1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by fishiker, May 23, 2018.

1. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Memorial Day is our opportunity to show respect to those who have and those who do give freely of themselves. I give thanks and prayer for all.

For many years it was the biggest family camping trip of the summer for us. It was a holiday weekend we could talk about and plan for months in advance. Things have changed with my parents getting along in years, my son starting his own life, and other family members just not "having the time" to camp. This year we're going to camp with a couple friends and my cousin and her family. It will be a very diverse and unique group. My cousin and her family are the most down to earth and genuine people I know. They judge nobody and welcome strangers with open arms. You can trust them with your life as long as you don't do them wrong. If you do, expect pay back and not from behind your back. They could care less about materialistic things as long as they have what they need. They own less than anyone I know and are happier than anyone I know. I like planning and list so I asked them about food and drinks. I was told "bring what you like and we'll make it work." I'm sure before the weekend is over I'll end up drinking Jim Beam and a can or two of Bush beer. I'm also sure I'll have a good time. So what are your big plans for the weekend?

2. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    No plans here. Connie is not working Sunday night because the contracted workers for the remodel are off for the holiday. Instead she will go in at 4am Monday morning until 10am, then go back Monday night at 10pm until 6am Tuesday.

3. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Sounds like a long day for the Boss. Hope the two of you get to relax a little.

4. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    nothing planned here for Monday.
    the last of my uncles who served in WWII was buried this morning.

5. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like he lived a long and meaningful life!

6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    1066vic, sorry about your loss. Memorial Day is a good day to remember him and what the greatest generation did for all of us, I wonder if we take it for granted. Be safe and remember all those who serve.

7. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Sorry for your loss, they really were the greatest generation.

No big plans for the long weekend. We don't usually cookout or camp on this weekend, but I do have a few projects to work on. As the ongoing saga of my retaining wall continues, I am having granite steps installed next week that go to my porch. I am pouring a concrete pad for support, so I will build a form for that and get it poured this weekend. Then hopefully relax a little, maybe work in my shop some, and maybe take my mom up to the veterans cemetery to visit dad.