Mentors

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Icky Thump, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Icky Thump

Icky Thump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Was out, now back in. Brought back by the Mega Warden and WS. Got out when the WW and Park Rangers were hittting..My main interest at that time leaned toward the smaller EDC friendly offerings..had and was chasing 55's, Meaners, GW's..and the like. So it was with tear in eye, w/ my last glance back.., was seeing the Mentor. I held fast, and moved in the direction of my momentum in pursuit of things that go bang instead of clang.

Well. Back in. Found a couple of Mentors. Wow. Pretty awesome. Always liked longer proportioned handle/blade config. Issued a cable/splices knife in another life..used if for years, still do. Like a stout scalpel.

Stout scalpel. Yea. Understatement w/ the Mentor. Love the size and typically prefer drop points. Stock is right on. .15/.16..nice balance. The elephant in the room is the handle. And it's a bull. Great in hand..thought of carrying this iwb..as I do my Mega Warden (just about perfect by the way.. looking for a WW for that as well) but, nope. 5' 10", med. frame..won't work. Thought about a horizontal cross draw, but..would be difficult for me to conceal/discrete carry, for sure. Camp/cowboy..tactical carry? All day. Love this blade.

Found two CS's I couldn't say no to.. waiting for second one to land. Help hold me over w/ pics, sheaths as well. Wore out all the images on line, most were from this board and not much if any discussion since these were first dispersed.

Looking to put these two into leather and if I can find a micarta version..kydex, for sure. So, any experience carrying/using..?..please, chime in..w/ pics, or just lament..Sing praise to your Mentor.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    lmcq784 likes this.
  2. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The Mentor was an instant favorite. Its the best small knife for big hands, bar none. Im getting mine some nice Armorall leather pants real soon.

Icky Thump likes this.
  3. Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, @DamascusBowie..thought I'd have to bring up retro utility vehicles or std's to get any traction..

Maybe it bad form to start thread w/ out a pic myself. I'll open w/ high card.. my one and only, at present. Check, call, raise?

20201214_164554.jpg

Listed as buffalo horn w/ G' Rex'ed blk G10 bolster/liners. These are begging for a crowed spine.

Were all of these either satin or dbl cut..all high saber? Thought I saw a pic of one that looked hollow ground..one of three in pic..dyed green wood slabs..believe it was one of yours DamascusBowie..old sale thread came up searching images.

Pics of the Armorall pants when the haberdasher is done, please.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Twoody, d762nato and ScoMa like this.
  4. Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    20201215_142035.jpg

American steel and walnut, a favorite combo..having a geek spasm over this pair of Mentors.

Walnut, G Rex'd
    w/ brown micarta bolsters/liners, solid nickel pins.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    IIRC, there weren't a ton of custom-scaled Mentors. I think most of what's out there came in grab bags, I don't believe the custom scales were ever offered directly for sale.

They are amazing blades if you have big hands. My only regret is not getting one with custom scales like you've shown. That buffalo horn one is simply amazing!!! :cool: I'm happy with my pair, however.

Icky Thump likes this.
  6. Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks @SpyderPhreak ! I've med hands and it works, feels great. The straight handle is probably more forgiving to either side of optimum size mitts. And nice to have that extra real estate in the handle working w/ gloves.

Sucker for buffalo. Was on the horn kick a few years ago..mostly traditional knives..was buying all the buffalo I could find..Had some nice GEC's and a few vintage slip joints w/ the material. Definitely a favorite. Couldn't pass this up.

Drivers side.

20201216_040018.jpg

Thanks again for that info. I know little about this offering. Very happy to have found this pair.

Twoody likes this.
  7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks for the other picture! Beautiful!!! :cool:

Icky Thump likes this.
  8. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Congrats on some great blades.
    Garth

Icky Thump likes this.