Mega Ratmandu Field Report?

Hey guys,

I don't often post on BF anymore, but I need some advice from folks in the know. I have a much modded Rodent 6 that is just a blast to use, and was wondering how a Mega Ratmandu would feel. I'd mostly be using it to carve wood, do general camp tasks, and if it wasn't too heavy, hike with it. Has anyone put one of these thick beasts to work? I'm a little skeptical about the thickness and wonder if the hybrid grind makes up for the uncommonly stout spine.

Let me know what you think, and please post pics if you've got them. Thanks in advance.

Some pics of my R6...

Seasoned Oak? No problem...
zoTQbqkl.jpg

5vfTUSUl.jpg

Curls...
mmhsYKxl.jpg

I was sceptical about the grind/thickness thing on the fat RMD/aka whotever you want to call it... but I used it for some cutting and it just works!

fcuk photobucket! can't even find my own pics...

I was sceptical about the grind/thickness thing on the fat RMD/aka whotever you want to call it... but I used it for some cutting and it just works!

fcuk photobucket! can't even find my own pics...

I’d love to see pics if you can find them—thanks for the reply. How does it compare to the 3/16ths RMD?

They have a skeltonized tang so they barely weigh more than the origionals. The tri grind is awesome i have a mega ratweiler and a few mega swamp wardens .. its a game changer once you get a feel for where the angles change on the blade . Highly recommend trying one

They were there just two weeks ago (no, really, it was two weeks - I checked the day off the last Ganzaaa to make sure). Maybe they'll come back - hard to imagine the Swamp without some form of RMD.
Glad I grabbed the one in tan&black g10 when I did!!

I'm sure they'll have some kind of RMD back soon. The Mega is a sweet blade, very well balanced, with an incredible handle. I think as a proof of concept the Mega had served it's purpose. It's a lot of grinding and material turned to chips/dust.

Last edited:
161204123_1079645219171210_8170760456161034829_n.jpg

Took the dog and the RMD for a hike today to try it out a bit. Obviously not a chopper, but it had the weight behind the edge to chop. Great for battoning, though it does split the grain well ahead of the edge. That massive shoulder does all the work. Tip seems well reiniforced for exploring/digging.

Best part of batoning the megas.. the fat spine keeps the edge fine ;)

Nice r6. That's my handy work. I got my hands on a mega mandu as well but still love my modded r6. I'll post some info if you're still interested. Let me know

Back