Microtech Socom Elite - It arrived! Pictures and intial thoughts

Well it was home waiting for me by the time I got home from work. Initial thoughts are that the size and shape are amazing. It opens smooth and very fast. Fit and finish are wonderful. In fact, my only quarrel with the knife is a slightly sticky lock but I'm hoping that goes away with time/lubrication. It carries very deep in the pocket as well making it pretty low key. I'd say she's definitely a keeper. Now on to the pics.

dsc01028a.jpg

dsc01026gb.jpg

dsc01029o.jpg

dsc01035k.jpg

dsc01036hk.jpg

dsc01037lv.jpg

dsc01039kl.jpg

dsc01044wf.jpg

These are nice blades. I know everyone is raving about the Socom Deltas and those are nice...but I prefer the Socom Elites.

I've been looking at that exact blade for a long time... I'd kill to get the 2012 model in green or tan, but I have the chance to pick up a nib black one for just under 200 bucks. There are so many things on the wishlist right now, it's hard to be sure without having the opportunity to handle the goods beforehand :D

Grats on a nice purchase and thanks for the great pics :)

I am sending mine into Microtech. My lock bar sticks extremely badly. It has torn my thumb up. But, the CTS204P holds a great edge.

I am sending mine into Microtech. My lock bar sticks extremely badly. It has torn my thumb up. But, the CTS204P holds a great edge.

Keep at it man. Add some pencil graphite to the lock face and keep opening and closing it. Mine is definitely getting better with use.

Just worked out a trade for an identical knife with tanto blade. Should arrive Monday. How do you like the carbon fiber compared to traction tape inserts?

hows the pocket clip retention, I have the chance to trade a 561 for the same socom elite has pictured above, I have 2 concerns though 1 is that I've heard horror stories about microtechs CS and 2 is those screws. On all my knives i take the clip off and bend it a little just to get better retention in the pocket but i see that microtech has it's on style screws and you can't adjust the friggin thing, so my question is do you think that the pocket clip holds the knife in the pocket well, as in you think any chance your knife may fall out?? I know the knife comes with a sheath but i'm not gonna carry a folder in a sheath sorry

hows the pocket clip retention, I have the chance to trade a 561 for the same socom elite has pictured above, I have 2 concerns though 1 is that I've heard horror stories about microtechs CS and 2 is those screws. On all my knives i take the clip off and bend it a little just to get better retention in the pocket but i see that microtech has it's on style screws and you can't adjust the friggin thing, so my question is do you think that the pocket clip holds the knife in the pocket well, as in you think any chance your knife may fall out?? I know the knife comes with a sheath but i'm not gonna carry a folder in a sheath sorry

I'd say the pocket retention is on part with my Umnumzaan, which is excellent. It's not too tight, and not too loose either. It also carries very low which helps keep it in your pocket. I'd trade my 0560 for this knife honestly (If I didn't already have one of course). Not saying the 0560 isn't a fantastic knife, but this one is just awesome.

I have tried everything as far as the sticky lock goes. It has improved slightly, but it's still brutal and makes a loud snap when disengaged. Maybe I should word it differently. It's not just sticking, but rather jamming. I am now missing a chunk of skin on my thumb from it being so difficult. I have opened/closed it at least 1k times I am guessing and it is just the same as it was, maybe a hair improved. Graphite, sharpie, oil, thorough cleaings with soap and compressed air, nothing has improved or even made a difference. The pivot though has become as smooth as any knife I have ever used. It's just buttery smooth, a good bit smoother than my ZT 0561 or any Spydie or Benchmade.

I am in the middle of moving between states so sending it in will need to be moved back a few weeks. I'll post results when I get a chance.

I have tried everything as far as the sticky lock goes. It has improved slightly, but it's still brutal and makes a loud snap when disengaged. Maybe I should word it differently. It's not just sticking, but rather jamming. I am now missing a chunk of skin on my thumb from it being so difficult. I have opened/closed it at least 1k times I am guessing and it is just the same as it was, maybe a hair improved. Graphite, sharpie, oil, thorough cleaings with soap and compressed air, nothing has improved or even made a difference. The pivot though has become as smooth as any knife I have ever used. It's just buttery smooth, a good bit smoother than my ZT 0561 or any Spydie or Benchmade.

I am in the middle of moving between states so sending it in will need to be moved back a few weeks. I'll post results when I get a chance.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. The pivot on mine is also now smooth as glass. I did put a tiny bit of CLP on the lock bar detent so it'd slide over the blade easier. Now that it has worn a smooth path on the blades finish, it's so smooth.

How is blade retention on these new Socom Elites?
I have one with the 20CV blade and the blade nearly deploys just when I turn it upside down, there is probably a retention of 1 on a scale of 0-10 (10 being so much retention you can not open the blade at all)

I'd say the retention on mine is about perfect. It could have a little more detent to make the blade rocket open when you overcome it, but all it takes is a little more thumb speed to make it shoot out and lock up solid. I don't think I'd change the detent at all on this one.

They are great knives. I may get another some day soon. One of the few I regret trading off.

Back