Mechined finish on grinds

Hi guys,

I quite like the mechined finish on the grind you somtimes see on custom and factory made knives.
I have tryed 600gt belt on the grinding wheel but it dose not look as professional as I would like.
What am I doing wrong, do I need to look at the using the same grit on the buffing wheel.

Thanks in advance
jamie.

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Yup.

Just discovered them, and I absolutely love them for satin finishes. The only thing to try to avoid, however, is touching anywhere you have a nice hard edge or line on your knife, because the scotchbrite belt will round them off quick as a wink!

MrPurple said:
Yup.

Just discovered them, and I absolutely love them for satin finishes. The only thing to try to avoid, however, is touching anywhere you have a nice hard edge or line on your knife, because the scotchbrite belt will round them off quick as a wink!

You are right about the grind lines, it is very easy to wipe them out in a second.

If you carefully scotchbrite the hollow and then satin finish the flats you can keep the grind line pretty good.

A brand new new 320 grit belt also gives a nice finish. Sometimes I'll mirror polish the flats on a blade and go over the hollow grind with a new 320 belt. It makes a real nice contrast.

Like was said Scotchbright blets work well..hit the flats on your platen and it will sharpen your grind lines up

Thanks for the tips fellas. How course do i need the Scotchbright belt or are they all the same.

jamie.

harrington said:
Thanks for the tips fellas. How course do i need the Scotchbright belt or are they all the same.

jamie.
I believe the maroon is coarsest and they get finner the more you use them. I have the maroon and i am still using it after 2 years.

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
I'm pretty sure brown is coarse. I think maroon is medium.

Yup! Just checked on 3M's website.