Missing medallion, what to do?

deltablade

Gold Member
I lost the medallion on this Western folder. What should I do with the inletted oval now?

Y2KxXIC.jpg

The way I see it, you have 4 choices. Either find an original. Find something that fits or is bigger and make it unique. Fill it with epoxy try to color match then jig it. Ignore it.

My guess is you are hoping someone here has one and will hook you up. That would be lucky. But it’s worth asking.

hoping for suggestions. I kinda like the idea of making a copper oval to fit. have no idea where to get copper sheet the same thickness

hoping for suggestions. I kinda like the idea of making a copper oval to fit. have no idea where to get copper sheet the same thickness
What thickness do you need? A good hardware store often will have a little copper and brass sheets and rods. Online knife making supply companys also carry it. Jantz, Texas, Alpha, probably others.

O.B.

Copper is pretty soft. I wonder if you couldn't hammer it to your desired thickness. I know you can do it with brass because I've used it a ton for pins and I've peened the ends of them. Brass is just a copper alloy, right?

The shield was nickel silver. Anything else will stick out like a sore thumb.
As suggested, you can fill the hole with dyed epoxy and jig it.

Did you think of going to a trophy shop that does engraving? Maybe they could make a small piece to fill in if you could get a picture of another one?

good idea. I just ordered a couple nickel silver ovals n will try to sand down to shape that will fit into medallion inlet.

Last edited:
Black micarta would look nice too. I’ve seen several “knife modders” who can inlay shields, replace them with black or brown micarta and it compliments the knife well. Nickel silver would be more appropriate keeping it close to original though.

Copper is pretty soft. I wonder if you couldn't hammer it to your desired thickness. I know you can do it with brass because I've used it a ton for pins and I've peened the ends of them. Brass is just a copper alloy, right?
That's what I would do: Find a pre-1980 copper penny (after 1981, pennies have a core of zinc and are only clad with copper). Anneal it with a propane torch or gas stove or whatever (750°F should do it). Then hammer it to the desired thickness. Then anneal again (hammering/bending/drawing out/upsetting copper or brass will "work-harden" it), then cut it with shears or a wood chisel or whatever and file/sand to shape, then epoxy it in place.

If you want nickel silver, just anneal and cut down a nickel to fit.

That's what I would do: Find a pre-1980 copper penny (after 1981, pennies have a core of zinc and are only clad with copper). Anneal it with a propane torch or gas stove or whatever (750°F should do it). Then hammer it to the desired thickness. Then anneal again (hammering/bending/drawing out/upsetting copper or brass will "work-harden" it), then cut it with shears or a wood chisel or whatever and file/sand to shape, then epoxy it in place.
would a propane torch heat to 750? how would I know I reached the correct temp?

A propane torch will anneal a penny if you use a heat reflecting surface-like firebrick.
You could try it outside, on a piece of a 2x4. The wood will burn, of course-but you should be able to get the metal hot that way.

Many craft stores sell small copper sheets or stamping blanks that might be appropriate.

Back