Microsoft Chat

SB

I've been hearing about problems with Parachat lately, and I remember a while back that if anyone had a suggestion, you guys (mods) would hear it out.

Well, I haven't heard anything, but I do have a possible suggestion. How about Microsoft Chat? Does everything Parachat does, and more, and is even friendlier. No ads to annoy the heck out of you with. No spam-mail. Completely free, sponsored by one the biggest name in the computer industry. And because it uses its own client, no need to worry about java. Last but not least, it's very entertaining as it looks like you're in a comic strip (or you just just use plain text if you're into serious chatting).

Downside is that it still doesn't solve the spoofing problem. But then, I have yet to come across a chat client out there that allows you to save your own accounts.

I dunno, what do you folks think?

Hey, great idea! I used that little program a few months ago, and I loved it. Very cute in its comic strip concept, and yet very user friendly. I was thinking about Palace Chat, but that one gets really slow at times.

I am looking into it now. I just downloaded IE5 and while there I looked at it. At first glance it looks like we will have to set it up on our server. Also there may be a Frontpage '98 or 2000 version which will work in the CGI bin MS has set up. Problem is our site is on a unix server. However I do have a FP '98 Server I can use but it will mean moving the chat of this server. I will let ya know.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator

Mike, the chat program from Microsoft can just run off Microsoft's own server. You can just create a special "channel" for the members here. Even when no one is online and chat and the channel gets deleted, it will still be recreated the very next time ANYONE of us log in again. If I remember correctly, you are automatically placed in the last channel you visited the next time you log in. If the channel does not exist, it will be created.

I'm complete unfamiliar with MS Chat, but if you have to download IE to do it, I'm very reluctant to use it: I *HATE forcing the user to download software if they don't need to.

I'm going to the MS Site right now to investigate this, I'll post any information that I find.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

What Spearpoint said. We don't need to set it up. We only need to download the client program (2-3 megs I think) and use Microsoft's server if you want. And to make sure we don't typo into wrong rooms, we can set the client to a preselected default name. (ex. bladeforums.com)

Yes, that also means everyone has to download and use a proprietary client from the Big 'M' itself. Technically-speaking though, everytime we use Parachat, we're downloading Parachat's client via Java. But it is just a technical quibble.

Well, anyhow, it's just a suggestion.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SB (edited 11-07-98).]

SB,

The HUGE difference is that Parachat is only a 58k Java file. Also the people who are having the most problems are using IE4. I just downloaded IE5 and all my problems went away. Well not all my problems, I still need to fix my daughters tree house.

Ok, I checked out the software today, right after my initial post. Here's the deal:
<FONT color="#FF0000">Parachat</FONT>
<UL>
[*]Pluses:
<UL>
[*]Only 52k download. </LI>
[*]Can be accessed from the web, through browser.</LI>
[*]Is simple to use </LI>
[*]Requires no set up</LI>
[*]Doesn't require special software</LI>
[*]Doesn't run on our server</LI>
[/list]
[*]Minuses:
<UL>
[*]Uses Java, and Java is inherently unstable.</LI>
[*]Browser compatability issues</LI>
[*]If the Parachat Server's go down, Parachat doesn't work</LI>
[/list]
</LI>
[/list]
<FONT color="#FF0000">MSChat</FONT><FONT color="#FF0000">, <FONT size="-1">(and other IRC style chats)</FONT>:</FONT>
<UL>
[*]Pluses:
<UL>
[*]Uses IRC format and commands.</LI>
[*]Is a seperate program, and is more stable than Java</LI>
[*]Can be subscribed to through Channels(? Need more research)</LI>
[*]Allows graphical chat, similar to a user interactive comic strip</LI>
[*]People can use any IRC program to get to the chat.</LI>
[/list]
</LI>
[*]Minuses:
<UL>
[*]1.7 Mb download</LI>
[*]Has all of IRC's problems, including nuking, flooding, chat room takeovers</LI>
[*]It's a MS product, and as such, has many "features", aka flaws</LI>
[*]Requires user setup</LI>
[*]Is more "difficult" for people without computer experience, causing less "walk in" traffic.</LI>
[/list]
</LI>
[/list]
So, really guys, we are almost discussing apples and oranges here.

However, as always, we are open to what you guys want to do. Are there enough people to justify us discontinuing this format? Do the plusses outweigh the minuses?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited 11-07-98).]

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited 11-07-98).]

Whoa, just found out they have a new "thing" called V-Chat. Looks like the Microsoft version of Palace Chat... But that's just silly now.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Spear Point (edited 11-07-98).]

SpearPoint, exactly, it's a stand alone application, which means that it's one more thing for people to have to download.

I agree, the program (and IRC in general) is more versatile than the Parachat program, however, the problem is that we are still in our "growth" stage, and as such, we are trying to attract as many people as possible, and as a result we want to keep it as simple as possible.

If there is enough demand for it, I promise, we *will* switch to IRC format for our chats. Ideally, I would like to have a web browser compatable IRC program, so that the people who do have the experience can use their favorite IRC program, while the newcomer's have an easy alternative.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg

Insert witty quip here

You were aware of the problem I was having, having tried to help me through it. But I did get through it by clearing my cache and rebooting. If everyone was having the same problem, and this is the fix, its no biggie. But if there are other problems of greater magnitude I’m not aware of, then we should let you, the expert, make a informed decision.

Just my $.002

------------------
Take Care,

LD

I personally would love to go to an IRC format. More fun, versatile and I'm always having Java problems.

That's my vote!
smile.gif

Leslie

Back