Mini Bugout

Has anyone tried to Rit Dye the orange scales to anything else? I prefer the sating blade, but not as interested in the orange.

Orange rit dyed to black very nicely. I swapped out the studs with a spare standard bugout. Now I have the mini I want. I'm hoping my son likes the orange on the standard so I can trade for his. I'm just not an orange fan.444.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited:
Orange rit dyed to black very nicely. I swapped out the studs with a spare standard bugout. Now I have the mini I want. I'm hoping my son likes the orange on the standard so I can trade for his. I'm just not an orange fan.View attachment 1340213

View attachment 1340219
Nice comparison picture. I love my Bugout, which is why I've been tempted to but a mini, but to be honest the size difference doesn't seem to warrant a new purchase. It seems like a very slight change.

Nice comparison picture. I love my Bugout, which is why I've been tempted to but a mini, but to be honest the size difference doesn't seem to warrant a new purchase. It seems like a very slight change.
I agree. The mini is nice but I prefer the standard. The CF elite version is my go to although I’m not a fan of black blades. Some day I’ll swap the blades to a satin but the action on the elite came dialed in perfectly out of the box and I don’t want to mess with it.

Picked up a Mini Bugout recently and I must say I'm pretty impressed. First Benchmade, for me, that came out of the box with smooth action, no play, and very nearly perfectly centered blade. I had a regular Bugout before, and found the balance favoring the blade more, so I got a brass backspacer with the Mini along with some G10 scales. I wasn't able to put on the scales yet because the stock screws are too short (FYI: if Flytanium scales, get screws also), so while I wait for screws I've been using the grivory scales with brass backspacer for a few days. The balance is very much improved! Would definitely recommend brass/copper over lighter spacers like titanium or carbon fiber for the Bugout. If the stock scales were black I'd be happy as is.

NBPcgfy.jpg

As to your question, I could go into detail but I think a quick Google search on the dragonfly 2 would give you 101 reasons in favor of small knives.
I actually only own the df2 and while this argument doesn't work for small folders in general, there is definitely a demand for small folders that actually perform way above their similarly sized competitors.

I've been carrying the Dragonfly 2 for a good while now and am finally getting ready to make my first $100+ knife purchase. I'm thinking about getting a Mini Bugout (or a Sage 5, or a regular Bugout, or a Mini Grip).

Did you find that the Mini Bugout filled the exact same role as the DF2? It seems being about a half inch longer the MB would be more versatile...I'm just wanting to make sure that's the case before I think about going with the Mini Bugout.

Thanks for any input!

TripleB67

Received a Mini Bugout in Orange today. Centered, nice action. Really like the light weight. Almost a full flat ground blade, slice and dice. What a pocket knife or EDC if you like, should be.

I will be getting my first mini bug out delivered this week, a cf elite. I’m already looking at a scale replacement and I’m split between brass, copper, or the carved carbon fiber from Rogue. Any suggestions to help me make up my mind?

I will be getting my first mini bug out delivered this week, a cf elite. I’m already looking at a scale replacement and I’m split between brass, copper, or the carved carbon fiber from Rogue. Any suggestions to help me make up my mind?

Out of those I'd go with carbon fiber hands down. But, I'm also not a fan of brass or copper and a huge fan of CF. Plus those Rogue scales are gorgeous and the craftsmanship is amazing.

Just bought a black mini bugout yesterday. I love the original, but I tend to smaller knives these days. Cant wait to get it.

Back