Metal Wrapped Wooden Sheath

TK Steingass

Knifemaker - Buckeye
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
san mai web.jpg Greetings All,

Recently I made my first attempt(s) at some metal embellishments on a wooden sheath. After six attempts at trying to form and braze the sheath tip cover out of 410 SS, I gave up and machined a chunk of 303 stainless and pinned it to the end of the wooden sheath. The upper piece with the stud was easier but fitup was labor intensive for the brazed joint.

There's got to be an easier way without having to buy a tig welder. Any pointers you fellas can provide? What materials, joining methods, and thickness did they use back in the 1800s? I see a lot of bowie sheaths had metal coverings back then.

I haven't had much luck finding a book, video, or WIP, so any help would be appreciated.

V/R,

TK

i agree with a vigil. the SS is finicky to solder, as you probably know. and you can use regular %4 silver solder, and it will stick better on the nickel. i think i used the hi temp pure silver solder last time i made a SS fuchi/kashira. were your joining edges 400 grit or higher ? how close was the gap ? when i solder a fuchi band, its closed with a twisted copper wire and each side of the band is touching so there is not much gap. after you are done soldering, you can do repairs on the hard silver hi temp solder joint with the 4% silver low temp solder to fill any pinholes or low spots :rolleyes:

Use sterling or nickel silver.
Brass is easy to work, and can be easily nickel plated after the parts are made.

Back