Modern Gladius?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by PDT777, Sep 1, 2019.

1. PDT777

PDT777

Nov 4, 2017
    Gents, looking for a modern take / version of a Gladius (not the coldsteel machete) that you could use in the field (so not a display piece). Please sound off!

Thanks!

2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Busse

AntDog, duramax and boring like this.
  3. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Well, you could try the Condor Tool & Knife CTK1026-18.5HC Tactical Gladius Sword. It's not made of unbreakable super secret squirrel uber steel like the Busse but it will also only you around 200 dollars. I have no particular experience with that piece, but the Condor pieces I've seen have all been good values for the money.

4. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
  5. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
  6. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    Albion sells bare blades, so if you enjoy the do-it-yourself route, you can make the handle look as tactical as ya want.

7. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    GLADIUS SWORD 24" OVERALL 16.25" 3MM THICK BLADE, STAINLESS STEEL SATIN FINISHED BLADE BLACK NYLON FIBER HANDLE INCLUDES 600D NYLON SHEATH.... any idea how much should it cost around?

8. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Wholesale around $10 in quantity.

Mecha likes this.
  9. Triton

Aug 8, 2000
    Yep I might take it from someone if they gave me 10 dollars to go with it... ;)

Mecha likes this.
  10. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    rpn likes this.
  11. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
    We've made a few as customs. Here's a Mainz style one with horn bolsters with a wooden grip on a full tang blade, but we can do micarta, kydex as well as a beefier spine if you need. Hand forged 5160 spring steel, lifetime warranty and base price of $305 for what you see here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. clearytja

clearytja

Oct 17, 2002
    Amazing quality and even better price!

Kailash Blades likes this.
  13. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
    Cheers mate, we do our best

14. Triton

Aug 8, 2000
    Interesting blade, interesting web page. Do you have some more pictures, preferably in profile of that particular piece?

15. Kailash Blades

Nov 21, 2015
    Yep, got heaps more including the original pattern drawing. These photos are actually from two identical blades. The first was a custom commission and the second was a buyer who had seen a photo and wanted the exact same thing, down to even the finish and materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  16. Triton

Aug 8, 2000
    Thanks! It's nice workmanship, but far, far too large. It looks like the guys have talent, more research is just needed on fitting design and dimensions. I can suggest some books if you are interested.

madcap_magician likes this.
  17. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Use in the field ... how? Knowing that may help folks in their suggestions.

The Busse version is indeed unbreakable, and has an amazing forever warranty, but it is pretty thick behind the edge. I've not swung one, but it seems like more of a smasher than a slasher. And the resale market price is quite high. This from a Busse fan.

18. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Oct 20, 2019
    This is my handmade short dagger hunting knife with Beautiful leather sheath
    Overall 13 inch Full Tang Macarta Knife
    Blade material CPM D2

Attached Files:

shoegazer, d762nato and boring like this.
  19. Aeri

Aeri

Oct 18, 2019
    The APOC wasteland gladius in 9260 steel should meet those requirements:

https://casiberia.com/product/apoc-atrim-wasteland-gladius/sd35570

It is frequently sold at the $145 price point on any given day from sites like Kult of Athena, but can probably be found for even cheaper if you are willing to do some research.

Full disclosure: Not affiliated in any way with the companies mentioned like APOC or Kult of Athena. Have not used the APOC gladius, but do have firsthand experience with the APOC katana which is also 9260 steel.

20. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 14, 2003
    That is pure sex!