Recommendation? Model 5-4" Small Camp and Trail Knife

Viper84

Gold Member
I am interested in buying a Model 5-4", but I am trying to decide the best way to configure it. I just want to use it for general tasks while hiking/camping. The only change I was thinking of making to the standard model was to add a brass butt plate to the stag handle. Any reason I shouldn't do this? I thought it might make the handle more durable or allow for light hammering if needed (is that frowned upon with a RMK?)

Also, if anyone has pictures of their 5-4" I would love to see them!

Here is a 5-5.
Stainless with NS guard, black and alloy spacers, olive green canvas micarta and rounded alloy pommel.
kaEvEsul.jpg

The butt plates on stag are only held on with a screw soldered to the inner side of the plate, then epoxied into the stag.
In my opinion, as a hammering surface it would not be very good at all. It's more decorative than anything.
Such a small knife would be somewhat mediocre as a hammer anyway I would think.

I think I would add a thong hole. You don’t have to use it, but it is there if you want it. Randall does a nice job on their thong holes.

If you add the brass plate the end of the handle will be squared off. My sons knife will actually stand up on the plate. They trim and contour the plate to match the veins in the stag which is awesome but some of the edges on his knife are sharp.

Without the plate the stag will be rounded. Randall uses very high quality Sambar stag with very little pith so the decorative plate is not needed

view

view

view

Last edited:
Back