Minimalist utility knife.

Hmm, maybe give the TPT by big idea a look over.
Have one and it is quite useful when I don't want to use my pocket knife.
Plus it has a little titanium pry, which has saved my ass a couple of times.

I was thinking of getting one of these but came to a realization that made me hesitate...(I also realized it is probably an issue with almost all of these knives from the humble screwpop to the mighty Rexford RUT)

What prevents the edge from contacting the bottom channel the blade rides in? I worry this would dull the edge particularly since the “blade holder” is steel which is also fairly hard and the blade slides forward dragging across the steel.

Does the edge drag along the bottom of the channel the blade rides in? One more thing....

For knife designs like this I usually protect the edge by cutting a thin strip of credit card plastic and gluing it into the bottom of the channel. How ever on this knife I worry there may not be enough room to do this. In your opinion will I be able to do this? Do you think there is enough room in there to fit that little strip of credit card?

I worry there might not be since you said the blade didn’t rattle in the handle so that means there can’t be alot of room in there.
...get a Christy Knife...

...get a Christy Knife...

I want one and will pick one up eventually. But part of the point was to have a knife I can just replace blades on that I never need to sharpen. Those christy knives are very cool though.

I have a serrated bait knife (or maybe a net knife) from Dexter Russel that cuts multiple layers of heavy cardboard better than anything I’ve ever used. It never gets dull and came with a sheath. It was very inexpensive. I think around $7.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe give the TPT by big idea a look over.
Have one and it is quite useful when I don't want to use my pocket knife.
Plus it has a little titanium pry, which has saved my ass a couple of times.
I looked at that one prior to buying the Quark.
A dang nice titanium pocket tool and very versatile with the can pryer, screw driver, bit holder and wrench feature.
Not keen on the magnet though (as mentioned in an earlier post). Its also way more expensive than the Q let alone the Screwpop. Thats of course up to the individual, how much one wants to pay for a utility blade holder and how many extra features one wants.
It is a very nice little tool.

Do you think there is enough room in there to fit that little strip of credit card?

There is no room to slip a strip of plastic between the edge and the housing. I might snap a pic later to illustrate.

2HvzgAw.jpg

Dont worry. Blades are cheap and easily available.

I just picked up a set of 3 "Workpro" folding box cutters for less than $20 and, so far, I'm liking the one I'm carrying.

It's smaller (3" closed) and lighter than the Husky that it kicked out of my pocket and much more comfortable in the pocket.

I'll admit that it's not the clever engineering showpiece that the other ones are but the price and size won me over. Here's hoping it lasts. I'll update here if anything eventfull happens.

Stock photo attached.

Attachments

• tmp_31613-41mP9D-9QcL._AC_SY400_-208580029.jpg
    tmp_31613-41mP9D-9QcL._AC_SY400_-208580029.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 38
I read about the EAB, as it looked good. Nitpick: Didnt really like, that it needs a screwdriver to change the blade.

Thats surprising. Looks good in the pics but I never handled the EAB so couldnt tell one way or the other. Just goes to show, that just because a clip is wide and looks sturdy, it might not be anchored well (if that was where it snapped).

You can use a penny or dime to change the blade too, you don't need a screwdriver.

I just picked up a set of 3 "Workpro" folding box cutters for less than $20 and, so far, I'm liking the one I'm carrying.

It's smaller (3" closed) and lighter than the Husky that it kicked out of my pocket and much more comfortable in the pocket.

I'll admit that it's not the clever engineering showpiece that the other ones are but the price and size won me over. Here's hoping it lasts. I'll update here if anything eventfull happens.

Stock photo attached.
Im not familiar with that one but it looks like itll do just fine. Nice and sleek.
Besides, clever engineeeing or not, the important thing is that the utility knife works and that one looks like itll do the job.

I have a couple of folding utility knives but they are not as sleek as your Workpro.
Here a Böker Magnum.
IYfk54V.jpg

Last edited:
I want one and will pick one up eventually. But part of the point was to have a knife I can just replace blades on that I never need to sharpen. Those christy knives are very cool though.
I believe Christy Knive blades can be purchased and replaced? I'm not big on sharpening either...

I've always used a keychain ladybug for that type of utility use, back when I got it in the early 2000s it was only twenty-something dollars, very inexpensive, great vg10 steel, and still to this day works great, still tight no play.

Which utility knife do you prefer?

I looked at several before narrowing it down to a couple. The Screwpop seems popular, its small and cheap as well.
Some reviews claims, that the Screwpop is noisy and that it rattles. This wouldnt bother me even if true, as long as the blade is held securely. I mean, what does people expect from these small pocket tools.

After looking at the Screwpop, I happened to come across the Quark. Very nice little utility blade holder. Good quality and its both practical in use and holds the blade securely in all three positions.

The nice things about these tools; minimalist, blades can be had most everywhere. Excellent for those who travel. In regards to those keeping one of these on a keyring; its nice that you can just dump the blade (for example in the airport, if you forgot about having the tool on the keyring) and buy a new blade at your destination thus having a non threathening blade for mundane tasks on your travels.

When I first visited the Quark site, I was offered a discount. With the tool being of a nice quality and not expensive to begin with, the choice was easy.

There are a plethora of small(-ish) pocket tools on the market. Some makes more sense than others.
The Rexford RUT for example didnt appeal to me. Too big and silly expensive (Im not about to pay $130+ for a small utility blade holder) Why they stuck a cap lifter on the end seems to defeat the purpose of a minimalist pocket tool IMO.
On the bay, there was a very inexpensive clone of the RUT but that was of course out of the question.

The Quark is excellent and I use it almost daily.

n7MlUYw.jpg

NSamomU.jpg
mL1xYC1.jpg

Just ordered the Quirk!!:thumbsup::cool:
John

I worry this would dull the edge particularly since the “blade holder” is steel which is also fairly hard and the blade slides forward dragging across the steel.
i never studied this "potential" phenomenon, which i call the "auto-dulling effect", in detail because (…) :rolleyes:, but users of standard Stanley blades (FatMax, Carbide, #1991, or #1992) could compare the sharpness by the flashlight trick shining the light directly onto the apex looking for a light reflection. i once noticed that the apex was reflecting light in form of a microthin line. so yeah, the auto-dulling effect exists. The blade wouldn't slice phonebook paper any longer!

i reviewed the Stanley #5192 before. hard-to-source item in the states, more common in the europes. the edge stays sharp because it never touches steel or titanium. imho the perfect blade for slide in slide out pocket tools like Screwpop or TPT or TPT SLIDE. folding utility knives such as GERBER EAB LITE or Utilizer don't suffer from any auto-dulling effect but they are not suitable for keychain EDC.

My favorite EDC knife isn't the Spyderco Delica4 or PM2 anymore but the Utilizer 2.0. And the TPT w/ Stanley #5192 is always on my keychain.

set of 3 "Workpro" folding box cutters for less than $20 and,
the set costs regular 10.00$ shipped on AliExpress, or 7.80$ during Black Friday (and similar sales season). I'll buy 5+ sets next time i see it at 7.80 again, incredible price, great as gift for future occasions.

Here my new favorite youtube channel discussing exactly such knives:
TACO BOUT IT - subscribed! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you for posting about the Quark! I almost took the plunge and bought a RUT last night. After looking at the Quark, it was a no brainier as i have no use for the other "Tools" on the RUT and like the more minimalist look of the Quark. Went with the Carbon one and will be buying the Gold Lenox blades. Thanks again!

i never studied this "potential" phenomenon, which i call the "auto-dulling effect", in detail because (…) :rolleyes:, but users of standard Stanley blades (FatMax, Carbide, #1991, or #1992) could compare the sharpness by the flashlight trick shining the light directly onto the apex looking for a light reflection. i once noticed that the apex was reflecting light in form of a microthin line. so yeah, the auto-dulling effect exists. The blade wouldn't slice phonebook paper any longer!

i reviewed the Stanley #5192 before. hard-to-source item in the states, more common in the europes. the edge stays sharp because it never touches steel or titanium. imho the perfect blade for slide in slide out pocket tools like Screwpop or TPT or TPT SLIDE. folding utility knives such as GERBER EAB LITE or Utilizer don't suffer from any auto-dulling effect but they are not suitable for keychain EDC.

My favorite EDC knife isn't the Spyderco Delica4 or PM2 anymore but the Utilizer 2.0. And the TPT w/ Stanley #5192 is always on my keychain.

the set costs regular 10.00$ shipped on AliExpress, or 7.80$ during Black Friday (and similar sales season). I'll buy 5+ sets next time i see it at 7.80 again, incredible price, great as gift for future occasions.

Here my new favorite youtube channel discussing exactly such knives:
TACO BOUT IT - subscribed! :thumbsup:

Any idea whether the "Jewel" concave utility blades are the same size as the Stanley 5192?

Back