Microtech Knives Question?

To the original question: I look at various things when buying a knife; and although I may be one of few, I look at the business standards and practices of a company, as well as the quality of the product. I would love to own a Microtech. I love many of their knives, and their designs are very unique. Yet, I just can not pull the trigger when it comes to buying them. Dig around here and read about their business practices and customer service, and that may help you make a decision on what to buy. I know that it helped me. FYI: Best Customer Service I personally have ever received was Chris Reeve, followed buy Kershaw and Spyderco.

It's a shame what you hear about their business practices and ripping off Kershaw designs because they certainly make some of the most beautiful and innovative knives. Microtech needs a big shot of humility.

I love my socom elite as well, lockup is awesome and the tolerances are great, I've paid more for other knives that were of less quality, they just catch hell for some of their business practices, and heard their CS wasn't all that great, but overall they make a pretty sweet knife. One thing that bugs the crap outta me though is their screws, every other knife company on earth uses torx screws , not microtech you get their special can't adjust a dang thing on the knife screws.

Welcome to the forums TTibbetts. Microtech......well when you keep moving your manufacturing around the
country, can't make a large portion of your OTF's function properly, don't provide a good customer service, don't keep
componet records, and are failing at gun manufacturing kits, then you have to jack up the prices.:(

I want to add a MT to the EDC rotation, I'm a fan of tip up so the SOCOM elite isn't a good fit. I do like the G10 on the SOCOM Delta, tip up carry but all the Blades in that series that I've seen are tanto blades, do they come in a non-tanto blade?

I'd be fine with a plain blade in S35VN.

I want to add a MT to the EDC rotation, I'm a fan of tip up so the SOCOM elite isn't a good fit. I do like the G10 on the SOCOM Delta, tip up carry but all the Blades in that series that I've seen are tanto blades, do they come in a non-tanto blade?

I'd be fine with a plain blade in S35VN.

I felt the same way about tip up but the Socom is more than excellent with tip down carry. I'd say its about like a Spyderco Military. If you haveng tried it solely because it's tip down only, you're missing out on a sweet knife.

The price a company charges for their products is based on a lot of factors. Most successful companies will research what they can get for their products based on actual costs, advertising costs, perceived value by their prospective customers, etc. If they don't stay in business, then their research was wrong, or their products and 0r service is sub par. I don't own a Cadillac, but think they are a quality car, and based on the price of other cars available today, they are probably worth what they charge for them as they sell year after year. I personally own an 8 year old Toyota that gets me where I want to go and back home safely. I will never own a Cadillac, not because I don't want one, but because they are out of my price range. But God Bless those that can afford one.
A little off topic but my futile attempt to justify why Microtech charges what they do for a knife that will do the same thing as a $30 Buck or Kershaw.

Omar
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I will need to put one in hand to see what it's all about. The customer service comments do make me nervous though. I pay $250.00 plus for a knife, I don't want here any crap about fixing it, at that price it really should be a no questions asked type of deal like with my ESEE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I will need to put one in hand to see what it's all about. The customer service comments do make me nervous though. I pay $250.00 plus for a knife, I don't want here any crap about fixing it, at that price it really should be a no questions asked type of deal like with my ESEE.

Make sure to buy from a reputable dealer, and you should never have to deal directly with Microtech.

Good luck man! :)

As far as customer service goes they have been quick to help me. I am in the process of sending my Socom Elite back to the factory to get it sharpened and have had responses to all my questions in less than an hour.

Back