1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by Rotte, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    I have decided to give away my Emerson Commander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carried a fair bit, used a little, never abused. This is one of my favorite Emeroson's, but I don't carry it much.

I associate Emerson Knives with the Military, and wanted to do a give-away contest with military in mind.

The Rules:

1. You must be 18 years of age or an active duty member of the Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, UK, or USA Military (Coast Guard included) and legally able to own an Emerson Commander.

2. One entry per person.

3. An entry will consist of the name of a USA Congressional Medal of Honor (CMH) recipient's name and a short explanation of why that person was awarded the CMH. It would be nice to add why you picked that particular CMH recipient.

4. A CMH recipient can only be referenced once in this contest. That is to say, once a CMH recipient has been mentioned in this contest, other participants may not reference said individual. Submit a unique CMH winner as your entry!

5. This contest starts now and will end on the evening of 30 Sep 12.

6. On 30 Sep 12, I will select a winner from the list of eligible contestants listed on Post #2.

7. This contest is designed to honor the men who have, through selfless valor, been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Nothing else. Lest We Forget.

Sample entry:

Major General Smedley Butler, USMC. “The Fighting Quaker”

A two-time Medal of Honor recipient, Major General Butler displayed remarkable courage in 1914 in Mexico, and again in 1915 in Haiti:

He also served in the First World War. He embodied courage as a Marine and a citizen of the United States. He wrote War is A Racket in 1935, an examination of profiteering by industrialists.

I chose him because he was a Pennsylvania man. Never underestimate a Pennsylvanian!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    Contestants:

1. Over Kill
    2. fuzzwuzz133
    3. lonewolf_94
    4. JSMcustoms
    5. Rowcha
    6. gooeytech
    7. C Ben Susrool
    8. Fishon217
    9. Hammer27
    10. KBar666
    11. Minibear464
    12 jukuri
    13. BigfattyT
    14. Mark III
    15. mykel m
    16. elitebrothers8
    17. Wunderbar
    18. ScreaminSS01
    19. jbravo
    20. blueprint
    21. 김원진
    22. Bladesfreak
    23. Nato762

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. Over Kill

Over Kill Banned BANNED

Jul 7, 2010
    Sergeant Alvin Cullum York, Army

He recieved the Medal of Honor in one of the most gruesome wars in human history. During the trench warfare of World War One during the Meuse-Argonne offensive Sergeant York showed remarkable courage and bravery.

York became an instant hero back in the states, he refused however to profit from any of it.
    He started organizations for better education and even tryed to re enlist in world war two at the age of 54.

I picked york because he is a true american hero. Humble, brave, thoughtful, giving, motivated, and honorable to the core.

4. fuzzwuzz133

fuzzwuzz133

May 30, 2012
    Corporal Jason Dunham
    Recieved the Medal of Honor for fighting hand to hand with enemy and eventually jumped on a grenade to protect his comrades. If that's not brave. . .I don't know what is. . .
    I really am jealous of how brave this guy is. If only we had more people in society like him. . .Fought in the Iraq War. This is what being American's all about!

5. lonewolf_94

lonewolf_94

May 25, 2010
    Sergeant First Class Leroy Petry
    While shot through both legs, saved his fellow Rangers by picking up and throwing a live enemy grenade, thus amputating his hand.
    He defended his country and his fellow soldiers, no matter the cost. It is this kind of bravery that makes me proud to be an American.

6. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    Lest we forget.

[​IMG]

7. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Rowcha

Rowcha

Jul 31, 2012
    Private First Class, Ross A. McGinnis
    Birthplace: Meadville Pennsylvania
    Branch: US Army
    Departed 12/4/2006

[​IMG]

When faced with a life or death situation McGinnis chose to save those around him rather than himself, he is truly a model of courage. His self sacrificing act should be a reminder of how much those who serve our country give, in order to protect the freedom of this wonderful country.

I chose him because he chose the safety of his comrades over his own well being in a matter of seconds. Without thinking twice he jumped on a live grenade, knowing he was putting his life on the line to save his buddies. Honestly, this example of raw selflessness could be used in a time when many people only think of themselves.

Also, thanks for the opportunity to enter another great giveaway! :D:thumbup: While reading through those stories of the brave men and women who serve in our military, I was again reminded of the courage people have in combat.

9. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    What's better than one badass? Two badasses working as a team! MSGT Gary Gordon and SFC Randall Shughart received their Congressional Medals of Honor for their actions in Mogadishu.

Taken from another website (some profanity):

Insisting repeatedly to go into a situation where there is no hope of return...

These guys always bring a tear to my eye whenever I read about what they did. Makes me feel so proud that there are people like that fighting for our country.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  10. Over Kill

Over Kill Banned BANNED

Jul 7, 2010
    I was going say this one before i decided on York. Nice!

11. C Ben Susrool

C Ben Susrool

Nov 20, 2000
    Audie Murphy

Most decorated soldier of WWII.

Company leader 2nd Lt. Murphy engaged enemie tanks, sent men back to prepared positions when engaged, and he stayed forward to direct artillery fire and using weapons available fought the enemy and drove back tanks, sustaining injuries that he refused to have treated while the battle ensued.

MOH and other honors awarded during WWII for this and other engagements with the enemy.

Chosen because he was a hero of mine since my childhood during that war.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  12. fishon217

fishon217

Feb 23, 2012
    Staff sergeant Robert James Miller
    10/14/83-1/25/08

Sgt. Miller repeatedly exposed himself to overwhelming enemy fire in order to draw fire away from his pinned down squad. Saving the lives of 21 men while giving his own.

13. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    Colonel Merritt A. Edson

"The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to
    COLONEL MERRITT A. EDSON
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
    for service as set forth in the following CITATION:
    For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of the 1st Marine Raider Battalion, with Parachute Battalion attached, during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands on the night of 13–14 September 1942. After the airfield on Guadalcanal had been seized from the enemy on August 8, Col. Edson, with a force of 800 men, was assigned to the occupation and defense of a ridge dominating the jungle on either side of the airport. Facing a formidable Japanese attack which, augmented by infiltration, had crashed through our front lines, he, by skillful handling of his troops, successfully withdrew his forward units to a reserve line with minimum casualties. When the enemy, in a subsequent series of violent assaults, engaged our force in desperate hand-to-hand combat with bayonets, rifles, pistols, grenades, and knives, Col. Edson, although continuously exposed to hostile fire throughout the night, personally directed defense of the reserve position against a fanatical foe of greatly superior numbers. By his astute leadership and gallant devotion to duty, he enabled his men, despite severe losses, to cling tenaciously to their position on the vital ridge, thereby retaining command not only of the Guadalcanal airfield, but also of the 1st Division's entire offensive installations in the surrounding area.

/S/Franklin D. Roosevelt"

The Colonel embodied what it means to be an innovator and Warrior-Leader. He also earned 2 Navy Crosses and a Silver Star.
    He continued a long tradition of small unit actions in the USMC that continues today.

[​IMG]

14. KBar666

KBar666

Jul 1, 2011
    Mike A. Monsoor

ST3 member.
    Chose him as it Epitomizes taking the ultimate sacrifice for your Fellow American, Teamate, and friends.

[​IMG]

15. Minibear464

Minibear464

Jul 14, 2011
    Great idea for a giveaway!

Thomas A. Baker
    In 1944, Baker was to capture the Mariana Island of Saipan, along with other troops from the Army and Marine Corps. When facing a Japanese charge, Baker used any weapon he could grab to fight the enemy, becoming severely wounded in the process. Despite this, he continued to fight, even resulting to attacking with his bare hands. Finally, as the soldiers were retreating, Baker realized he was so wounded he would only slow the retreat. Thus, he took a M1911 with 8 rounds, propped himself against a tree, and bought the other soldiers time with his own life. When the US captured Saipan, they found Baker dead, still propped up against the same tree. In front of him were 8 dead Japanese.

Amazingly brave and determined. Fought valiantly, heavily injured, sacrificed himself for the others, and fought until the very end.

16. jukrui

jukrui

Jan 24, 2012
    Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy
    United States Navy
    ALFA Platoon-SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1
    [​IMG]
    "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as the leader of a special reconnaissance element with Naval Special Warfare Task Unit Afghanistan on 27 and 28 June 2005. While leading a mission to locate a high-level anti-coalition militia leader, Lieutenant Murphy demonstrated extraordinary heroism in the face of grave danger in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. On 28 June 2005, operating in an extremely rugged enemy-controlled area, Lieutenant Murphy's team was discovered by anti-coalition militia sympathizers, who revealed their position to Taliban fighters. As a result, between 30 and 40 enemy fighters besieged his four-member team. Demonstrating exceptional resolve, Lieutenant Murphy valiantly led his men in engaging the large enemy force. The ensuing fierce firefight resulted in numerous enemy casualties, as well as the wounding of all four members of the team. Ignoring his own wounds and demonstrating exceptional composure, Lieutenant Murphy continued to lead and encourage his men. When the primary communicator fell mortally wounded, Lieutenant Murphy repeatedly attempted to call for assistance for his beleaguered teammates. Realizing the impossibility of communicating in the extreme terrain, and in the face of almost certain death, he fought his way into open terrain to gain a better position to transmit a call. This deliberate, heroic act deprived him of cover, exposing him to direct enemy fire. Finally achieving contact with his Headquarters, Lieutenant Murphy maintained his exposed position while he provided his location and requested immediate support for his team. In his final act of bravery, he continued to engage the enemy until he was mortally wounded, gallantly giving his life for his country and for the cause of freedom. By his selfless leadership, courageous actions, and extraordinary devotion to duty, Lieutenant Murphy reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

He is the subject of the book SEAL of Honor. I chose Lieutenant Murphy because I read the book and felt every emotion expressed. From his training difficulties and mistakes to that ridge in Afghanistan. A true American hero, my condolences go out to his family who loved him so much. I highly suggest everyone interested to read the book.

Great idea Rotte, thank you for the opportunity.

17. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Cpl. Tony Stein
    WWII

The first Medal of Honor recipient for actions during the battle of Iwo Jima, Stein charged right into the thickest parts of the fray on D-Day, with the 1st Battalion, 28th Reg., 5th Marines Div. in the assault across the narrowest part of the island, in order to cut off Mount Suribachi from the rest.

He was armed with a homemade .50 caliber machine gun that he salvaged from a downed American aircraft on another island. He fired this from the hip as he charged across the volcanic plains, and engaged the enemy at every pillbox and bunker that he saw shooting at him.

He was observed far ahead of the rest of his men, following, not fleeing, the dust-spots of machine gun fire all around him, disappearing and reappearing in mortar explosions, sprinting and firing at them face to face.

He deliberately stood upright from cover to draw enemy fire to him and away from pinned down marines, and to ascertain enemy locations, then charged them and killed 20 enemy soldiers before he ran out of ammunition. His weapon fired 100 rounds in 5 seconds.

He took off his helmet and boots, then ran back down to the beach to rearm, then returned and resumed fighting. He did this 8 times, and on every trip back to the beach, he picked up a wounded man and carried him on his shoulders. He destroyed at least 14 enemy installations on the first day of action.

He was killed almost 2 weeks later on a scouting mission, by a sniper, after having been given leave from the island, and then returning when he heard how hard a time his buddies were having.

When told about Stein afterward, Joe Rosenthal, who took the famous flag-raising picture on Suribachi, said, “Running through bullets and not getting hit is like running through rain and not getting wet!”

Bravery.........but even cooler, he modified a salvaged .50 cal machine gun from a downed airplane, and ran around rocking it from the hip full auto! Took off his boots and did it barefoot just to make it cooler.

I was actually going to do a funny one (look up the story of 1SG Leonard A. Funk
    WWII if you don't think a medal of honor recipient can't have a funny story!)

18. MarkIII

MarkIII

Jun 1, 2008
    Great idea for a contest I chose Lieutenant Colonel Gerald Young USAF. Everybody else put up a lot of brave men from the Marines, Army, and Navy. Just thought our Air Force should be represented as well. My old man was USAF and I grew up on Air Force bases, loved hearing those F-15s while playing outside. What more can a 6 year old ask for. Anyway I'll let LT. Youngs citation speak for itself.

Young was a rescue pilot in Vietnam with the rank of Capt. During a mission to recover a Army recon unit, of which 2 choppers had already been shot down. The recon unit was holed up on the side of a steep slope. Which required some expert maneuvering from Capt. Young to support the pickup of the team. With an order from his commander and knowledge of the danger involved. Along with his and other support choppers running low on ammo and fuel Young endured heavy fire to support the chopper carrying the team.

His aircraft inverted and crashed in flames, yet he was able to escape through the window sustaining burns and aiding a wounded crewman. Capt. Young then attempted to lead the enemy forces away from his position. Despite his injuries he declined a rescue mission as he observed the enemy setting up heavy weapons for incoming aircraft. He evaded the enemy for 17 hours with severe pain from his burns until a rescue chopper can be brought to the area.

19. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Wow,what an outstanding theme for a GAW,thanks Rotte.

I picked Sgt.Carney because I've always loved the National Colors & what they represent.
    Even before 9 11,whenever & wherever I saw the Flag flying I would get a smile on my face & give it a salute or nod of my head,so his story struck a cord in me.

He didn't save lives,he didn't sacrifice himself to save others,but he kept the colors off the ground while wounded & getting wounded twice more.
    Sgt.Carney fought to keep the colors flying in the face of the enemy because he understood what they represented...freedom.
    Freedom for all.
    Unfortunately that freedom is extended to those that would desecrate the flag because they can,thanks to the
    service of those that served,fought & sacrificed for those same freedoms.

His story....
    Sgt.Carney was the first African-American recipient. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18, 1863 at Fort Wagner, SC. He received his medal for saving the American flag and planting it on the parapet and although wounded, holding it while the troops charged. When the Federal troops had to retreat under fire, Carney struggled back across the battlefield while being wounded twice more. Before turning over the colors to another survivor of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry, Carney modestly said, "Boys, I only did my duty; the old flag never touched the ground!"

Oo f'in Rah!!

Thanks again for the chance & for your service Rotte.

20. elitebrothers8

elitebrothers8

Mar 9, 2011
    Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta

Sergeant Giunta was the first living person to receive the United States Armed Forces' highest decoration for valor, the Medal of Honor, for actions that occurred after the Vietnam War. The reason he was awarded a Medal of Honor was because on October 25, 2007, in the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan, Giunta risked his life to save a wounded soldier from being captured.

I picked this soldier because he put his brothers in arms before his own safety while in combat. I feel that this takes both alot of courage, as well as honor to do this. This man along with all of the other soldiers in the Armed Forces should be remembered for the sacrifices they've made while abroad.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=jYcDruKLGQh0qM:&imgrefurl=http://www.badassoftheweek.com/giunta.html&docid=DlZel5smCMXCIM&imgurl=http://www.badassoftheweek.com/giunta.jpg&w=374&h=298&ei=zC5eULabDc3siQKax4HwAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=394&vpy=297&dur=3206&hovh=200&hovw=252&tx=113&ty=105&sig=104424143132033911219&page=2&tbnh=137&tbnw=180&start=21&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:21,i:148&biw=1366&bih=643