Microtech, MICROBAR® Lock - reliable?

I want to know is the Microtech MICROBAR® Lock a reliable lock mechanism?
In my experience without a doubt - but what is your opinion/experience?

SOCOM Elite MA, just playing with it, really, no heavy use ... the lock feels great. Locks up tight, no problem white-knuckling, no twisting (with that aluminum handle!)

I also find that the grip is so good, being a broad area on top of the bar, that I can close it left-handed.

I trust it. I think it might be my EDC if I didn't have the Sebenza.

There was a debate once at BM forum regarding the subj.
Basically someone's MicroBar® lock failed, and someone's lock during the discussion.
Don't recall any other one. Mine feels ok, though I don't use it.

The MicroBar is thicker than most liner locks at the contact point against the blade. Accordingly, in theory, it would seem that the lock would have some added protection against failure due to flexing as a result of extreme torque. Perhaps the weakest link is the mechanism's pivot which seems like a tiny bar not unlike those that hold the wristband of a wristwatch in place. Otherwise, frankly, it's hard for me to imagine this lock failing under normal conditions. Nonetheless, I often wonder why--if this lock is so strong and secure--the design has not been used on later MicroTech knives (after the SE, Kestrel and Vector).

How much longer will Microtech survive? Any new knives on the horizon? Was the Ultratech a success? Hey MT, Is anybody home?

Back