Memories

In honor of the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend, thought it would be fun to put a little spin on it.

What is your one (or maybe more) knife that holds the most memories for you and why. Please post a picture of it and share with us some of the memories it holds for you. I am at work, but hope to post one later.

Can't wait to see some of these and the stories behind them.

With that said, please remember all the folks that gave "all" to protect this great country of ours.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Surely someone out there has a knife that belonged to their Dad, Grandfather, Mother, Grandmother, etc. that holds some fond memories for them, would LOVE to see them....and yes, in their used condition, to me, a used knife is the prettiest of them all.

Thanks!

These two old uglies arent used, the false Stag handled one is of course the older German camping knife, and the other is my brothers Imperial wildcat.
The german knife belonged to my very, very good friend who died just over a year ago, a great guy, and everday I miss the boy heaps....
The other is the Imperial, is as said my brothers, he died 20 years ago, and this is the knife that made my eyes bulge when I first saw it, WOW!!...he let me handle it, but I was only about 8 or 9 and never handled a knife before...so he showed me......I can still see him standing in his bedroom with it...
Two guys missed greatly, and here are their two ugly knives!!! lol, but man, they are so precious to me.
I have since cleaned with grade 0000 steel wool and mineral oil both knives, and detail cleaned the false stag handle...I promised my good friend I would do this -which upsets me I didnt do it for him before he died, it looks so much better -just has preserved it much as it is now, but a healthier look to the blade-not shiny of course...grade0000 steel wool doesnt shine at all, just cleans and with the oild de-activates the rust.
Im sorry, I dont have any neat old grandad knives...boy..Im wishing I did, but my family werent into knives at all, when I see our forum mates put up their grandads old pocket knives, I wonder if they know just how lucky they are to have such a great thing :thumbup:
Picture017.jpg

VERY NICE!! Thank you for sharing them, some great memories there for sure, I know you will always treasure them! I have really enjoyed seeing them and hearing of their connection to you.

i'd say this knife conjures up the most memories for me. it was my grandfathers carry knife. i remember when he called me and my brother over to his house to give us his knives. at the time i wasnt too familiar with knives. i remember getting back home and my father saying to my brother "hey you got a good one! its a buck!" i was a tad dismayed to be outdone but what do you do.

a couple years later, i traded him a spiderman comic book for it. i think i got the better end of the deal. :D

buck110blade-1.jpg

I'd say that was a great trade!!! Very nice, can't beat a 110...and some great memories too. Wouldn't it be awesome if some of our older "used" knives could talk! I'll bet they would have some amazing stories.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't have a picture of the fixed blade my Grandpa carried in WWII, but I don't have that many memories associated with it anyway. It was never used after he used it...gifted to me when I was young...and I haven't seen it in years. Hope to see it again someday...I think it is somewhere at my parents'. I have been in PA for the last two weeks trout fishing and this knife...

DSCF5695.jpg

...definitely evokes the most memories for me. It belonged to my Dad's brother. When he took his own life as a young man it became my Paupa's fishing knife. I have it now (Paupa is gone, now). I fished the last two weeks wearing his old vest and it was very moving to me. There is an old Sabre fishing knife tied to the same string that old Hammer striper was attached to. That knife got my Paupa out of some jams and gutted it's share of trout before my Paupa became a C&R fisherman later in life. I love fishing with my Dad as I have been, but I definitely feel the presence of my Paupa missing. Anyway, I have been thinking about him a lot lately. Was talking about the original owner of the knife with my Dad today.

Glad to contribute an already shown knife. :)

Both my grandfather's served in WWII. My dad was in the Navy. Thanks to all who serve and have served.

LOVE it, imagine the stories and good times that knife could recall if it could talk!!

45783_433824411600_600566600_5315181_3289663_n.jpg

This knife was a present from my wife...It came just before we left for a short vacation before she went home to get my visa in the works so I can move to the US to be with her (I haven't seen her since August last year except on webcam chat). It was a great weekend and I carried it the whole time, its one of my most memorable trips I'd taken with my wife and we had so much fun hanging out on the beach, seeing the sights and going to our favorite places that we'd been to on previous trips up there.

41363_433825646600_600566600_5315279_4920915_n.jpg

40080_433836766600_600566600_5315759_6808077_n.jpg

40963_433836921600_600566600_5315777_4532485_n.jpg

40963_433836906600_600566600_5315774_3016034_n.jpg

We had a unit that was 8 floors up right on the beach esplanade...each day we were there we got up to watch the sun rise, and spent the sunsets on the deck. Nothing could part me from this knife, it holds every memory of that trip. Its not old, its not expensive, but I couldn't put a price on it...I'm very sentimental :p

Funny how a little piece of fashioned metal can take us places.

Last edited:
Another GREAT memory! And, I'm with ya, there is no amount of money that could make me part with a few items I have that are very sentimental to me.

Some great pics too, thanks for sharing...I know you will treasure your knife always!

34 yrs ago this "Sharktooth" Case LB was in the PO.A gift from my Uncle John.
DSCF4326.jpg

I gutted my first buck with that knife
In this picture below is a boatsman/rope knife my Dad gave me along time ago. The steel bolster rusted bad,I had no idea back then it even was a non ss,I left it in my boat glovebox to find it like that! Wish I had not done that
In this picture,most of these are gifts from foreum friends & family & local friends. Some artifacts,too.The Army camillus is one stamped my birth year '63
I prob have more,too! Very generous folks here
DSC05404-1.jpg

Recent gift These are unused paring knives out of a box of a dozen,
for Shapliegh hardware,made by Ontario
DSC05373.jpg

I have gifted quite a few ,too & I have memories of them as well,and the formed friendships.
Cool thread,glad to add,great responses! Have a safe & fun holiday weekend all
-Vince

Dad was a decorated veteran of WWII in the Pacific. Bronze Star with cluster, Silver Star, and Legion of Merit. After spending a pot load of time in the jungle, he wasn't much for camping when I was growing up. But, he carried this little SAK-style knife pretty much all the time. It is the knife I associate with him. Dad passed some 25 years ago. Sometimes I still carry his knife. The main blade has a bit of wobble to it, but it still works just fine.

100_3135.jpg

Thanks for sharing, and for honoring your Dads memory. I know you will treasure his knife always.

THIS ONE....

P1040571.jpg
I bought this for my fathers 50th birthday more than 25 years ago.He was a refugee from the UKRAINE and him and survivors of my family were never more than 60 miles from the FRONT,for more than 2 1/2 years....they were liberated from ITALY with only the shirts on their backs...My father told me how him and his elder brother used to play with these knives as boys...there were plenty around....I pass this to my eldest son with the history that go,s with it...,,thank you all for sharing..............FES

Hard to imagine what they went through, much stronger than todays generation of young folks. Thanks for sharing.

Back