MKM Colvera...my review

Dogdrawz

Gold Member
First, this is not going to be a typical review, maybe just a fly-by. With that said, let's dive in.

The knife: Oh so beautiful. Who said Italians can't make purtty things?
KbgYH7s.jpg

Size comparison:
15jkmK2.jpg

Disassembly: Check the milling on that micarta!
gtapGOz.jpg

Blade thickness compared to the Biblio: OOF...that's-ah thick-ah meatball!
xi5Zpeo.jpg

Polished tang of blade to find true: True it is, well done!
Km0ocge.jpg

Lock bar relief cut in a already thin frame makes a sharp edge. You don't push down like most lock bars. You want to push out. Lock bar is stiff. Me hurt me thumb.
7dTpR1e.jpg

Sharp edges, sanded down later. Sanded the micarta side too. Ahhhh.
EqIDjSG.jpg

The relief finger cut post deployment placement needed to be cut further back, widened & rounded for further comfort. It wasn't pretty, so I'll save ya the pic. Trust me, I made it work.

Also with the thickness of blade means more weight swinging out. Different deployment feeling than with thinner stock. Feels like the first time you rode your skateboard goofy-footed.

Pocket clip is press fit with a set screw on the inside to keep it from swiveling. Sorry, you can't just unscrew it & replace it. On the bright side, it is a good looking clip & almost disappears into the frame. So far, no problems with my pockets. Of course if it gets bent, I'm screwed. Unlike the clip itself.

Deployment was lazy. Detent was not weak but detent ball needed to protrude about .005" more. Did that. Deployment is now snappy.

After above all modifications, knife is good. Real good. One of favorites. It is smooth as butta & is a lot more difficult to fail it. I did not however try to break this knife in right out the box. Maybe it would have been better, maybe not. Dunno. I liked the design so much I couldn't wait & I made it my own.

Next on the list, those sharp corners on that flipper tab need some attention. Ouchy.

Great pictures and knife knife. Not my first blade shape choice but I have seen worse. I would be sligthly worried about a blade that thick (which calls for some sort of abuse) with so many cut outs in the pivot area. I recall a Spyderco knife with an internal (to the blade) stop pin that someone snaped in that particular area.

What I don't get is why a knife of that price (which you didn't mention but does not seem cheap and seems to run arround $260) comes with so many sharp edges. A few cycles in a media tumbler before final sharpening and assembly should get rid of those while in the factory.

Great review!

Mikel

Thank you for share. Great review.
Thanks!

Great pictures and knife knife. Not my first blade shape choice but I have seen worse. I would be sligthly worried about a blade that thick (which calls for some sort of abuse) with so many cut outs in the pivot area. I recall a Spyderco knife with an internal (to the blade) stop pin that someone snaped in that particular area.
What I don't get is why a knife of that price (which you didn't mention but does not seem cheap and seems to run arround $260) comes with so many sharp edges. A few cycles in a media tumbler before final sharpening and assembly should get rid of those while in the factory.
Great review!
Mikel

Price was $200ish. I think the blade thickness is more form than function on that front. With the micarta milled, it would probably give if abused. I also think at the 260 price point, tumbling for the sharp edges would be mandatory, but it wouldn't be as purrrty. So far break in is making it better every day.

Nice review..I think MKM knives are beautiful but I’ve yet to add one to my collection..I want one but don’t know when I will get one,I have so many knives on my “must have list” it’s getting ridiculous..so many amazing knives on the market with more coming out all the time,I just can’t keep up..lol

i have the identical ball bearings in my Fox Knives knife Maniago. they're made in the china. maybe everyone knows and takes appropriate care but i didn't. they got wet the other day (no big deal if you have phosphor bronze washers), the next day they were rusting and totally :poop:'ed out on me.
now my knife runs on ceramic ball bearing, 10eur shipped from AliX omfg. i think i reviewed them on the forum. or maybe not.

enjoy your colvera .. but i doht get the knife makers, what good is a knife if i cannot let it get wet regularly (e.g. after cutting some fruits and then rinsing it off under a faucet)? knives must be cleaned after use, and water is the most common ..

If you can't remove the pocket clip, it's a no go for me. The knife itself looks awesome, but you found out there are too many things not to like. Which is a pity, because this knife sure has potential... But thanks for an outstanding review, which helps me not to buy this knife....
Hope that Lionsteel reads this...

Just got mine today (Black G10 Stonewash). It's clear that I'll need to make the same modifications as you. Wow, trying to disengage the framelock is nigh impossible and, as you said, me hurt me thumb! I think I'm going to need to take a Dremel to the G10 a give a bit more access. Any tips on doing this without ruining my $200 knife would be appreciated. I also agree the the detent ball needs to protrude more - how did you achieve this?

..Any tips on doing this without ruining my $200 knife would be appreciated.
Use a carbide burr to remove the bulk of the material and then use a new sanding drum with sharp grit to smooth it. Do not overheat the G10 as you can burn it, that's why I a telling you to use a new sanding drum. Or if you preffer, do it by hand with a rat tail file and some sandpaper.

...I also agree the the detent ball needs to protrude more - how did you achieve this?
If the hole where the detent ball is pressed is a through hole (and not a milled blind pocket) you can always punch it out from the backside with the propper diameter punch. Y suggest you lay it detent ball down on a piece of soft wood so if you happen to overdo it and pop it out, the detent ball does no go fliying away not to EVER be found.

If it is a milled pocket or the backside is not accesible, then I have no idea how could you achieve this.

Let's see if Dogdwarz comes back and tells you exactly how he did it.

Mikel

I punted on trying to mod the knife and returned it instead. I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't worth the effort to make it right.

Back