Milsurp rifles

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Any of you guys big on Milsurp rifles? Im looking for something for the occasional range session and would like something that is pretty accurate. Ive shot a Swiss K31 and was thinking that was the route I would go but wanted to get some suggestions. I prefer a bolt action but am not set on that. I want to spend around 300.00.

I just read an interesting article in Guns Digest 2011 where the author tested alot of ww2 milsurp. He was shooting out to 880 yards. The swiss came in close to the top! Lower recoil and straight pull bolt made for fast shooting. I have a yugo short action mauser 48 in 8x57that needs a new stock. My grandfather mistakenly put it in a long action 98 mauser stock. might post a WIP thread on it when I do....

I have a Mosin Nagant M44 that I like quite a bit. It's not the most accurate rifle in the world but the price was right. $69 out the door. Ammo is very inexpensive as well.

Chris,

I have 4 K31 Swiss rifes and they are arguably some of the most accurate bolt actions ever created and built just like a swiss watch. The barrels on the K31s are from SIG and Hammerli. Shoot me an email or PM if you have any questions on them.

I haven't bought any, but will be really interested to see where this thread goes. I've been thinking about getting a mosin for a while to plink with at the range. I usually take a 22 and a few handguns along with whatever rifle/rifles that I'm going to be shooting, but another rifle would be fun. I could use the practice with open sights too.

I have a Mosin Nagant M44 that I like quite a bit. It's not the most accurate rifle in the world but the price was right. $69 out the door. Ammo is very inexpensive as well.

A buddy just got one of these and is in process of stripping it down and refinishing. I might pick one up just for a fun project.

Well i Inherited my grandpa's M1 Garand that he won in a shooting contest after he got out of the military. now thats not $300 bucks..... but it sure is fun to take to the range and see everyones faces!

Ok, re-read the article yesterday. The author ranked the swedeish 96 mauser, the swiss K31 and the Springfield 03 as the top mil surp rifles. If that helps. Also think about condition. One of the swedes he used was a reconditioned match rifle that shot 3/4 MOA all the way out to 880 yds.

He used alot of different ammo for the Nagant but it was very inaccurate.

The brit enfield was so bad he called it 'crazy Albert'. After much work and ammo adjustment, he was able to get decent accuracy.

Thanks Mark! I would love to read that article, it might be online somewhere. I have a lead on a K31 from a fellow forum member and there is a Sporterized 1903 in great shape locally with a date of 3/1920. Im not sure about prices for the 1903 but he is asking 400.00

Last edited:
I don't know current values as I loaded up on WW I and WWII military bolt actions about ten years ago when they were plentiful and cheap. Here are some brief observations: Enfield's don't cost a lot are are rugged but are inherently inaccurate due to the two piece stock. I've even got the equivalent of a national match version and it only shoots OK. Nagants are dirt cheap but I have yet to see one with anything approaching a good bore. They might be capable of fine accuracy but I don't think you will be able to find one that hasn't been shot out. 1903 and 03A3 Springfields are great rifles but I suspect pricey now. P-14 and P-17 Enfields are less expensive and great rifles but hard too find with good bores. A Mauser, be it German Swedish, Yugo etc is probably your best bet as they are prolific (with good reason) and you can likely find one in good condition for a fair price. Just be careful of the caliber as some are "odd ball" and finding ammo might be hard.

Best inexpensive surplus rifle is still an SKS though. Accuracy sucks but won't cost much, ammo is cheap, and just plain fun to shoot.

I would ask if you plan to shoot surplus ammo or current commercial ammo, if commercial go for something a little nicer. Mauser's either a Yugo M24/47 or M48 can be found in the 200-300 range and can be plenty accurate and often found great to "un-issued" condition. 8mm surplus ammo is a problem of late for them though as the good yugo 70s dated ammo is hard to find and the 50s dated ammo comes with horror stories, all though many seem to shoot it without any problem. I would assume the 70s dated stuff will return with patience and time. Having said that I have shot a variety of 8mm ammo out of a variety of mausers with minimal problems. Mosin's can also be great shooters, often found are the cheap russian m44 or 91/30s but if you find yourself a Finnish mosin they are a more than accurate and quite nice rifles... mossins do kick a little more though nothing that can't be handled...

Small collection of mausers and / or 8mm chambered rifles
DSCF0625.jpg

The K-31 Swiss rifle is an excellent rifle for your price range. Ammo is not as cheap as a 7.62x54R however the 7.5 Swiss ammo is of much better quality. I don't know how often you plan on shooting or what you plan on using the rifle for but the K-31 is excellent in my book. Another you might consider looking at is an Enfield in 303. I have a cousin who collects WW1-WW2 era military rifles and I have shot several of his when we go to the range. The K-31 and Enfield are two of the most accurate I have shot personally.

I've been shooting Swedish 6.5x55 for 25 years. That's long enough back to remember when there was no commercial ammo except Norma, and that's darn expensive. I have yet to get one of the rifles that wouldn't shoot under MOA. We've taken deer, antelope, bear, pigs, coyote, and a few other critters using the surplus guns. It's cheaper and easier to buy factory than the Swiss, easier to reload, and kicks less. Loads everything rom 85gr to 160 gr. Back in the late 80's ou could get 4 for $100 delivered and get change back. Not so much now days.

The Swede still holds records for long range accuracy (that's over 100 years of folks trying to beat it.)

I've been shooting Swedish 6.5x55 for 25 years. That's long enough back to remember when there was no commercial ammo except Norma, and that's darn expensive. I have yet to get one of the rifles that wouldn't shoot under MOA. We've taken deer, antelope, bear, pigs, coyote, and a few other critters using the surplus guns. It's cheaper and easier to buy factory than the Swiss, easier to reload, and kicks less. Loads everything rom 85gr to 160 gr. Back in the late 80's ou could get 4 for $100 delivered and get change back. Not so much now days.

The Swede still holds records for long range accuracy (that's over 100 years of folks trying to beat it.)

Dang. I need one. :)

The Swede still holds records for long range accuracy (that's over 100 years of folks trying to beat it.)[/QUOTE

+1 on the swedes -- wish I had been able to find them in the late 80's. when I found mine in the mid-90's, they were running around $125 each and even surplus ammo was expensive and the last I saw they were selling in the $400-600 range. Incredibly smooth action and a tack driver though.

$400 for a sporterized 03 sounds high to me.
P17 Enfields (30-06) are going for $500-600 around here currently
P14's are a chunk cheaper because they're chambered in .303
You can still find some of the Polish M44 nagants with clean barrels -- awesome deer gun.
K-31 is a good shooter, but ammo is pricey & hard to find.

Back