Recommendation? Modern hewing/broad hatchet?

I've been searching quite a while for a single handed hewing/broad hatchet/axe around 15", of course single sided. All the old ones I've come across have been either average condition and far overpriced or flogged out with the back side having been beveled.
All the modern ones seem to be larger 1 off hand forged goosewing heads no handles included made in Bulgaria, total price including postage is over $200.
Are there any modern offerings you're aware of that are a bit more reasonable, not so boutique?
I guess they're considered a bit obsolete these days so aren't really manufactured in a great quantity.
Id love to carry one on my camping pack as a companion axe for more specialized work.
Thanks guys.

I've been searching quite a while for a single handed hewing/broad hatchet/axe around 15", of course single sided. All the old ones I've come across have been either average condition and far overpriced or flogged out with the back side having been beveled.
All the modern ones seem to be larger 1 off hand forged goosewing heads no handles included made in Bulgaria, total price including postage is over $200.
Are there any modern offerings you're aware of that are a bit more reasonable, not so boutique?
I guess they're considered a bit obsolete these days so aren't really manufactured in a great quantity.
Id love to carry one on my camping pack as a companion axe for more specialized work.
Thanks guys.
Maybe some stores in Australia carry Vaughan SB2 Broad Hatchet
I am sure you can find STUBAI Carpenter’s hatchet (search thewoodworks au)
N° 672102 Single right bevel
N° 672111 – Single left bevel

Last edited:
Maybe some stores in Australia carry Vaughan SB2 Broad Hatchet
I am sure you can find STUBAI Carpenter’s hatchet (search thewoodworks au)
N° 672102 Single right bevel
N° 672111 – Single left bevel
Thanks for the suggestions. Not really feeling the STUBAI not a fan of the claw as I like to choke right up to the head for fine smaller work when carving. I guess I could just cut it off but really i don't care much for the pattern. The vaughan is really what I'm after too bad they seem to be sold out everywhere I can find them listed, I'll have to keep an eye out. Either that or the German flared heel and toe (basically triangular) pattern.

When looking for the vaughan I came across an Australian vaughan supplier with straight 36" handles, something i previously couldn't find available online or in stores.
Got a 4lb rafting on the way so might have to acquire one. Helped me out with a problem you didn't even know I had. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions. Not really feeling the STUBAI not a fan of the claw as I like to choke right up to the head for fine smaller work when carving. I guess I could just cut it off but really i don't care much for the pattern. The vaughan is really what I'm after too bad they seem to be sold out everywhere I can find them listed, I'll have to keep an eye out. Either that or the German flared heel and toe (basically triangular) pattern.

When looking for the vaughan I came across an Australian vaughan supplier with straight 36" handles, something i previously couldn't find available online or in stores.
Got a 4lb rafting on the way so might have to acquire one. Helped me out with a problem you didn't even know I had. :thumbsup:
Watch out!! Full size Vaughan axes aren't made in USA, anymore (only hatchets).
Edit
Never mind, you were talking about Vaughan handles, not full size axes.

Last edited:

I have a Stubai and I find myself reaching for it more often than my American pattern broad hatchets. No problem choking up plenty close.

I shortened the handle a little.

Last edited:
Back