Military with Carbon Fiber Handles?

Welcome Sal!

I am glad to see that you have your own Spyderco forum. I would like to tell everyone that Spyderco's customer service is second to none! A few months back I had a cosmetic problem with a few Wegners and the issue was immediately resolved and they shipped my knives to me via UPS 2 day delivery at their expense. I currently own over 42 Spyderco knives that I have acquired over the years and they have all performed exceptionally well.

I was recently told by a dealer that there was a Spyderco Military with Carbon Fiber handles lurking around somewhere and I would very much like to add one to my collection. Was it a limited production or special order item? When will they be availble again?

I look forward to your reply.

[This message has been edited by Venire (edited 16 January 1999).]

Venire - Thank you. We made a few prototypes for last year's SHOT show. Nothing in prodution yet. I was holding out to make them with David Boye's dendritic cobalt blades and titan liners. We have some of the dendritic blades, haven't set a firm schedule. "So many possible models, so little time, so little tooling money, what to do?
sal

Wow Sal! A military with Boye denedritic cobalt blade carbon fiber handles and a Ti liner? I think I died and went to heaven. I have got to have one of those! =) I am glad to see that Spyderco has it's own forum now. Thank you for your involvment with the forum's here Sal. I have enjoyed reading the Spyderco related Q and A's.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Is it at all possible to purchase a Prototype Carbon Fiber Military
smile.gif
? Are Spyderco Prototypes ever offered for sale to the public?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Venire (edited 16 January 1999).]

Flat ground, David Boye's dendritic cobalt blades, titan liners, and carbonfiber.
This is to much to resist.

I have read in the Blade that David Boye's dendritic cobalt is good stuff, but I don't know exacly what it is and what makes it so good. Could somebody please explain. I do know that the use cobalt in Japenese kitchen knives, but that is all I know about it.

Jan Dirk

[This message has been edited by J D Wijbenga (edited 17 January 1999).]

Yes, this is a VERY good idea, the Boye dendritic steel is very nice, I haven't tried the cobalt dendritic yet, but it has great possibilities. A Military with that steel would be a great boat knife (at least !) When I imagine my Boye folder all grown up into a Military, the possibilties are intriguing.
As, Mike says, DO IT, DO IT RIGHT, DO IT RIGHT NOW !
smile.gif

Save one for me because this is one of the best folder ideas I've seen in a while.

Sincerely,
Adam

Venire - Occassionally prototypes are offerred but are usually grabbed up by crew. sorry.

Brian - We'll certainly extend our best effort to do and do it right. However it would be unfair to do it too quickly and not do it right. (Small company moving as fast as we can). We can keep "mum" until shipping time (which decreases the waiting time on the ELU side) or we can share plans and indulge in your patience and understanding. The "not for everyone" models that the aficionados enjoy, must still yield to the Endura, Delica, Rescue, etc. items that serve the greater number of ELU (and make it possible for us to "play" with exotica).

Jan - Cobalt is a non-ferrous metal that has excellent edge retention qualities and zero corrosion (no iron). Current makers grind blades of cobalt using "Stellite 6K" (an excellent, but very expensive cobalt based alloy made in Canada). David Boye is casting a similar cobalt based alloy. Theory is that the casting process increases strength, reduces internal stresses and provides better edge retention with the addition of dentritic carbides that act as crystals with sharp cutting edges.
sal

David Boyes Cobalt Dendritic steel is supposed to be really good, Kim Breed did that review of the Cobalt alloy and found it cut better than the dendritic steel of Boye's.

Sal, keep on telling us in advance, the anticipation makes the prize sweeter, you guys have so many models it is hard to think of you as small.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder, Shabaria and JD Smith; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Marion - Just a little mouse with a big megapone. Actually, we have a very good marketing dept that makes us look bigger. The many models are difficult to do and are inconvenient for Sales, marketing, tooling budget and inventory...but they are fun.
sal

Sal,

But you have a mandate from the people and that is what counts.

Every time I show someone how that funny hole in my blades work, you should see there eyes light up, everytime I make a friend I end up selling them one of my knives, usually a spyderco.

And that is the way it should be, thumb studs for some, disks for others, but holes for me, unless of couse it has a cool locking mechanism, or a strange blade or, you get the point...

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder, Shabaria and JD Smith, heck if it si from Spyderco I'm anxious; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Sal how about putting together a list of guys who wants a dentritic cobalt Military (with the secure-lock button)to see if the demand is not great enough to advance the schedule for manufacturing the knife.

Methinks I want one! Why I *need* such a high-performance knife, when anything I need to cut will yield to an Endura is another question. Some folks write with Mont Blanc fountain pens too.

I wonder if pen enthusiasts have forums like this.
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Deon - accelerating one model of necessity moves another back.

James - ...and some people have more than one pair of shoes...how many pair of shoes can you wear?

I guess you could deny yourself all of your life, save every penny you earn, leave it to your kids when you pass on and what will they do? They'll buy a dendritic cobalt Military of course!
sal

Not a push, just a request. Keep me in mind as well when this new design comes out. I never thought it was possible to improve on perfection, but if you do I want one too.
Long live the "Military"

------------------
Norwegian Misfit

"When strong, appear weak"

Back