(Mistaken assumption)

In regards to the G&S pricing - I am new to PayPal and I recalled them taking quite a bit off of a knife payment I had made through G&S. I see now that was because the payment amount was much higher. In any case, I didn't purposely price gouge G&S to drive FF - but judging from all of the comments it probably looks that way. Future G&S pricing will be more reasonable - and I'll be adjusting the pricing on this particular knife as well. Thanks for the advice.

A recommendation - there are plenty of PayPal fee calculators online. You can figure out exactly how much they'll take for their cut based on your asking price.

In regards to the G&S pricing - I am new to PayPal and I recalled them taking quite a bit off of a knife payment I had made through G&S. I see now that was because the payment amount was much higher. In any case, I didn't purposely price gouge G&S to drive FF - but judging from all of the comments it probably looks that way. Future G&S pricing will be more reasonable - and I'll be adjusting the pricing on this particular knife as well. Thanks for the advice.
So far, you are making very good choices after starting this thread. Good on you for that :thumbsup:

Another good choice you could make is to drop F&F all together. Most reputable members won't use it and many won't even consider your ad if you list it as an option. You see, using f&f screws paypal out of fees they are owed, fees that you in fact agreed to pay when using their service. Basically, many see it as untrustworthy behavior. If someone is willing to screw paypal out of 3.5%, what other poor behavior are they willing to engage in? Just something to think about.

So far, you are making very good choices after starting this thread. Good on you for that :thumbsup:

Another good choice you could make is to drop F&F all together. Most reputable members won't use it and many won't even consider your ad if you list it as an option. You see, using f&f screws paypal out of fees they are owed, fees that you in fact agreed to pay when using their service. Basically, many see it as untrustworthy behavior. If someone is willing to screw paypal out of 3.5%, what other poor behavior are they willing to engage in? Just something to think about.

Thanks, I appreciate that. When I began collecting I noticed that almost everyone that I purchased knives from in the online custom knives community asked for payment through FF. These collectors were mostly found on Instagram. Most of the time I based my trust off of how reputable their account was. I have never had issues with FF. On the other hand - every time I accept payment through G&S, they hold my funds for 2.5 - 3 weeks before I receive it. FF takes 2-3 days. Apparently they hold my funds for 3 weeks because it is a new account, though it has had plenty of activity over the past 4 months or so. In addition to this questionable "hold" on my money, they take a cut? FF is simply far more convenient. I've also had other various issues with PayPal that were extremely frustrating - account balance randomly going negative, all forms of payment being blocked for no reason, etc. Issues that I couldn't even resolve because their customer service is completely shut down due to covid. I've had buyers share very similar experiences of their own with me. In short, in my experience, PayPal is terrible and I only use it because other people in this community insist on it.

I have also read three different cases where PayPal users (knife makers) had thousands of dollars in their balance completely seized with no explanation. All instances were quite a bit of money (one was 30k), and all have had to hire attorneys and take it to court. While I would never use PayPal as some sort of savings account, I can't imagine how furious they must be. I have heard multiple stories of people ordering $6000 knives and claiming fraud to utilize the buyer protection on G&S - getting their money back and a shiny new grail or two for free. That's nuts. I mention these cases for the simple fact that you are the third person on these forums who has made a comment with the exact words "screwing PayPal out of their money" and to put it blatantly, I do not feel bad about that in any way. PayPal is a corporation (one I do not favor), not an individual. I hardly consider using FF to be "untrustworthy behavior". I understand the biggest gripe here with FF is the lack of buyer protection. However, with everyone claiming using FF is "screwing PayPal" I felt compelled to throw in my two cents. I will continue to list both FF and G&S prices so the buyer has the option. Apologies for the wall of text - I'm just baffled by the sentiment this community seems to have towards PayPal.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate that. When I began collecting I noticed that almost everyone that I purchased knives from in the online custom knives community asked for payment through FF. These collectors were mostly found on Instagram. Most of the time I based my trust off of how reputable their account was. I have never had issues with FF. On the other hand - every time I accept payment through G&S, they hold my funds for 2.5 - 3 weeks before I receive it. FF takes 2-3 days. Apparently they hold my funds for 3 weeks because it is a new account, though it has had plenty of activity over the past 4 months or so. In addition to this questionable "hold" on my money, they take a cut? FF is simply far more convenient. I've also had other various issues with PayPal that were extremely frustrating - account balance randomly going negative, all forms of payment being blocked for no reason, etc. Issues that I couldn't even resolve because their customer service is completely shut down due to covid. I've had buyers share very similar experiences of their own with me. In short, in my experience, PayPal is terrible and I only use it because other people in this community insist on it.

I have also read three different cases where PayPal users (knife makers) had thousands of dollars in their balance completely seized with no explanation. All instances were quite a bit of money (one was 30k), and all have had to hire attorneys and take it to court. While I would never use PayPal as some sort of savings account, I can't imagine how furious they must be. I have heard multiple stories of people ordering $6000 knives and claiming fraud to utilize the buyer protection on G&S - getting their money back and a shiny new grail or two for free. That's nuts. I mention these cases for the simple fact that you are the third person on these forums who has made a comment with the exact words "screwing PayPal out of their money" and to put it blatantly, I do not feel bad about that in any way. PayPal is a corporation (one I do not favor), not an individual. I hardly consider using FF to be "untrustworthy behavior". I understand the biggest gripe here with FF is the lack of buyer protection. However, with everyone claiming using FF is "screwing PayPal" I felt compelled to throw in my two cents. I will continue to list both FF and G&S prices so the buyer has the option. Apologies for the wall of text - I'm just baffled by the sentiment this community seems to have towards PayPal.
Hmm...

If you don't like PayPal, better to find an alternative rather than use it inappropriately.

Good luck with your future sales.

So you're fine with stealing fees from a business that you agreed to pay when you signed up with the account, but you're worried about somebody potentially scamming you with Goods & Services?

So you're fine with stealing fees from a business that you agreed to pay when you signed up with the account, but you're worried about somebody potentially scamming you with Goods & Services?

I expressed no concern, I simply listed that as another prime example of PayPal failing as a service. You clearly took that one example to question my point of view while disregarding all of the other examples I mentioned. Claiming I'm "stealing money" is a joke - why don't you do some research on your beloved PayPal and realize how many thousands of people they have LITERALLY stolen from. There are countless horror stories. Your sentiment is beyond me. That's all I'll say on the matter.

I expressed no concern, I simply listed that as another prime example of PayPal failing as a service. You clearly took that one example to question my point of view while disregarding all of the other examples I mentioned. Claiming I'm "stealing money" is a joke - why don't you do some research on your beloved PayPal and realize how many thousands of people they have LITERALLY stolen from. There are countless horror stories. Your sentiment is beyond me. That's all I'll say on the matter.
There's no need for quotation marks, you are indeed stealing fees if you accept payment via F&F for Goods or Services:confused: Practices like that are exactly why people's PayPal accounts wind up locked...I have had a PayPal business account for 20 years with no problems.

I wondered if I did something with my adblock software to prevent me from seeing the "add tags" feature, so I did some research to see if the feature had been removed, which led me here. Now that I'm here, I think it's a good place to drop this:

PayPal User Agreement said:
If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods or services or accept donations, you must:

• Pay any applicable fees for receiving the funds.
  • Not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members.

Another good choice you could make is to drop F&F all together.

Seconded.

I have had a PayPal business account for 20 years with no problems.

Good to know! :thumbsup:

Back