Meet the ... Intimidator ?

Warrior108

Platinum Member
First of all, I'm taking liberty here trying to help Chris name this one. When we were chatting about intended uses and names, he said it wasn't designed as a skinner but rather it was just meant to be a somewhat intimidating EDC blade. Based on that, my vote is for "Intimidator" so we'll have to wait for Chris to come back down from the mountain meditations to see what he says. ;)

Description and specs from the 12/8/16 sale thread:
Unnamed Prototype - 1/8" (.139) CPM154 Tapered Tang Commando Double Black Canvas Micarta (Sandblasted) *Swedge Unsharpened OAL 8" Blade 3 3/4" 4.16oz

General notes:
  • As with all of Chris' blades, it arrived sharper than "holy hell sharp" and I could do push cuts down a thin Cabela's newspaper ad, and then could just turn in carving left and right as it went along. Like a razor!
  • From the sale picture, I expected a thick blade but given the top unsharpened grind and the bottom grind, this 1/8" (.139" and on the way to 5/32") blade slices like something thinner than a 3/32" blade.
  • The blade length is on par with the Apache and Razorback and the front of the handle is such that they can all share the same sheath, each being held nice and tightly and the sheath well formed around them.
  • If I were to change one thing on this blade it would be that the thumb ramp stays thick all the way to the top, rather than thin out. The best way I can describe it is that it would be nice if it felt like the ramp on a Fiddleback Asp. The pic on the right shows where the ramp might give a more comfortable thumb purchase - but that might take away from the slicing capabilities too. Hey, I don't make em, I just use em. lol
    OKTIntimidatorRamp-vi.jpg

Death of an apple. This 1/8" blade didn't split the apple open like other 1/8" blades would and sliced very nicely. The guardless aspect allowed for the knife to roll all the way through allowing full use of the cutting edge.
OKTIntimidator1-vi.jpg

Turning the blade from a top view to give an idea of the geometry.
OKTIntimidator3-vi.jpg

View from the spine to show how thin the blade actually looks / is.
OKTIntimidator2-vi.jpg

Great job Chris!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

[video=youtube;tUyYace8318]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyYace8318[/video]

Great review Jerry! Good name, it does look intimidating, and it's perfect with the double black canvas commando scales.

Thanks for the pics. After seeing it from these angles, I think that blade shape would look really cool as a modified push dagger in addition to its current incarnation.

Held this blade personally. Makes you smile while quietly reaffirming to yourself, "hell yeah". The geometry is near perfect and it makes you want to do bad things. She's a catch Jerry!
- Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff Jerry. I should have given you some competition for that one but it does goes well with your OKT set.

I see your point on the thumb ramp. Top down it looks a little wonky to me, and I never find comfort bearing down on thin material with bare hand. I would have to have the knife in hand to see if there is enough material there to press on... it may work the way it is.

From the side this model looks badass. The grinds and tapering appears to give you a slicey knife, with a refined tip and good penetration when you need it. The handle looks familiar too and one that is already well received.

I think this would be a nice candidate to play around with: varying the grind line to slightly extend out a small line of hammered texture. Maybe moving the top plunge forward to beef up the ramp and see how it changes the look of the knife. The ramp looks too small for any, and dare I say, jimping.

Cool little knife. Intimidator is nice and fitting. Maybe make it implied like the EDU and have the EDI. Or go all out and call it the Jerry Rib Breacher Special. Chris, I am willing to bet you have plenty of inspiration from your career to give any knife of yours a personal and intimate name with a cool story behind it 👍👍

Edit... Ferus goes along with the Ferox theme

Last edited:
First of all, I'm taking liberty here trying to help Chris name this one. When we were chatting about intended uses and names, he said it wasn't designed as a skinner but rather it was just meant to be a somewhat intimidating EDC blade. Based on that, my vote is for "Intimidator" so we'll have to wait for Chris to come back down from the mountain meditations to see what he says. ;)

[video=youtube;tUyYace8318]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyYace8318[/video]

Hahaha, Love the YouTube clip.

And thank you Jerry for quickly posting up you impression of the prototype. I made this on a whim, so the name will have to catch up to me. I like your suggestion but, I will need to think about it along with some of the other ones people have suggested. My vacation actually does not start untill tomorrow. I was tying up loose ends, waiting on packages, and giving myself a head start for when I come back next year.

[*]As with all of Chris' blades, it arrived sharper than "holy hell sharp" and I could do push cuts down a thin Cabela's newspaper ad, and then could just turn in carving left and right as it went along. Like a razor!

I was cutting paper like this with it after I finished sharpening it. I was pleasantly surprised with how sharp it turned out.

[*]If I were to change one thing on this blade it would be that the thumb ramp stays thick all the way to the top, rather than thin out. The best way I can describe it is that it would be nice if it felt like the ramp on a Fiddleback Asp. The pic on the right shows where the ramp might give a more comfortable thumb purchase - but that might take away from the slicing capabilities too. Hey, I don't make em, I just use em. lol
OKTIntimidatorRamp-vi.jpg

[/LIST]

Next one I make I will see about leaving more thickness where the spine and swedge intersect.

Thanks for the pics. After seeing it from these angles, I think that blade shape would look really cool as a modified push dagger in addition to its current incarnation.

I might try something like that out in the future!

Held this blade personally. Makes you smile while quietly reaffirming to yourself, "hell yeah". The geometry is near perfect and it makes you want to do bad things. She's a catch Jerry!
- Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Robert, she is a nasty girl!

Good stuff Jerry. I should have given you some competition for that one but it does goes well with your OKT set.

I see your point on the thumb ramp. Top down it looks a little wonky to me, and I never find comfort bearing down on thin material with bare hand. I would have to have the knife in hand to see if there is enough material there to press on... it may work the way it is.

From the side this model looks badass. The grinds and tapering appears to give you a slicey knife, with a refined tip and good penetration when you need it. The handle looks familiar too and one that is already well received.

I think this would be a nice candidate to play around with: varying the grind line to slightly extend out a small line of hammered texture. Maybe moving the top plunge forward to beef up the ramp and see how it changes the look of the knife. The ramp looks too small for any, and dare I say, jimping.

Cool little knife. Intimidator is nice and fitting. Maybe make it implied like the EDU and have the EDI. Or go all out and call it the Jerry Rib Breacher Special. Chris, I am willing to bet you have plenty of inspiration from your career to give any knife of yours a personal and intimate name with a cool story behind it 👍👍

Edit... Ferus goes along with the Ferox theme

I like the Ferus suggestion, thanks Danny!

Back