Mike Obenauf #5 and #7

shootist16

knife law moderator
First of all let me thank Michael Aos for bringing Mike's knives to my attention. I also want to thank Don Eargle aka stab1 for getting these knives into my grubby little hands.

I really like the looks of Mikes model 1. I couldn't decide which size to get so........I got both :D

Mine are the second and fourth ones down in the pic.

The second one down is serial number 5, Large model 1. Blade is approx. 4 inches, OAL is 9 inches, Scales are green/black G-10. Blade is D2 hand satin finished, bolsters are ceramic bead blasted. Last one is serial number 7, Small model 1, Blade is approx. 3.25 inches, OAL is 7.5 inches. Scales are glue/black G-10, Blade steel is D2 hand satin finished with ceramic bead blast bolsters. Kit told me the blades should be rockwell 60.

Upon getting the knives several features immediately stood out:

The handles are comfortable
The handles have a built in guard
There is the maximum amount of blade, length and width. I dont think any more blade could be packed into those handles.

As an avid knifeknut and knife user I can tell that this is a well thought out design. I like the design of the model 1 a great deal. The design should excel at a multitude of tasks. It is also very well executed.

For the record I still dont know which I like "better". I suppose the small one would make for a better EDC, although the large carries comfortably. I large one feels like it could tackle any chore. Both of these knives inspire confidence. I would feel well equipped with either.

Mike hasn't been making knives all that long. It is readily apparent that he has more than his fair share of raw talent. Having a great teacher doesn't hurt either. Mike's work will only improve with time. And I plan on having many more of his knives in my collection and EDC rotation. I am looking forward to seeing what other designs Mike comes up with because his model 1 is a winner.

attachment.php

Looks like you have a really nice pair there Dennis.How was the lockup and action?

Very smooth and lockup is great. Reminds me a lot of Kit Carsons work. Here is a review by Dexter Ewing of another Obenauf folder.

I bought serial number 3 (looks similar to #4 in the pics).

Great handle design, very comfortable, very nice looking, potentially awsome knife.

Some minor complaints:

1. I can't sharpen the damned thing! I've used my Sharpmaker to much success on ATS-34, 154CM, assorted AUS-8A, 440C, etc. No problems, not stress. I feel like I've made zero progress on this damned D2. On the plus side, I assume once I get it sharp it will hold an edge.

2. It's tip-down instead of my preferred tip-up, but I can get over that.

3. The clip is a PIA to attach (too tight), but it sure won't let go accidentally. Looks identical to a small model 4, for what that's worth.

4. I personally don't like dual thumb studs. In fact this knife pushed me over the edge (Sebenza had me on the edge) to a Tom Mayo with Spyderco-style opening hole

5. My knife makes a horrible sound when the blade comes in contact with the filemarks on the liner lock. I've tried White Lightning and Tuff-Glide to no avail. It works fine, but sounds terrible.

Mike

Dennis - thanks for the review. Your thoughts pretty much parallel mine about the large folder.

large one feels like it could tackle any chore. Both of these knives inspire confidence. I would feel well equipped with either.

Definitely. I get the same feeling when I'm holding my Carson M4 too. Mike has definitely duplicated the Carson feel in his work.

Glad you like the knives. I feel that the Obenauf is my best buy of this year. Easily it's a $400 or $425 folder, only bought for $350 and has all those features and that legendary feel ;)

Mike Aos,
Thanks for a truthful, honest report! It takes guts to give an HONEST report instead of just basking in the glow of a new $350.00 plus purchase. I read so many reviews that just rave about a certain knife and then get private e-mails about their flaws. Seems we don't want to "offend" the makers or they won't be so quick to get us in line for their next "flavor of the month".

I'm not saying that we shouldn't rave when raving's due but I do notice that sometimes we DON'T take certain makers to task especially if they're popular on the forums. I've been guilty of it myself. I'm sure we've all read fellow forumite's bashing production companies for the SMALLEST imperfection. WHY NOT list flaws in a maker's knife if they are there? Of course I know that there are those that just like to complain no matter what.

These new Obenauf's look fantastic! How could they NOT with Kit as Mike's mentor? I'm sure Mike would correct your knife to your liking though. A good maker will want to know if his product is not satisfactory.

I applaud you for calling a spade a spade, IF that's REALLY the way it is. I don't want us to turn into a bunch of "I never saw a knife I didn't like" robots like so many of the knife rags are.

Dexter and Dennis,

Based on what I have seen and heard of Mike's work it is probably a good thing you two got yours early.

:D

Great looking knives. Does anyone have any info on the two other knives in the photo, the 1st and 3rd ones? I am partial to smaller folders and those two look just as detailed and upscale as the two you purchased Dennis.

Your right, even from the looks of them the handle shape looks like it would feel great in the hand.

Thanks...JT

JT,

Here are the specs on the first and third knives.

First: model #6, Large, Blade is 3 7/8 inches, OAL is 9 inches, scales are green/black canvas micarta, steel is D2.

Third: model #8, Small, Blade is 3.25 inches, OAL is 7.5 inches, scales are green/black G-10, steel is D2

Both however, are already sold.:(

Originally posted by Gene
Mike Aos,
Thanks for a truthful, honest report!

I didn't mean for any of it to sound bad. I don't see the items in my list as bad, just not perfect for me. Someone else would probably love the knife -- actually _I_ love the knife.

I finally couldn't take it any more and added a little silicone grease to liner lock, so it opens / closes nicely now.

My Sebenza, Pinnacle & Camillus EDC all have a little ball-bearing which allows the lock to ride on the blade until it snaps into place. The problem with the Obenauf is that the whole thing is in contact while you're opening / closing the knife. It just scrapes off any tuff-glide / white lighting. The grease will probably wear off quickly as well. It still opens / closes nicely, but you can feel the drag and it sounds terrible.

Mike

Stab1... thanks for the info. Comparing the specs you gave me and the specs on the 2nd and 4th knives in the picture (the ones Dennis bought) they don't sound as small as they look in the picture.

Any ideas on when other versions of these knives will be up for sale?

JT

Mike,
I don't think you saw the word "bad" in either of our posts. I was just pointing out that I appreciate you even BRINGING UP what you perceive as a minor complaint.

I didn't mean my post to sound negative because I really think these Obenauf's are GREAT! I would own one in a heartbeat. Just refreshing to see you air "minor complaints" if there are any and it looks like they ARE very minor.

I think the dragging on your knife might eventually wear in but it might not. I had a Mad Max with the same problem and everyone said it would eventually wear in. After realizing it wouldn't, I sent it back to Darrel and he had to reprofile the mating surfaces and now it's like silk. Good luck!

JT,

If you have an idea of what you want I am sure that Mike can do it for you.

If so send your ideas to Dennis(Shootist16) and I am certain he can hook you up.:)

Mike's current lead time is not bad. Probably 6-8 weeks.

Originally posted by Gene
I had a Mad Max with the same problem and everyone said it would eventually wear in. After realizing it wouldn't, I sent it back to Darrel and he had to reprofile the mating surfaces and now it's like silk. Good luck!

Mike Obenauf contacted me today and offered to take a look at it.

I'll probably take him up on it. It's a lot better since I added that silicone grease (it's what I had handy, from my SCUBA diving bag) but I think it's only a temporary fix.

Mike

Michael -- just to be sure I have this straight. You're saying that your knife is a liner lock or frame lock without a detente ball for the blade to ride when opening and closing?

Are yours this way too, Dennis?

If so, makes me wonder about how smooth the knives can ever get opening and closing. As was said, it probably just rubs off most any lubricant. Also, and maybe more important, it is the detente ball which has the responsiblity of keeping the blade in the handle until at least some force is exerted to open the blade. Given my understanding of the new California law, would make them illegal there. But, more importantly, from a simple safety standpoint, I wouldn't want a knife that couldn't keep the blade in the handle riding in my pocket. Might make it tip down, but no way would I even try tip up.

I like the looks of the Obenauf knives, but no thank you, if they're made without a detente.

Originally posted by Bugs3x
Michael -- just to be sure I have this straight. You're saying that your knife is a liner lock or frame lock without a detente ball for the blade to ride when opening and closing?
I like the looks of the Obenauf knives, but no thank you, if they're made without a detente.

Mike Obenauf sent me a personal e-mail. In it, he guessed the problem with my knife was the detent ball, and offered to fix it for me.

I can't see it, or even where it should be, but I played hell finding the one on my Sebenza as well -- in fact, if I couldn't feel it, I probably wouldn't have spotted it.

So in answer to your question, it is SUPPOSED to have the ball. Either it got smushed or fell out or something -- dunno yet.

Mike

Let me go ahead and catch this one for Mike, as I'm not sure he is completely on line yet.
All the knives I do, and naturally Mike's, have detent balls. Beats me as to what caused it to do what it is doing. Never had one do that. Both Darrel Ralph and I have experienced receiving the 440C hardened balls from a major supplier that were in fact, soft. This might be one that slipped thru, as we have not had any problems with the others.
As Michael said, he and Mike are in contact so I don't expect any problems for Mike to get it like it should be, and figure out what caused it. I'm real curious as to why it is squeaking.

Back