Midwesterner heading to Edisto Beach, SC - Suggestions?

Taking the family to Edisto Beach at the end of June and am hoping to get some inshore fishing under our belts. Guessing Redfish, Spotted Trout, and Flounder will be our primary target. We will be bringing a couple of sea kayaks and a canoe to poke around the channels and rivers and will be doing most of our fishing from those. Also hoping to spend some time surf fishing off the beach.

What rigs, baits, hooks, weights, etc. do I need to bring with? I've fished NC and FL beaches and know that buying gear from the local shops can be pricey so I'll save some cash by getting the basics online. I'll definitely hit the local shops for suggestions as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? Ideas? Warnings?

Buy before you hit the island, check with locals closer to the time of your visit. The creeks will be a little warm by the end of June, try the South and North Edisto rivers. Live shrimp for Reds. Flounder are not a primary catch in the area but mud minnows work pretty well. Trout and Reds like the white shell banks close to the main water.

Are they redfish or puppy drum in SC? I've never fished Edisto Beach but when I'm fishing for trout, flounder, and or puppy drum in NC my go to bait is a red jig head with a Gulp Swimming Mullet. My favorite color Gulps are white, chartreuse, and banana prawn. Hope you have a great trip.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Going to be a great trip regardless, but if I can get my kids on some fish, it will be even better.

If you search online for pier and surf there is a forum similar to this where guys share information. There is a SC section where you might get advice.

Back