Military v SERE, I'm Perplexed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad234

BANNED
Ummmmm... this got posted in the wrong forum, could a nice moderator type move it to the general discussion forum please....

First let me say that, like many of you, I am deeply saddened by James' passing. He will live on in our thoughts and in our hearts. His love of knives and humankind spread to others through his words. I hope that we can carry on his tradition.

I have been using the Al Mar SERE 2000 and the Spyderco Military in side by side tests.
Most of the posts here indicated that the SERE was equal to or better than the Military.
I have carried a Military on a daily basis for a few months, when several respected authorities indicated that the Al Mar was a better knife I couldn't wait to get my hands on one.
First Impressions: The overall build quailities, fit and finish were excellent. The knife came super vorpal sharp, perhaps the sharpest out of the box I've seen (sharper than even the Moran or Calypso.) The action was smooth as silk and locked up as tight as a vault. The only faults were that the milling may be too precise, the thumb studs and liner lock were quite sharp.
On to the cutting:
Both knives have a spine approx 1/8" thick.
The Military uses a full flat grind, the SERE a hollow grind. Using two very sophisticated devices (my peepers and my fingermeters) I determined that the Military's blade thickens in a far more linear fashion. The Military blade also has more belly. The secondary edge bevels were identical. Based on those factors I would tend to predict that the Military, displaying better edge geometery would tend to out perform the SERE.
My experience coincides with my prediction. I am not a scientist and my views are 100% subjective.
Except in very shallow cuts the Military outcut the SERE in food prep and utilty chores.
In shallow cuts (usually cardboard) the vorpal SERE outperformed the Military. The Military was shaving sharp, the SERE was sharper.
The Military is thinner and lighter, opens faster and has a tip down carry.
The SERE feels stronger (like a little tank) is heavier, and carries deeper in the pocket. When using inertia opening techniques it opens very fast, I don't tend to open my knives in that manner as I feel it causes accelerated wear. Using the thumbstud it is not as fast as the Military (in my hands) but still fast enough for any "social occassion."
Both are excellent knives that I would not hesitate to recomend. I think I'll continue to use the Military for daily carry and use the SERE in the woods.... or maybe the other way around..... oh heck I'll just carry both
smile.gif

Take care and be safe,
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail." Chad (1992)
"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword. He who dies by the sword did not train hard enough" -Chad (1999)
chad234@email.com

[This message has been edited by chad234 (edited 09-16-2000).]

Nice review Chad. I have both and agree with you. Isn't it nice to be able to use them both?

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Chad,
you have hit my current dilemma on the head. I'm trying to decide between these two (I know, get both.) Pros I see for the Military- CPM 440V, Hole vs stud, tip-down, screwed-together construction. For the S2K- VG 10 (great on my Mouse), size (Military's kinda big.) The weight is a double-edged sword (pun intended) The Military's lighter weight makes for easier carry. The S2K heft gives the impression of "quality." The same way some guys prefer a Smith over a Glock because it's heavier (even though IMHO Glock does the job better.) Is it the same for the Military? Sal Glesser explains it with a race car analogy. Spyderco uses technology e.g.-nested liners to save weight and increase strength rather than make a knife unnecessarily heavy. Anything you add to your review I'll be interested to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back