Mini Grip 556 vs 550HG

GGD

Hello, I'm looking to get a mini grip but I'm not sure if I should go with the 556 with the drop point or the 550HG with the sheepsfoot. I will mainly be whittling, cutting rope, and cooking with the knife. I really don't know what each of these blades are good for, so all information will be helpful.

The 550HG isn't a Mini. It's the large Griptilian... The 550 has a totally different feel compared to a Mini. Were you thinking 555HG, which is the Mini with the Sheepsfoot ?

I have 555hg, 556, & 555S, and I like the 555hg the best.
Thumb hole opening works better with gloves for me & despite of thinner profile due to hollow ground, it hold usable sharp edge longer than flat ground of 556 for my use.
I find serration works better with ropes & plastics; however, I realized that significant amount of cutting edge seems lost by having serration to such a short blade of mini Griptilian.
I'd recommend 555hg overall for general purpose as well as for the tasks u mention above.

***addendum: If you don't mind D2 steel & slight more weight, consider 15030-x bone collector small axis plain edge.

You can Spydie flic the 550 and 555.

[video=youtube;UFQmFzuhzI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFQmFzuhzI8[/video]

Which is why I prefer them

Back