Mirror San Mai Dagger Pattern?

TK Steingass

Knifemaker - Buckeye
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings All,

I was looking at Burt Foster's webpage and marveled at this San Mai Dagger. I have made San Mai myself but I can't figure out how Burt got the mirror pattern on both sides of the primary grinds. What supreme talent! I'd appreciate anyone's input.

V./R,

TK

Burt-Foster-Dagger.jpg

That Is Serious Attention to Detail Finishing...Impressive:cool:

That's amazing. I don't forge, but maybe dies in the press and then coming from both sides to the press to make the "squeeze out" the same left/right.

Even grinds on each side with a billet that is very uniform with the core in the center. A lot of skill and care needed to do this.
Perhaps setting the weld with large dies on the press for a uniform squish on the entire piece and then using a rolling mill to draw out the billet?

Greetings All,

I was looking at Burt Foster's webpage and marveled at this San Mai Dagger. I have made San Mai myself but I can't figure out how Burt got the mirror pattern on both sides of the primary grinds. What supreme talent! I'd appreciate anyone's input.

V./R,

TK

View attachment 1612020
I would really like to see other side of this beautiful Dagger. Looking at just this side I believe that only way to get that mirror is to forge weld with as much is possible less disturbance on all three layer of steel ..............
24rybG0.jpg

zV13XYC.jpg

I would really like to see other side of this beautiful Dagger. Looking at just this side I believe that only way to get that mirror is to forge weld with as much is possible less disturbance on all three layer of steel ..............
24rybG0.jpg

zV13XYC.jpg
But if there was no disturbance, there would be no pattern, no? So i think weo is on the right track, maybe round dies to put some pattern on the transition and then roll it out.. Anyway for sure a lot of practice... There is a guy on yt that uses dies that basically put the dagger or sword cross section in, maybe something like that, leaving the edge thick enough for grinding. I could see how that would leave the same pattern left and right...

Supreme talent is right. All I see is an air hammer and hydraulic press on his site. A lot of practice and control of the core. Probably my favorite San mai maker.

Burt Foster is a outstanding knifemaker. But I really don't think that pattern would be very difficult to duplicate.
TK, I remember several years ago I asked you for one of your knife patterns and you were kind enough to send me one.
Maybe I can sort of repay the favor.
If I can get Imager to paste I will provide some pictures that I think will help.
Bd5lH9g.jpg

5ljwLQP.jpg

JIEmS9l.jpg

These pictures are of a san mai blade I made several years ago. I messed up my stamp mark and never finished the blade.
This is not a dagger, but I think you can see from the pictures that if I had beveled both sides of the blade the pattern would be pretty close to the same on both sides.
I used 410 SS for the outside and 1095 for the inside. Each piece was bout 1/4" thick. I welded up all the edges and set the weld with my press. Then I used my 100lb power hammer to draw the billet out to about 1/4+" thick. Then I put it back under the press with round 1 1/2" diameter dies.
vrmwCPo.jpg

7uInkZS.jpg

Then I did NOT grind off high spots like you would with ladder Damascus. I just took the billet to the power hammer and flattened the billets out. Just use the stock removal method for a dagger and I think you will get a pattern like you are looking for.

Burt Foster is a outstanding knifemaker. But I really don't think that pattern would be very difficult to duplicate.
TK, I remember several years ago I asked you for one of your knife patterns and you were kind enough to send me one.
Maybe I can sort of repay the favor.
If I can get Imager to paste I will provide some pictures that I think will help.
Well, what goes around comes around. Thanks Tom - this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting and be well Sir.

TK, glad to be of help. I hope you will post a picture if you decide to make the dagger.

Back