Microtech Kestrel or Vector?

After taking a look at these two knives (manual versions), I can't help but to want one. Not sure which one to get though. Both look real nice. Personally I like the look of the Vector better, but I'm also interested in the locking bar on the Kestrel. I've heard some bad things about Microtechs failing spine whack tests so a stronger lock seems more reassuring. Anyone care to steer me in either direction?

------------------
Simon Yu

"I look at it this way. If things get much worse I'll be too dead to care."

Hi Simon!

Both the vector & Kestrel sports the same locking mechanism so you can't go wrong with either one!

------------------
Joel Pirela
Graphic & Knife Designer

I would choose the Kestral over the Vector. The Kestral is a sleeper in my opinion, much better at daily chores (opening packages, boxes, cutting straps) than many people realize. Plus it has a stronger point than the Vector.

In my opinion the Vector looked good on paper but doesn't live up in function. It has none of the tip strength tanto's are known for and looses the awesome slashing ability of true hawk blades. A poor compromise for functon.

But if this purchase is a blade just for show, the Vector is an attention getter!

Just my $.02!

Take Care,
Al

[This message has been edited by Biginboca (edited 03-12-2000).]

I prefer the Kestrel for it's blade, but I sold it pretty soon due to the handle configuration, too limiting in my opinion, a hawkbill knife is normally used in a pull cut and the handle of those seem too restrictive, the Hawk on the other hand is a larger version and the handle is more accomadating, wish they had just reduced the Hawk's overall size.

Also wanted to state that I thought the blade was ground flawless and the fit up excellent, good knife in that respect just didn't care for the grip of the handle.
my .oooo1/2
G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 03-13-2000).]

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with a Kestrel. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information about the Hawk on any web site I visited but I did manage to drool a bit over pics of some of the Automatics that Microtech makes . . . *sigh* Too bad I can't even order them and just keep them at home like my balisongs.

------------------
Simon Yu

I like the Kestrel.It was my first Microtech and was impressed.I think their variation of the liner lock has been overlooked by many knife buyers.The Microbar lock is kind of like a high tech recessed leaf lock.It gets its spring from a strong wire coil and the ceramic detent keeps a silky smooth blade movement.I would'nt go so far as to say its as strong as an intregal lock but its as close as I've seen a liner lock come to it.I've heard a lot of the MA Socom's failing the spine wack test.I tried it on my Kestrel and it passed.
BTW theres an artical on both knives in Jan.issue of Tacital Knives magazine.

I like the Kestrel.It was my first Microtech and was impressed.I think their variation of the liner lock has been overlooked by many knife buyers.The Microbar lock is kind of like a high tech recessed leaf lock.It gets its spring from a strong wire coil and the ceramic detent keeps a silky smooth blade movement.I would'nt go so far as to say its as strong as an intregal lock but its as close as I've seen a liner lock come to it.I've heard a lot of the MA Socom's failing the spine wack test.I tried it on my Kestrel and it passed.
BTW theres an artical on both knives in Jan.issue of Tacital Knives magazine.

I can't reiterate strongly enough, that yes, MTs, especially SOCOMS, fail the spine whack test miserably...UNTIL THEY SEAT, which will take a few whacks. After that they are ROCK SOLID and my MA and DA will take any amount of abuse that I care to give them. But again, I concede that intially when new, they fail miserably. Back on topic, my Kestrel Auto arrived today.

I love my Kestrel Auto. The Vector looks pretty cool, but can't justify paying $100 more. The Kestrel looks pretty cool by itself. It was my first Microtech and my first auto. I hear that Microtech makes the best production autos and I agree (although I haven't played with too many autos). Hopefully this pic will show. I've been having problems getting them to show in Bladeforums. If you guys are having trouble, go ahead and jump to my photoalbum.
View

------------------
Sebenza....Because life is too short.

My photoalbum:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=234554&a=1741843

Oh great, just what I need. More reasons to wish I could legally get autos . . . Hmmm . . . maybe if I join the army or marines for a short bit . . . It's only a few years of my life . . .
biggrin.gif

------------------
Simon Yu

Back