Micarta vs. G10? (Please help!)

I'm going to have a knife made, and the maker (GENE INGRAM) has told me that he can make the knife and ship it with the following choices of scale materials:

-Ivory paper micarta with black liners
-Tan linen micarta with black liners
-Black linen micarta with red liners
-Natural G10 with black liners

I have some experience with G10, though not Natural G10, but I DON'T have any experience with micarta. Thus, forgive these questions if they seem a little silly:

Is there a difference between the paper micarta and the linen micarta? A difference in grippiness? Would you choose one of the micarta slabs (if so, which one and why?) or the G10? PLEASE HELP!! I'm a little clueless here, and I'm not sure quite what to choose!

Also, I've seen a lot of Gene's work here, and heard a lot of good things, but anyone got any 1st hand stories? Thanks, again!

Sincerely,
Anthony

Heard that paper micarta is smoother...
Also heard that they are "machined" (or more like shaped) quite easily, although I don't know how.
Perhaps the people hanging at the shoptalk can actually help out better.

I apologize in advance for the short answer, I could go on for quite sometime about micartas and G10, but its late and time for sleepy. Anyway, I would call the maker, tell him the primary use for the knife, what you expect, and see what he recomends. Good luck -- Charles

I am going to re-direct this and move it to Shop Talk. You might get a good perspective from the body of knife makers who post there.
Dave

I think C. Marlowe has probalby given you the best answer here. If you call him and let him know what you are looking for, I'm sure the maker will be happy to help you. That being said, will give some input on my own preferences.

I like micarta over g10. No real logical reasons for this, it's jsut one of those things where that's what I like and I can't give a good reason for it. :) Linen micarta seems to me to give a slightly gripper surface, while, as said, the paper micarta is smoother. All are very tough materials. Colors of course are up to you, one of the interesting things about the ivory micarta though is that it scrimshaws very nicely. I doubht this is really a huge concern toyou, but it might be something to think about. Looks very nice, and actually will probalby ask graphics guy here at work to do some scrimshaw for me sometime.

My personal choice, knowing nothing aobut the particular blade, or your use for it, would be the black and red. I like this color combination, and tend to be a fan of tactical style knives, so would take the black over the other colors. And even on tactical knives, the liner isn't very visible, so the red gives knife accent without affecting use as tactical blade. But again, that's all just my opinion(well, except for the scrimshaw stuff), I'm sure everyone on here will give you a slightly different answer. Two best bits of advice I can say, are, as c. marlowe alreayd said, call the maker and talk to him and ask his advice, and secondly, if you can get to a good knife shop or gun show and check out bbaldes with each kind of handle material, get your hands on them and see what you think. Because that does make a big difference to some people. Like I love the craftsmanship, price and utility on Becker bowie's, but something about the handle just doesn't feel right to me. Nothing wrong witht he knives,t hey're great knives, well made, the handle just doens't feel right to me. So yeah, anwyays, call and talk to him, and see if you can get your hands on knives with all those materials.

Back