MEGA Ratweiler bit off more than she could chew! Ack!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by SpyderPhreak, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, you read that right. :eek: Not her fault though, I was pushing her a bit too hard, lol. Did some camping last week, the MEGA Rat was a great camp knife. :)

IMG_5708.jpg

If she was a bit longer, she could have easily made it through. I beat her flush into the wood, but it just wouldn't crack. Not enough sticking out at the tip to beat on, so backed up and pulled her out. Forsaken Mistress to the rescue!

IMG_5709.jpg

Stubborn piece of wood. Grain spiraled as I progressed through the stump. Why the heck this piece wouldn't have been split before sale was beyond me. :rolleyes: Was pretty wet too, relatively. :thumbsdown:
    IMG_5711.jpg

Gettin' there...
    IMG_5713.jpg

All done. :cool:
    IMG_5714.jpg

Hard to beat the FM! :D The Rat was doing well up to this point, works well to make smaller pieces for the campfire. I was hoping it would split that log (~7" dia.), but knew it would be pushing it. Thought maybe once I got the spine all the way in, the log would split. But it was too wet and tough. Oh well. :rolleyes:

2. ironwagon

ironwagon Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Great pics and post. Always enjoy seeing the Busse and kin in action!!

lmcq784 likes this.
  3. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    yes those are great pictures you got there. That wood looked really wet.

ironwagon likes this.
  4. SlamAdams

SlamAdams Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 13, 2020
    But...but...but knives aren’t for batoning

ironwagon likes this.
  5. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    I would take "slices" of the log instead of trying to split down the middle, but maybe that's just me.

6. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    It cracks me up every time I see most of the knife world complaining about knife abuse, and we are over here yelling "HELL YEAH!! BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT, BRO!!!". Lol!

7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Not terribly, but more than it should have been. This stuff was sawmill leftovers, that clearly hadn't sat long enough, especially when the one piece was ~7".

Haha! :p

That would have been the smart way to do it. ;) But after a couple three beers, I wasn't really caring about doing it the smart way. :p Hulk smash! :rolleyes:

This! :D

evltcat likes this.