• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Micarta dust

I have worked with micarta a little, prefering wood or antler. the question I have is " Is the dust flamable?"
I treat it as though it is, I kave my fire extinguisher on the wall, but I was curious.
Thanks

It's finely divided organic stuff - phenolic resin & fiber - so assume it's at least as flamable as sawdust. And, while no dust is especially healthy to inhale, micarta dust is nastier than most. You don't want it in your lungs.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James is right get a mask. You really don't want any dust from anything grindable going into your lungs.Some are much nastier then others. Besides Micarta, Carbon Fiber is another biggie you don't want to inhale.You can get a good mask just about anywhere and it will be one of your best investments.
Bob

Thanks for your help, and your concern. I have a mask and actually use it!

Back