Mini Grip,,,why not a mini 940?

With the two size options for one of their top sellers the Griptilian so popular, why doesn't Benchmade scale down its other major crowd pleaser, the 940 model? I would love to see a 940 mini in the new G10 like the 940-2. Blade just a hair under 3 inches. Weight reduced again to 2 ounces. Keep the reverse tanto and the axis lock and the pocket clip.

Spyderco is supposed to offer a scaled down Paramilitary 2 (PM3) in the coming year. Should Benchmade counter strike with a 94tiny?

Could be a smaller giant of an EDC legend.

,,,Mike in Canada

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, but personally i already feel the 940 is at perfect EDC size, i actually have always wanted a larger 940 and 943, 3.7 inch blade, thicker liners, same handle options, what a knife it would be.

Nice idea. Add a smaller reverse tanto to the 810/950/940 line up.
But perhaps the 707 occupies that 3" axis lock niche well enough for BM?
I would much rather BM do something upgrade-wise with the 943.

DSC00142_zps1mavk30q.jpg

DSC00143_zps4wbuuabp.jpg

DSC00148_zpsdt70muer.jpg

I think it would almost be to slim/small IMO.. I have always thought a mini rift would be awesome!! But what the heck, I'd love a mini anything, so bring on a mini 940!!!

The 940 is about as small as I would want and I actually thought it was smaller than the above pictures show. I have a 940-1 that my wife bought me after seeing me check one out at a gun show. But I've never carried it because it really just doesn't mash my buttons. I'm really not a fan of the real skinny blade. The reverse tanto and the fact the blade isn't exactly inline with the handle and a few degrees down just bugs me. I much prefer the 943 blade shape but it must not be as popular. I would probably have a few of a 943-1 if they existed.

I much prefer the 707 if going small. And I don't mind a reverse tanto as the Rift is about my favorite knife of any manufacturer and I have many multiples and variations. Except that M390 version!?! Or an S90V would suffice. I have multiple M4 versions but they just don't have an optimum heat treat and mine gets dull faster than I like. I'm really thinking about sending my forum Rift blade off to be re-heat treated to a higher hardness and have the Cerakote removed and maybe even thin the main bevel some. But that's for a different thread.

I find the 707 to be more like the Mini Griptilian in look and shape. Especially the blade shape. So many quality knives to choose from, but seeing as the 940 is so frequently in my pocket I thought I might like a little brother too. The mini 940 would likely come in lighter than the current 707.

I am waiting for my local shop to stock the 940-2 in a couple of weeks so I can try it out in hand.

,,,Mike in Canada

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the 940 and the 707 for a few years but never pulled the trigger and they faded out of mind until a couple weeks when I saw the 940-2. As much as I like the general style of the 940 something about the shape just kills it for me, kind of like FlaMtnBkr mentioned regarding the thin blade, blade spine not lining up with the handle, etc. I went to my local knife shop and picked up the 707 and it's been in my pocket every since. I work in an office and prefer EDCing a smaller more conservative blade so the 707 suits my needs there. Awesome little knife.

the 940 is one slick piece but is just to slim for my grip. The mini Grip despite its smaller size fits my grip near perfectly especially for fine cutting tasks. The shape of the handle fills my palm enough to get a good comfortable grip on. I feel like Ill cut myself if I try anything remotely hard with a 940.

Back