Meeting Tom Mayo

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet and visit with one of the world’s premier knifemakers: Tom Mayo.

I have to say, that he is one of the most down-to-earth, accommodating, and pleasurable persons to be around. I initially mentioned to him that I wanted to drop by to see his work and talk knifemaking but was not interested in buying anything. Knowing that he is a busy guy, I was pleasantly surprised that he made some time and invited me over. Two hours flew by as we talked knives, guns, and knifemaking. I enjoyed his insight, straight forward manner, and of course, his wit. I hope that I can swing by again to watch Tom in action and talk knives

The features of his TNT line of folders are already well documented by numerous members, but for those of you who have never held one of his pieces, I wanted to give this summary. I was privileged enough to handle 4 TNT’s (2 XLG, one medium, and one small) and watch him assemble an XLG with a recurve blade.

The most striking thing about his knives is the QUALITY.
On all 4 models I handled the blade was always centered and there was NO bladeplay, a flawless execution of the “integral lock.” The ti slabs and pocket clip were finished to a beautiful “satin like” finish, all sharp edges were chamfered, and everything fit together with such precision that they SNAPPED together. Action was SMOOTH and lockup perfect.

After being blown away by the QUALITY, I noticed the thoughtful DESIGN.
The handle shape has a slightly curving back with contoured edges. It just fits your hand. It felt very good in my hand in the saber, reverse, and what I call the “steak-knife” grip. The handles were drilled for weight reduction and to give the knife an excellent balance. The small model was handle biased, the XLG models were slightly blade biased, and the medium was somewhere in between. Tom’s design allows for a lot of blade to be stuffed into the handle when closed. The oval opening cutout was left with a SLIGHT edge to it to let it grab onto the thumb when opening.

At the end of my visit, I was so impressed with not only the knives, but with the man himself that I ordered a large TNT with a recurve blade. For all of you who are thinking about getting a custom, you cannot go wrong with Tom’s work.

You still had your watch when you left? I can't wait to order a TNT from Jerry. oops...I mean Tom.

Brian brought you a pie??

I brought you "Guri Guri" ice cream.

I ordered a TNT a while back and now I got an e-mail from Tom that I "owe him my a**". Now I do admit that when I play baseball I bat both "right and left" but this is ridiculous! My wife is having a cow and I'm staring to wonder "If I give him my a**, what will he want next!!??"

Watch out Brian!:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Tom is a nice fellow and I have bought several blades from him. All are well made, sharp, and pretty cool looking as well. He is also a man of his word and handmakes his blades. I plan on buying more when my wife lets me :p !

Lets not forget...this is a family forum.... :p
If you want to talk about Hoss' rear maybe you should go over to the Strider Forum!! :p :)

MR EWING- and i use that mr term loosely...I think you and a few other of the detractors (Jerry Hossom in particular) should head to the =196 Degrees Post By Dr Destructo and release your hostilities over there!! :p
and dont worry......I am working on a BIG surprise for you next year in Atlanta!! :)

Originally posted by tom mayo
MR EWING- and i use that mr term loosely...I think you and a few other of the detractors (Jerry Hossom in particular) should head to the =196 Degrees Post By Dr Destructo and release your hostilities over there!! :p
and dont worry......I am working on a BIG surprise for you next year in Atlanta!! :)

LOL! It's because W&C is still not activated yet that I could not resist the opportunity to vent a little :)

Surprise??? I need to get the Strider guys on my side before the show next year :D

Hi Tom,

I don't think I've ever responded to one of your posts.

...i use that mr term loosely...the -196 Degrees Post By Dr Destructo...

Might I assume the title "Dr." is being used "loosely"? ;)

BTW...Very nice knives you make. Your knives are on a very short must-buy list of mine. Congrats on the kudos.

Sorry Dex....but Duane and me are REAL tight....and I already gave him a hit list for next June...with your name at the TOP...followed by Terrills of course!! :p
and John....we have REAL oysters around here...dont need any of those other kind!!! :(
Ron-is that your picture??? Cheer up buddy!!! :p :) :p :)
I would be HAPPY to make you a knife!! got watches?????

Originally posted by Dexter Ewing
BigHonu - you met Tom too? My sympathies for you....:p :D

Dexter,
As somone pointed out on the other forum, I actually took a wrong turn and ended up at Ken Onion's place....hence, the nice experience:p

Hi Tom,

Ron-is that your picture??? Cheer up buddy!!! :p :) :p :)
I would be HAPPY to make you a knife!! got watches?????

What you do you mean by "cheer up?" Don't I look happy in that picture? ;) I'm actually a serious guy with a dry wit...so maybe the picture fits me well!

I have several pictures of myself that looked better before scanning. This one ended up looking best "small." Want to know where that picture came from? My driver's license! (Does that now explain the expression? :) ).

Here's a picture of me and my younger son, Bryce. Here's a picture of me and my older son, Ross.

Do I look happier?

I do have watches: Three Luminox's and one Seiko. But I'm holding onto these. I'll pay cash if I can set the money aside.

Back