modern case folders marilla & kinzua

Thanks JB.
There's surprisingly little info/feedback on these.

I'm wondering about the aluminum frame myself.

I'm curious how these compare to the more expensive Buck 040 Onset.
......and if the Onset is worth the extra money.

I'll pay more for a Made in USA knife providing it performs.

Reviews for the Onset are not good. It's a shame. Both of these knives represent missed opportunities. I passed on both of them and bought the new WE Seer instead. The Seer is a fantastic knife made with great materials and excellent fit and finish. The attention to detail, good grind, and just generally getting everything right... The Seer actually costs more but the things it does right are things that WE usually does right, including on their more affordable Civivi knives.

That's the real missed opportunity. Sure, it costs more to make a knife in America. People understand that. There are people who don't mind or are even proud to pay the difference. For everything that must have gone into bringing these products to market... failing those people on the things that these knives get wrong is just a shame.

For a good look at issues with the Onset (and a little humor), here is Pete:

Everyone bashing them saying Should’ve been micarta or titanium or whatever. Let’s look at what YOU ARE GETTING. A modern flipper in S35VN made in USA backed up by Case which is a Household Name that just about everyone knows. A brand that has always put out a quality blade at a reasonable price. Show me another USA made knife (not made in USA with globally sourced parts I/E made in China and screwed together here) for $100 bucks I’ll wait……….. every knife made and sold that put dinner on the table for an AMERICAN FAMILY. There is nowhere you couldn’t go and sell a case knife if you were in a pinch just because it’s says CASE on it. Are there things that could be improved? That’s the case with every single knife ever made every knife isn’t for every person. Also in today’s economy what is $120? Dinner out for you and your wife? 3 bags of food from the grocery store? (Maybe). So when it’s made with titanium and m390 the price is $600 bucks (majority of Microtech) y’all would complain about that too.

I own one of the special run Marillas in Magnacut that were released last year by SMKW at BLADE Atlanta, and it's....eh, it's not terrible for what I paid (around $150). At the time, it was one of the ways to get Magnacut that wasn't "new blade steel" expensive. It's....well, it's worth around what I paid for it. It's a neat little knife, but I don't carry it often, as I've managed to obtain much better knives in Magnacut since then. I also probably won't be buying any of the other models in the other steels, because the knives themselves aren't ultra compelling. Those pocket clip screws....man, it's 2023, if your knife has a pocket clip, it absolutely should have flush screws.

That said, it IS neat that Case decided to try to offer a modern knife folder design and they basically swung for the fences with a bearings framelock flipper right away. But as it stands, I think there are plenty of other knives on the market that do what these Case knives do, a lot better, although it's nice that these are made here in the US.

I got 2 of the magnacut ones......ive added back when they came out. one has poor lockup and I need to send it in. other was like the first ones, but edges were better and decently done.....

B Bnowelder ya dont have to wait long for that answer.....

"Show me another USA made knife (not made in USA with globally sourced parts I/E made in China and screwed together here) for $100 bucks I’ll wait……….. "

off the top of my head Buck 840, 346, 722 and 110 fit the bill and much cheaper.....and ya can build a custom 722 with upgraded steel for 100 dollars.

I gifted a kinzua to a buddy of mine for helping me hang some trim. I was happy with the quality, but the stock thickness was a bit much. I'm not a fan of tanto blades in the least bit, but he is. He's carried and used it for over a year now and has been really happy with it. Seemed to have held up pretty well the last time I saw it.

Back