1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Military or Wegner??

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Chiro75, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Chiro75

Chiro75

Feb 4, 1999
    I am interested in getting a folder for lighter outdoorsy type chores. I have a myriad of heavy fixed blades, but I am looking for that "do-everything" folder. I have a couple Spydercos already, but they don't seem to fit the bill: Calypso (blade is way too thin), Endura (good candidate, but not a huge fan of the Zytel handle), Jot Sing Khalsa (awesome knife, but not for this). Anyway, I was looking into the Wegner, Wegner Jr. and Military. I really like the Wegner stuff, but how thin is the edge? I want something balanced right between sharp and stout. Both the military and the wegner have huge followings, so I guess the ideal responses to this post will be from folks who own and have used both. Thanks in advance!

------------------
    My Knife & Sheath Pages:
    http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/frames.html
    Palmer College of Chiropractic
    Sheath Makers Referral Directory
    [email protected]
    Madpoet (Mel Sorg, Jr.) Tribute page:
    http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/madpoet/main.html

2. shootist16

shootist16 knife law moderator Moderator

Dec 25, 1998
    I have two Militarys and two Wegners (both models in plain and serrated). I have used both. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I favor the Wegner. It is the most comfortable production knife I have used. The spine is thicker than the militarys. The blade is definately stouter, but just as sharp. This knife really begs to be used. I am not exaggerating when I say it feels like an extension of your hand. It is ravor sharp (have you ever seen a Spyderco that wasn't?). For a general purpose, outdoors type knife the Wegner cant be beat. Let me tell you, this is one tough folder. I believe someone said that Lynn Thompson, of Cold Steel, was impressed by both the design and the lock strength of the Wegner. That says alot to me. Have you ever heard Lynn say anything good about any other brand?

------------------
    Dennis Bible

[This message has been edited by shootist16 (edited 04-11-2000).]

3. Rugger

Rugger

Jan 27, 1999
    I'm a Serious Fan of the Wegner- although I must admit I don't know much about the Military...

------------------
    Runs With Scissors
    AKTI# A000107

4. Brian_Turner

Brian_Turner

May 13, 1999
    Hey Chiro -

Picked up a Mil at Badger, and between then and now, it hasn't ousted the Wegner at the top of my list.

Much more comfortable, and better blade/handle ratio.

------------------
    AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

5. pse-link

pse-link

Mar 5, 2000
    Wegner is the only way to go. Excellant blade thickness and edge retention. Have skinned several large wild boar without having to touch up the edge, there isn't much that this folder couldn't do in the field. Never leave home without it. And with a little practice, you can really make a fast presentation if required. Smooth. [​IMG]

6. CUTIGER 3

CUTIGER 3

Mar 31, 1999
    I remember asking the same question [​IMG]. You will end up getting both so, I suggest getting the full size Wegner (plain edge) first, for using outdoors and then the Military (plain edge). The small Wegner looks to be outstanding also.

7. Clay Kesting

Clay Kesting

Oct 10, 1998
    Guess I'll be the dissenting voice here. I have both (plain edge) and prefer the Military. I like the blade's flat grind and that large hole makes it the easiest knife I have to open, even wearing gloves. Also the combination of the choil and large handle allow for more hand position options, i.e. it's not as easy to "choke up" on the Wegner. Although I appreciate the heft of the Wegner, the Military's light weight makes it much more comfortable to carry despite it's size. I carried mine IWB to work today and forgot it was there. Besides I don't feel comfortable carrying a tip-up linerlock IWB no matter how good the ball bearing detent is. As always YMMV [​IMG].

------------------
    Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

8. lshay

lshay

Feb 22, 2000
    I would have to vote for the Wegner also. I prefer the appearance of the Military and think it probably has a better edge. But the Wegner has the wonderfully thick blade and I don't know if it's the stainless liners or what but the sound and feel of the lock up feels like the bolt closing on a pre'64 Model 70. I open and close mine just for that sound. SWEET!

9. highrent1

highrent1

Jan 6, 1999
    Chiro,
    I would have to say the Wegner, plain or serrated is the best of the bunch.

------------------
    Bill
    Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

10. Aries59

Aries59

Jan 8, 2000
    I have both, and for everyday carry I would go with the Military.

11. Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

Aug 2, 1999
    I have both a Wegner plain edge and a serrated Military. I find the Military ends up in my pocket more often. The Military seems to have a better lock up and is lighter.

12. Heyns van der Merwe

Heyns van der Merwe

Mar 3, 1999
    Skip the formalities: get both!! You wll end up buying both anyways. Just look at the replies - it will tell you that you CAN'T go wrong with any one of these.

I prefer the fully serrated Military (CPM440V) myself, although I own both the serrated and plain versions of both models (and even the Wegner Jnr.). I suppose it depends heavily on your application. You'll just have to figure it out for yourself!! [​IMG]

13. cut finger

cut finger

Sep 20, 1999
    If you want a skinning knife, get the Wegner.
    It was designed for that and would be far better than the Military. The Military is more of a folding Bowie utlity/fighter. It would make a better filet or cooking knife than the Wegner. Both would be strong for general utility.

14. chaz

chaz

May 18, 1999
    Military,just one great all around knife for almost ANY situation !!!!!!

------------------
    chaz

15. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    I have the Military, and I can attest that it is a great knife. It's the reason I began buying Spydercos.

I've ordered the Wegner Jr. since it was discontinued. I thought I read somewhere in the Forum Archives that it might be coming out in an exclusive run of VG-10. Anyone know if this is correct? The VG-10 in my Calypso is really nice stuff. Sure wouldn't mind a Wegner Jr. in this steel.

I don't have the full size Wegner, though I really like the looks of it. Will its steel remain ATS-34?

------------------
    Guyon
    AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
    -William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited 04-13-2000).]