1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Military Clasp Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Aug 2, 2013.

1. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Ha ha
    And Mt Vesuvius is only a small volcano.
    Duncan I know likes his stampings
    And that one is stampier than a Sumo wrestler at a Slade concert.

xbr10dr likes this.
  2. Etchy

Etchy

Sep 6, 2014
  3. Etchy

Etchy

Sep 6, 2014
    Hello all
    I've been back through all the pages but can find no mention of this, so i'll ask it here -
    Do you guys know -
    Of the Belgian ABL type has anyone got one dated post 1952 (as I've never seen any dated after that )?
    Of the British ones which are the most & least common makers based on your observations? For instance I seem to have more SSP's than others, so I think they might be quite a prolific maker.
    Opinions welcomed :)
    Cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  4. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    thanks for the comments guys. Campbellclanman, other than the wandering wavy liners and the dried out and cracked covers, the knife is in ok condition.
    Dan

5. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    Picked this up recently and, unlike the majority of knives of this type, was pleased to find it carried a Case tang stamp. After some rudimentary research I discovered that Case did indeed produce these knives for the Canadian army setting up a factory specifically for the purpose in 1948. I believe the knives produced here carried an 'MS Ltd' tang stamp (short for Machine Stamping Ltd) and not the Case name itself. I wondered if the fact that this knife does carry the Case name makes it an earlier, perhaps WW2, example? It is a large, utilitarian knife with what appears to be a small arrow within a circle stamped on the aluminium handle just below the opened punch blade (pictured). Either way it's an interesting old knife with a lot of history and I'm very pleased to have it. Any additional info would be much appreciated. :):thumbsup:
    [​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

- Mark

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Fodderwing and afishhunter like this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice find Mark, I have seen these with both the Case and M.S. Ltd markings. The 'C' mark is the Canadian military acceptance mark, like the British 'Crow's Foot or 'Broad Arrow' :thumbsup:

Here's one Charlie @waynorth gifted me a few months back :)

Case WW1 Clasp Knife 1-1.JPG

Case WW1 Clasp Knife 1-2.JPG

Case WW1 Clasp Knife 1-3.JPG

7. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    Yeah they're an interesting version of the pattern. It's nice to finally have something in the collection with a marlin spike. Cheers Jack.

8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Some good history there my friend :) :thumbsup:

Blake the Blade likes this.
  9. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Ok, British knife experts, I picked up a 1945 dated three piece British Army clasp knife. Needham, Hill Street, Sheffield. Cursory research makes me think Needham made a knife almost identical to the two piece Army knife. It had two cutting blades vice a cutting blade and can opener. Believe it was a NAAFI item vs official issue. This brought a few questions to mind:

1. Are these two cutting blade knives legit?
    2. Were they indeed private purchase from PX/NAAFI or private purchase everywhere cutlery was sold or were they official issue?
    3. How common/easily found are they? And if fairly common, what online search terms should I use?

I'm quite impressed by these old clasp knives and am thrilled to own the two I have.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Interesting post, can we see a pic, might make things a lot clearer? I made a post about Needham, Hill Street a couple of weeks back, detailing the history of the firm. The standard knife is a 3-piece, with Sheepsfoot blade, can-opener (and bottle-opener by this date), and a marlin spike, plus a screwdriver web-extension.

The NAAFI knives were were sold only in NAAFI stores, there are several patterns, they were private purchase. However, there was also at least one overseas contract of this pattern, to Sudan. The NAAFI knives are far less common than the issue patterns, which were produced in vast numbers. This may be of interest :thumbsup:

NAAFI knives 2.png

NAAFI knives.png

Here's another variant by Herbert Robinson :thumbsup:

HRobinson Sheepsfoot 2-1.JPG

Attached Files:

11. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks! The 33X is it. I've seen pics (maybe they were yours). I keep an eye out.

Jack Black likes this.
  12. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    Really pleased to have picked up a good, period example of this pattern. Apart from a relatively small amount of wear to the main blade, the knife is in very good shape with good, useable pull, sensible snap and no play to the blade or spike. Despite having been produced at the beginning of the war it has no military stamps. It bears the date of 1940, the cypher of King George the Fifth and the makers stamp of Joseph Rogers and Sons, Sheffield. A fine and historically interesting knife for the measly sum of £12.00 from a second hand tool dealer. :):thumbsup:
    [​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr[​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr[​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr[​IMG]Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

- Mark

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice find Mark, and at a decent price :thumbsup:

I wish I still had the one my granddad gave me :( :thumbsup:

Blake the Blade likes this.
  14. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice Burma Knives Sam :thumbsup:

16. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Fodderwing, JohnDF and afishhunter like this.
  17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Fodderwing likes this.
  18. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    At the start of this year I didn't have a single genuine example of this type of knife. Since then I've came across five. The two big ones I've already mentioned above. The more modern designed one is by Warriss of Sheffield and is dated 1953, and the two older ones are stamped 1941. The one with the marlin spike is marked Wade and Butcher, Sheffield, and the other has no manufacturers mark. All have the military arrow alongside the date.

Next on the list are some WW1 examples.

[​IMG]20181204_123647 by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Fodderwing, redcanoe and afishhunter like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Excellent finds :thumbsup: The Warriss is a Burma Knife designed for use in the Far East, where a stainless knife had advantages. Here's one from 1945 by Ibberson :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

20. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015