MICRO AXES What do you do with them?

Due to the eye dimensions, im afraid every wooden haft would break off quickly. Do you have any tips for securing a haft made of synthetic material? I got some phenolic resin cotton laminate that i find great. Putting a wedge would probably break it apart, though.

If the eye is that small maybe you want to check out some hardwood dowels at the hardware store. These can be shaped with a rasp easily enough. And if you think a wedge is too much then perhaps drill an undersized pilot hole and twist in an old-fashioned tapered wood screw.

make a mini fire
2v2ukS9GDxurAoi.jpg

Due to the eye dimensions, im afraid every wooden haft would break off quickly. Do you have any tips for securing a haft made of synthetic material? I got some phenolic resin cotton laminate that i find great. Putting a wedge would probably break it apart, though.

You'd likely be surprised by just how tough woods like hickory, ash, and beech can be, even in thin sections. I'd try wood before going to synthetics.

The dimensions are as follows: 12.5mmx8mm
Although, considering how small the axe is, i would rather use it in knife-like cutting motion. That would put quite a bit of force on the handle.

It's eminently do-able but you'll want to fit everything precisely and not make the handle very long. Making a super fine kerf (via coping saw or something else with a very thin blade) and inserting a thin wedge will be the real test. Don't forget this head is not very heavy and the most you'll ever be doing with it is (trying to) chop through chicken bones.

In trying to optimize the amount of handle material in the eye for fitting a wedge perhaps clamping the haft tightly and very precisely where the saw kerf would end, and starting the wedge 'kerf' with a chisel, would be advantageous. With a controlled split started you can then drill a 1/16" relief hole to correspond with where the wedge kerf ends. Such a procedure is an adaptation of how 'old timers' kept cracks in glass and cast iron from continuing to 'grow' but ought to be similarly effective on tightly-fitted shoulders of wood handles.

Back