MOD Dieter CQD - request for lock info

Hi all,

I just purchased a MOD Dieter CQD (the big one) from a forum member. Knife feels good and construction seems quality, but it does have one annoying habit.

The action of the blade (this is the manual, not auto) is smooth but very tight. So tight it is almost impossible to open or close the blade one handed.

Here is where it gets strange: If you move the blade back and forth without letting the blade open fully and lock, the blade moves easily and smoothly. However, if you let the lock activate, immediately the blade is very hard to close. Once it is closed it is very hard to open for one or two cycles, then it eases up and moves easily...until you activate the lock again.

I am not familiar with how the plunge lock is designed, but it seems clear that it is the cause (or a contributing factor) of the problem.

Anyone have a blow up of the mechanism? Anyone have a similar problem?
Any fixes? Is this knife easy to disassemble?

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

I traded for the exact same model and had the exact same problem. My problem was it was smooth to start with and I opened it up to see how it works...

Well I fixed the problem like this...

1. Striped the knife to its component parts, very carefully and observe where the bits all go.
2. Grease the knife tang with a Teflon white grease.
3. Grease the area where the plunger button rides up and down.
4. Re-assemble, slowly.
5. Open the knife right up and put tuf-glide on the plunger button (5-6 drops)
6. Put same on the pivot area.
7. Work open and closed about 100 times.
8. Re-apply tuf -glide and leave over night.
9. Use the knife for the day, play with it and it aught to work fine, btw, you aught to find that the pivot can be 100% tightened without making the blade tight.

Hope it helps.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Mark,
I too ran into a situation somewhat similar to what you describe. I found, however, that I was able to work through this initial roughness by simply giving the folder a good oiling and then repeatedly working the blade open and closed, allowing the blade to lock each time. On the other hand, if you're comfortable with disassembling your knife, then General's method will likely work more quickly.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Basicly I think it is down to a rough plunger lock button. You might get the same result from Tuf Glide/Militech 1 on the button (it soaks into the mech) and pivot. Try this first if you don't want to disassemble the knife. It is a VERY easy knife to take apart. If you have ANY problems, let me know and I will go step by step with you and make sure we get it 100% right for you. As ever, when disasembling any knife place it on a flat surface, pref covered with a bit of white paper so you can see all the parts and screws. Always take your time and make sure before hand that you will have at least an hour without interuption just in case! I was disasembling my Ka Bar folder to grease on the kitchen table, when in walked a heard of animals, wanting the table. I was so lucky not to loose any bits with bags of shopping being dumped down on the table...
frown.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

I'm not sure what MOD's policy on this is, but before you take apart your knife you might want to read the warranty.

To all,

Thanks for the info. After about 300 cycles it is beginning to smooth out.

Thanks again,
Mark

P.S. The General- is there loc-tite or similar on the fasteners? I tried adjusting the pivot and it was locked up TIGHT!

Back