Handle 4.5"
Full convex grind
Black ray skin/Cord wrap

Still got to epoxy, sheath and etch.

Attachments

• kaiken.jpg
    kaiken.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 289
Epsilon, I like making these sorts also and thats a nice one. The full convex grind gives some strength to the nice slender tip. I prefer flat grinds but you got a nice even grind on that one. Is it double edged ? My understanding of the term kwaiken in japanese is that it refers to double edged blades. I could be wrong.

I can't see the handle details very well but it looks very neat and tidy. What do you use for the wrap ?

Its almost impossible to use anything other than Kydex for a sheath on a mean looking machine like that. What did you have in mind ?

Cheers.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm trying to create more stuff that is economical to produce and sell, compared to the traditional more time consuming stuff I prefer making. This kaiken will be coming with a complete handle and sheath deal, since I usually only do blade work on traditional style, forged stuff. Striking a balance in my work you might say. Convenience option and pure function option.

Jason Cutter,
Yep Kydex. Its the simplest and most effective sheathing for this style once I coat the handle. The wrap is just shoelace. :cool: If people like this or similar knives I will be making, I will make an upgrade and fork out the cash for silk tsukaito. Which is tougher and nicer. With the poly coating though, it won't matter much in the function department.
The one in the picture isn't double edged, though I slightly beveled the spine for a nice, 3D look. :D hard to see the way I shot it.
Good questions. As far as double edged goes, you're thinking of a "ken". Kaikens are simply smaller tanto's. There were ken versions of kaikens, just like their larger tanto counterparts.

-Jason

Top stuff, S90V should cut like a banshee.

I use shoelace too, but yours looks like it has more definition. The ones I use are plain cotton in black (and white which I dye to the colour I want). I get weird looks when I buy 20 pairs of 2yard shoelace from Kmart. Lots of boots I usually say. I've been using some nylon "6mm dog lead" but it doesn't take the acrylic resin quite as well even tho it looks heaps better.

Epsilon, I suggest making a couple more with than shoelace wrap you're using. Even with the more plain type I used, my wrapped knives were very popular at my very first show and I sold more than a half dozen. They had a very muted tactical look and people seemed to like them. I'm making at least 10 more wrapped ones for the next show, but I'm not sure what the buyer trend will be that time.

You might also want to stick with that convex grind, It definitely looks different. Never seen anything like it before.

Cheers.

will have completed this week and for sale in the fixed blade section and on the site for orders

Back