metal handles

.There are some knives I'd like to buy, but I live in the south. That is to say, the humidity here is 1000% 24 hrs/day. The 2 I've purchased with metal handles, between my hand sweat, wet cutting conditions, or whatever, practically fly out of my hand. the Endura and any other highly textured material work better. Does this happen to anyone besides me? I'm the only person who won't buy a sebenza unless crk puts duct tape all over it:p . well, that saves me some money-Zytel forever!

Yes, metal handles are much less grippy.
I still would like a SS handled Endura though.
I don't mind zytel. They're not as bad as people portray. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that are better (I handled a G10 Police and that thing is sweet!!!), but still I think Zytel/FRN would give you much more grip than smooth SS handles.

Any nicely textured G-10 should work well for you as well. Some metal handles, like the ones from MT with the kraton inserts work well also.:)

imho G10 forever lol, i think that darned zytel looks CHEAP, works good though i must admit.....

greg

What about Cold Steel's Kraton? I hear its very good under those conditions, you might wanna check out their selection :O

Emerson Knives makes nearly all of their folders with G-10 scales. It works great under the given conditiona. The raven has scales made from something they call Kydron, which is a polymer based sort of thing, it is textured for extra grip. Their PUK fixed blade has molded handles, but I am not sure of their content.

Dijos, I agree with you. Metal handles become an annoyance in hot and humid climates. Zytel, Kydron, FRN, CIA, KGB, XYZ or whatever you want to call what is essentially "plastic" will work better to provide a good grip. Some folks say it looks cheap and some complain that polymer handles are weak, but then again, it depends on what your intended use is. G-10 is a far better material in my opinion, but I don't mind polymer plastic zytel fibre reinforced glass filled nylon composites. :D

Metal handles are on my list of dislikes. I have a few metal handled folders and they quickly drop out of use.

Give me synthetic scales and I'm happy. There are some metal handled knives I really want in a G-10 or something such as the BM 94x series

Phil

Dijos
We have the same problem over here in Houston! Zytel works great but like Sifu says looks kind of cheap but if its a hrd use work knife that's not always a problem. The textured G10 scales on my benchmades are great. Of course our other problem is rusting - I collect slipjoints mainly. Carbon Steel blades just love that Gulf Coast humidity.
As a side note I knew my knife addiction was getting out of control when i started daydreaming about moving somewhere with a dry heat :D

I agree, a stainless steel handle will definitely be slippery when wet. However, I would not dismiss the Sebenza out of hand if I were you. I find the titanium Sebenza handle to be much grippier than stainless steel, even in a wet or humid environment.

Originally posted by Fireshaker
What about Cold Steel's Kraton? I hear its very good under those conditions, you might wanna check out their selection :O
*Shudder* The problem is most of the time Cold Steel's Kraton is not removable. I wanted to get my SRK coated but that would me I'll pay an arm and a leg (my perspective of course) to get it rehandled afterwards. Didn't quite justify for a knife of that price. Still it's a great beater.

In a wet or humid environment, I'd definitely take my <i>lowly</i> frn handled Endura over most anything. The handle isn't slippy at all, the price is right (that's important to me, and the reason I don't "move up" to a G-10 Military or something similar) and it's way lighter than the metal handled Endura. If I want "nice" or "fancy," I'll get some kind of stag slipjoint. If I want something that works like a mule and keeps coming back for more, my frn Endura gets the call.

Dijos,
Hello from Alexandria!
I know exactly what you are talking about,in 98 degree weather with 80% humidity, metal handles are dangerous.That is why most of my carry knives are FRN or G-10.
I have several aluminum/steel handled Spyderco,Camillus and CRKT's , but they sit mostly uncarried in my collection.

I use both SS (Police, Native and Delica) and FRN (Endura, Delica) Spydercos, and as day-to-day users the Zytel items are more comfortable and a lot safer. I tried the G-10 Military but it's way too expensive here.

I still think the SS Police is the coolest SD-knife ever, with that serrated "OH SH*T"-blade and the sturdy pommel. The SS Delica is strictly a dress knife. I bought the SS Native for hard use, but I'm going to have it engraved (a checkered pattern) or inlaid with some woody or rubbery thingie - any ideas, folks?

I love my Spyderco Endura, but not all metal handles are slippery. Check out the Gerber Air Ranger (and check out my review in the Review/testing forum). The aluminum handle has a rough/grippy diamond-cut texture that is very secure.

Or check out the Gerber AR3.00. It has an aluminum handle with kraton inserts cast in the handle. It's hard to explain but check them out and you will understand.
I prefer the Air Ranger.

Not to bash Sebenzas, but smooth titanium is just as slippery as smooth steel.

Good luck,
Allen.

I agree with you about the slippery metal handle especcially the Stainless ones. I have a couple of Benchmades in Brushed Aluminum (or whatever they call it) and they are not slick at all even with wet hands. Take a look at the 940 series or even the 770. The 770 type comes in Carbon Fiber or Alum. It is a fairly small knife and hence harder for me to grip but my 941 with the alum/ handle is one very good knife for the money. That axis lock is hard to beat and that series fo Osborne/940 seems to come in all kinds of blades and colors. Buy three of them for the price of one Sebenza. Or maybe you can buy 100 Chinese knock-offs...well never mind.

I like the BM 940 series aluminum and some of the carbon fiber scales. But for everyday use, I prefer textured G-10 to any material. It seems to be the best of all worlds--slides out easily; is plenty grippy; and is nearly indestructible.

Besides the heat, it's the scratches and dings that can get me crazy in a metal handled knife; or the anodizing getting scratched off.

But I still do like bead blasted titanium, though.

Zytel, G-10 and the like - don't mind if my finger rings scratch 'em; or if the knife falls and skids across the floor. I won't pick the thing up and then give it a microscopic going-over to see what damage I'd done.

So, besides the heat and sweat thing, you won't get all worked up hot and sweaty over what happened to the scales.

The Spyderco ProGrip II is another knife that is available with a stainless steel handle and Kraton inserts for better grip.

i'd have to say since most of my stuff is not for hard use i prefer the metal handles purely because of looks. most kinds of polymer handles just look cheap

Back