Military Man Recruit

All this raving about the Military has me wanting one real bad. My biggest hesitation is the size. Unfortunatly I don't know of any knife stores that carry it. There is a store that carries the Police and Endura. How does the size compare? Do you find it difficult to carry? How does the knife compare to an Endura in general? Hope you guys can help me out.
Thanks

Dino,
I have also been looking at the Military for some time. I already own an Endura (among others) for over 8 years, so I can give you a comparison based on this experience.

The Military is quite a bit larger than the Endura (as can be seen on Spyderco's Website www.spyderco.com under the product catalog). It is however, surprisingly light for such a big folder. The handle fits the hand perfectly, and is VERY nicely textured for a secure grip. Special consideration has been given to the sturdiness of the grip, with the addition of a finger-grip (top and bottom) in the area between the blade and the handle (forgive the clumsy wording. English is not my first language - luckily technical excellence speaks for itself!!) Of course, nothing needs to be said about the 440 Stainless being used for the blade (see the review elsewhere on BladeForums...)

I can keep on raving here, but the final proof of the pudding, is in the eating. So go and find a store that carries the Military and try it for yourself! After all, if you buy it, YOU are the guy who's stuck with it! ( ;-} I see another Military Man in the making...)

Sharp edges,
Heyns van der Merwe
South Africa
heynsv@liw.denel.co.za

Prigger - black clips (& screws) are being made as we speak. Probably be able to get a black one from Danelle in a month.

Jackyl - sorry 'bout that.

We have a design for a shorter Military (not much smaller in the "cockpit area", just shorter at both ends). May consider one in the future once we sort out our "Too many SKU's" problem. I'd like to wait for the Rolling lock.
sal

Well, you got another one. Had my serrated Military for about 2 weeks...and it's great. What can I say about this knife that hasn't already been said? It's my 1st Spyderco...but won't be my last!!

Add one more to the list. I purchased a 440V serrated model about two weeks ago. I owned one of the early models and wasn't too pleased with the excessive liner play and handle flex. This new one is solid as a rock! If anyone is hesitant about the Military because of reports of handle flex, don't worry. I can tell you that it is as solid as an Emerson Commander, with a better lock-up. Sal, I hope you patented the pivot pin. Great idea! Forget the rolling lock, the Military is perfect in its current incarnation. Bravo!

Later,
Chris

BTW, a word of advice for those who own a Military and work in an office environment. If you want to scare the crap out of the CEO, leave your Military open on your desk when he/she walks by to see how you're doing. Mine just came by and left as soon as he saw the knife. I forgot that I had it on my desk
wink.gif
I wish I had a camera on me so that I could post the look on his face! BTW, I may be out of a job soon.

Later,
Chris

Thanx Sal on the info 'bout the clips.
PR

------------------
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

Military "Military" fans unite!!!

Finally handled the Military today. WOW! If this comes out in the future with a rolling lock. I'm joining.

sing

Got my 2nd Milt today a ser version to
pair up with the plain I already have.....
Great Knife might be best Spydie ever.....
I carry Ser in belt plain in pocket......
Thanks again Sal keep up good work........

I just received my "draft notice" to the Military from Col. Turber -- I won a Military during the recent draw!

Don't worry, folks, I won't dodge this draft
wink.gif

Thanks again, Gen. Glesser and Col. Danelle!

Sal -- IIRC, when the Military was announced in the mid-90s, one article mentioned that a proto had tritium insert in the back spacer to help locate the knife in the dark. Is this true? If so, why was it not featured in the regular line?

Titan - you have a good memory. the prototype did have a tritium insert in the back spacer. Unfortunately legal hassles with import and additional governmental costs for the tritium eliminated it's addition to the model.
sal

If this thing comes out with the rolling lock, I can already see that I'm going to have to sell something.

O_D

Sal -- good memory? But of course! I think I have read every article there is on the Military!
smile.gif

Is there even the remotest possibility of me getting an RL Military as my raffle prize? I wouldn't mind if it takes months to wait
wink.gif

Rolling Lock Military? Good excuse to get another. Have plain and serrated - both awesome knives for any use.
Mike

Spark - Titan's request is OK with me if it's OK with you? Do you have the pieces or do we? Don't know who is shipping those.
sal

Sal -- YOU ARE DA MAN! Thank you, again!
Spark -- I hope its OK with you...
smile.gif

Sign me up for 3 sets of black clips and screws. All right!!

------------------
*Norse Knife Nut*

"Military" Fans Unite!!

"The only limitation is lack of imagination."

Sal,

I just spoke with Danelle(Is she due for a raise yet)
wink.gif
and she suggested I remind you that the 1 month deadline is coming up. What's the word on the clips and while were at, any price ideas yet?
Looking forward to going totally covert with the Military.
Thanks and keep up the great work.

------------------
*Norse Knife Nut*

"Military" Fans Unite!!

"The only limitation is lack of imagination."

Back