metric roundstock

Hi. I am having trouble locating metric sized roundstock which I need in ss,brass and n/s. All my knives are European and all the suppliers I know use inch dimensions. Any ideas or help? Thanks, Dave

I am having trouble figuring out European knives?!?!?!?!?! And what that might have to do with the sizes of your materials, but whatever.

If you can't find anything in the States, try Brisa here.
http://www.brisa.fi/start3.html

:confused:

Edited to add; Welcome to BFC, enjoy.:D

Mike, it seems the concensus is to reduce US inch stock. I'm looking for precision of 1/1000th or less. I need metric for blade pivot pins and bolster stays and I want my blades to sit as straight and tight as possible. I'm getting hits from the other forums and will post results of what I find in a week or so.Dave

Are you trying to say that you only have metric tools :confused:

Or are you customizing stuff? I did have trouble with pinstock when I made a new handle for a spyderco delica, all the holes were 3mm or something like that.

Matt, you got it. I am disassembling, tweaking and installing custom scales on European folders and need roundstock in metric size for pivot pins and bolster stays. I have regular tools but need stock for tight as possible tolerances to keep blade straight and tight.Dave

That makes sense. Can't help ya on where to find metric stuff, other than you might ask one of the folder gurus around here that has a lot of machine tools to make you some custom hardware.
I used american stock and worked it down to size, or reamed the holes out to size when I did the delica. It gave acceptable results, but not as good as I can get starting from scratch.

Matt, there just doesn't seem to be many sources of metric roundstock but I am in contact with one outlet who may come through. I'll post what I learn. Dave

This email arrived today, my third communication with them:

First, we must clarify. Parker Steel is a wholesaler. We are not authorized to sell our material to private individuals.
Therefore, prior to any sales, we would require a list of credit and bank references and a tax exempt form from you.
That said, here are some prices.

2mm grade 1018 low carbon steel 3 pieces 12" $2.70/each (this is the only grade of carbon in which we stock this size)

2mm grade 304 Stainless Steel 3 pieces 12" $6.20/each

2mm grade 360 Brass 3 pieces 12" $4.10/each

3mm grade 1045 medium carbon steel 3 pieces 12" $4.00/each

3mm grade 304 Stainless Steel 3 pieces 12" $7.55/each

3mm grade 360 Brass 3 pieces 12" $5.55/each

We do have a $75 minimum order charge plus a $5.00 packaging and handling charge. The price is FOB, Toledo, OH. We can ship this material via UPS.

Regards,

Dick Dail
-----Original Message-----
Sorry for the mislead. Still looking. Dave

Thanks, Gouge. I ordered three 3'x3mm pieces for $17.79 shipping included. Not bad, these should last awhile. I will post their arrival and comments. Dave

Back