MOAB on Knife or Death

I've never watched an episode of it before but had to see this one. Yeah, he took a knife to a 2 handed-sword fight pretty much. Now if it had a 2 handed grip? :)

Hey guys! Been busy and not on here as much in this last year. I had meant to start a thread on Thursday, and alert you guys.

Austin is my son, and he is certified HOG. And yes, Amy he did win the toss at Blade 2 years ago!

Knife or Death on History Channel

Thanks Amy! @Amy-O He says thank you! He asked if you could tell Jerry? He wanted to win so bad, but he came home and said that he took a knife to a sword fight. He debated taking the AK-47 sword. Based on the first season which he researched, the MOAB was a huge blade. But not for the 2nd season, alas. He was hoping they would not edit out his plug for the MOAB, and was thrilled they left it in.

Thank you sir! He loves his Busse's and has invested a lot of his money in these blades. Look for him in upcoming BLade Sports completions also.

Thank you sir, I totally agree. I would think you would have some parameters to what blades could be used on a "Knife or Death" show. There have been guys with a kitchen butcher knife, all the way to a 40" long sword. Numerous swords were not heat treated properly and they had catastrophic failure. Pieces flying off the blade! So they were pulled out.

Also people brought blades that were dull, or dulled so rapidly you could hardly believe it. That MOAB I sharpened to a shaving edge, and worked it down to a Convex zero bevel. I should have left it with a rougher "toothy" finish. For the straps and rope cutting.

If he'd like to try again with a Hognose War Sword, I have one I could lend out. But I think what he really needs is a HNWS with the back edge sharpened, and with a sharpened hook like a Woodsman's Pal for cutting rope and straps. You could modify one of mine like that, or maybe Jerry would make you one special. Get a two-handed version like that, and he'd be unstoppable.

Last edited:
If he'd like to try again with a Hognose War Sword, I have one I could lend out. But I think what he really needs is a HNWS with the back edge sharpened, and with a sharpened hook like a Woodsman's Pal for cutting rope and straps. You could modify one of mine like that, or maybe Jerry would make you one special. Get a two-handed version like that, and he'd be unstoppable.
I will tell him. That's a great offer.

That's exactly what we think. He is hoping for a chance to go again. 2 handed, double edge with the rear edge having a slight hook to it. About 20 inches of blade? And weighing about 4 or 5 lbs.

I would have liked to see an AK47 on the show . Beside the boxed I think it would have sailed through most of the items

I really like the 2 handed Hognose with that curved backside approach, I think you'd really have something there. i think you're all over it with that JTT! After watching it and seeing the challenges that's really it. If Jerry made a special blade just for this comp, put "BUSSE" in HUGE letters too - I could see they didn't want bring any "brands" into it, it was visible on Austins' blade but so quick most people would miss it.

That was very neat to watch - I had heard about the show and never seen an episode before as I just don't watch much TV asides from LSU Sports and some NFL/post season baseball...I turn my TV off after baseball season for a good while.

Good stuff, Austin. Real good stuff with the knife. Also - pretty freaking awesome to have Goldberg comment on how solid you look.

Good job as well, Pops - on the young man and the knife!

C

Isn't INFI too soft for that kind of use? Compared to zwear at 63 rc or 3v, in my testing, INFI can't hold an edge

I will tell him. That's a great offer.

That's exactly what we think. He is hoping for a chance to go again. 2 handed, double edge with the rear edge having a slight hook to it. About 20 inches of blade? And weighing about 4 or 5 lbs.

HNWS only has a 16" blade. Maybe Jerry can make you a Nuclear HNWS with an extra 4 inches on both the blade and the handle, plus the sharpened rear edge with a line/strap-cutter hook.

HNWS only has a 16" blade. Maybe Jerry can make you a Nuclear HNWS with an extra 4 inches on both the blade and the handle, plus the sharpened rear edge with a line/strap-cutter hook.
It would be a winning tool. I hope you have inspired a thought!

Isn't INFI too soft for that kind of use? Compared to zwear at 63 rc or 3v, in my testing, INFI can't hold an edge

If you run Zwear at 63Rc for this competition, and have Austin throw the power into that blade, like he threw into his MOAB, you better have lots of protective gear!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_O

INFI is run at 58-60Rc and loves this kind of abuse.:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

Austin killed it! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

I have a few designs that I drew up about a year ago. :thumbsup:

They are two handed designs that are very specific to this competition. :eek::eek: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll post them if I can find them. . . . o_Oo_O :confused:

Again congrats to Austin! :cool: :D

Let's drink! :thumbsup:

Jerry :D

Omg please release one!!!

Austin killed it! Great job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

I have a few designs that I drew up about a year ago. :thumbsup:

They are two handed designs that are very specific to this competition. :eek::eek: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Again congrats to Austin! :cool: :D

Jerry .

Jerry, thats great. I would love to see them.

This show and the blade tests they devised have opened peoples eyes to what uses a blade can be put to. In case of the lights going out, or in a emergency situation, a stout sword could be used to do a lot of things if the steel itself, and the edge hold up. There are a lot of quality hard use knives, but almost no hand and a half or 2 hand blades at 18 to 24 inches long with mass and weight behind good geometry, and with a handle that won't blister your fingers and has a balance point just in front of the guard. That length seems to be the sweet spot for brute force use.

Also vibration control designed into the handle is a key point.

I just watched it. Yeah the swords were more appropriate looks like than a big knife. Austin seems like such a fine young man. I’m sure dad is very proud of that young man. We need more kids/young men like that in this country. Gives me hope for the next generation.

Austin did an excellent job! Tell him congratulations for me, and I'm sure you must be very proud. You did a great job putting the edge on that MOAB too, it cut very well. In my opinion, Austin got a bit unlucky with how many competitors he was facing that made it so far during that round; his run would have gotten him to the outside course on most other episodes. It will be interesting to see if competitors start using the CPK K18 once that gets into production (and assuming the show gets renewed).

Back