Meeting knife nuts in real life, outside of Bladeforums...

I am looking forward to the day when someone knows what my knife is... I have yet to meet someone who even knows who Chris Reeve is let alone that my EDC is an Umnumzaan (or even knows what "EDC" is for that matter)...

I don't know anyone who is into knives outside of the forums.. I came close at my last job, until he told me that "I can buy real samurai swords for $30 at the flea market!!" and when I showed him my umnumzaan he said he could get that exact knife for $11...

Am I the only one who appreciates real quality? (in all my endeavours, music, knives, gear of all flavors...I am a hardcore gear head, I love the gear as much as the hobby I use it for)

My dream girl and I will meet by her saying "nice umnumzaan" just by seeing the clip in my pocket. Though if anyone said that, I would be really impressed and attempt to spark up a conversation.

My dream girl and I will meet by her saying "nice umnumzaan" just by seeing the clip in my pocket. Though if anyone said that, I would be really impressed and attempt to spark up a conversation.

I'd go as far as to say that the odds of this are about as decent as getting struck by lighting indoors during a clear sunny day (lol but in all seriousness good luck with that!). I myself know only 3 or 4 knife nuts in real life and I grew up with them. I think it all starts by something during youth, my father let me carve with a lock back folder, I remember him telling me that is was a Buck knife and it was his father's before him and how they are good knives. He still takes that old knife out of his shelf of relics and such on occasion when we're talking about knives. Not long after he showed me that i wanted a good knife, and my mother and he bought me a Buck 110. That's definitely what set me on the path to loving quality blades.

I am looking forward to the day when someone knows what my knife is... I have yet to meet someone who even knows who Chris Reeve is let alone that my EDC is an Umnumzaan (or even knows what "EDC" is for that matter)...

I don't know anyone who is into knives outside of the forums.. I came close at my last job, until he told me that "I can buy real samurai swords for $30 at the flea market!!" and when I showed him my umnumzaan he said he could get that exact knife for $11...

Am I the only one who appreciates real quality? (in all my endeavours, music, knives, gear of all flavors...I am a hardcore gear head, I love the gear as much as the hobby I use it for)

Oh man, I know exactly how you feel here. These people exist everywhere, and I swear sometimes it feels like I'm the only one that appreciates good stuff.

I listen to music on my AT M50s, some guy comes up to me and tells me he can buy Skullcandies or Beats that will sound better. I take photos on my 50D with 30mm, someone comes up with a 75-300 bragging about how great their gear is because they have "the most zoom". I play with my ZT0350 while studying, someone tells me that they can get the same knife in Chinatown for $10.

My favorite is when someone sees me opening a box with a benchmade or spyderco etc. and they're like "Oh check out my knife, it's crazy sharp!" and then pulls out something that looks like the lock would fail a paper test.

I know how you feel bro. I'd love to once, just once, see someone at the checkout line with a P7 tech clip on his pocket or something like that. The funny thing is that lots of people *are* interested in knives and EDC, but they just don't even know it yet. They haven't found us yet. :)

Why isn't this in Whine and Cheese? I see no knife content here.

Wrong_Forum.jpg

Last edited:
LOL I know the feeling; even my friends look at me like crazy when I answerer their "how much does it cost" question :eek:
I immediately ask they how much their Xbox 360 + games cost :D

I have gotten quite a few of my friends interested and appreciating a quality knife. Making them a knife nut could take a long long time if at all posible. I think we are some of the Very Special Few who are born with it. It's in the Jeans. (no comment please)

i get all excited when i think someone is interested in one of my knives. inevitably, they can't figure out how to open or close it. it's a sad, lonely world out there.

To the OP, I suggest you start hitting up some gun and knife shows, there are plenty of us there that know exactly whats in your pocket

I did get kinda excited one day while setting up at work(the front door of a knightclub) when a passerby asked me what knife was in my pocket. I told him it was a spyderco para 2, and he promptly pulled out his low end kershaw(nothing wrong w kershaw and it was a decent enough knife) and proceeded to tell me how much better his was than mine. I went along with it, and even pretended to listen when he gave me sharpening advice. I realized however he was nuts and may be suffering from mental illness when he wacked himself on the top of his forearm with the edge and actualy drew blood in an attempt to show me how sharp his knife was. WTF!

A dream girl who's also a knife nut..Good luck with that one dude it took me years to find a girl who liked camping, fishing, being outdoors , has a job and is pretty on the eyes..We've been together for 18 years so I guess she's a keeper.. She also has no interest in knives other than the kitchen variety ..I believe there are "levels" of knife nuts....I'm a machinist and work with a bunch of guys who are outdoorsmen of differant types (hunting,fishing,camping,quad riders) but ALL of them carry knives and make good money...A Buck,Gerber or a SAK is what they use and have several.....

I'm a gun guy... I know the differance between a $150 pistol and a $450 pistol...One will normally jam all the time and be inaccurate...The other will be accurate and reliable..This is a huge performance differance between the two...Most guys who carry Bucks,Gerbers and SAKs won't notice any better performance from a $100+ blade...

CD

About an hour ago my girlfriends cousin told her he had a new knife and pulled out a manix 2(hes not the biggest knife nut but he knows quality when he sees it), she says oh Shyt you got a manix and he just looked at her and asked how the hell she knew that .....I trained her well

A dream girl who's also a knife nut..Good luck with that one dude it took me years to find a girl who liked camping, fishing, being outdoors , has a job and is pretty on the eyes..We've been together for 18 years so I guess she's a keeper.. She also has no interest in knives other than the kitchen variety ..I believe there are "levels" of knife nuts....I'm a machinist and work with a bunch of guys who are outdoorsmen of differant types (hunting,fishing,camping,quad riders) but ALL of them carry knives and make good money...A Buck,Gerber or a SAK is what they use and have several.....

I'm a gun guy... I know the differance between a $150 pistol and a $450 pistol...One will normally jam all the time and be inaccurate...The other will be accurate and reliable..This is a huge performance differance between the two...Most guys who carry Bucks,Gerbers and SAKs won't notice any better performance from a $100+ blade...

CD

I don't think I'd lump Buck in with Gerber. They make some really nice quality knives. No comment on SAKs :)

I try to turn people I know by gifting them knives. WalMart in Canada regularly changes their knife inventory and liquidates their discontinued models. I recently bought 8 Kershaw Storms for $10 a pop, and half a dozen Buck Vantage Paperstones for $15 a pop. Also bought a couple Buck 55 for $20 each. I've bought Leatherman and Gerber full size multitools tools for $10.
These are real good quality knives for super dirt cheap.
I give them to family and people I work with. I think of it as my "good will towards man".

The only other knife nut I know is my best bud, he's got a nice collection, carries everyday, and knows his stuff.
I noticed a Storm clip on a guy I work with last week. I smiled. In fact, the same guy, who I also gave a Vantage to, used it to kill a bat that had invaded his basement.

Where are you located? I'm guessing there is a knife club nearby. You're bound to have some members near you. Organize a get together.

The only other knife knut I know is my dad, but he's a lot more interested in guns. I have some friends that are interested in knives, but don't really know anything about them. Not even enough to hold a conversation with me. =/

Back