardening -- by cooling very hot steel quickly

4. Tempering -- heating to ~300 for a long period of time and allowing to cool slowly

Is this correct? I would think that with some steels all four steps wouldn't be necessary, but I wouldn't know how to judge that. Very curious.

Sarge your knives are great however you've made them.

andy

You know...the first time I read the title to this thread and each time since, I've had to stop to reflect on the old timers I used to work with at the steel mill...

Nasty said:
You know...the first time I read the title to this thread and each time since, I've had to stop to reflect on the old timers I used to work with at the steel mill...

Me too Nasty, but cotton mill in my case. There were some good folks that lived in the "mill village" around Highland Cotton Mills.

Quite an eye opening 8 years for a boy from the suburbs.

Walosi and I were both 'lint heads". We had some good conversations about the old days.

Steve

dang it all ! I can,t think of anyone I hate bad enough to pull a knife like that on them . That is one serious piece of work . Its got a kind of crude finess to it that says it all . "Thats not a knife, this is a knife "

Back