Modern Katana-influenced sword

STeven,

Wasn't the hamadachi mounting originally invented for wakizashis? Do you know if the Japanese had any problems with wakizashis and tantos without guards back in the day?

- Chris

STeven,

Wasn't the hamadachi mounting originally invented for wakizashis? Do you know if the Japanese had any problems with wakizashis and tantos without guards back in the day?

- Chris

Not familiar with the term, Hesparus, care to elaborate?

Tanto are not a problem without a guard, because generally it is a last ditch or utility knife.....not GENERALLY used for parrying, or any other sort of use that requires deflection, or worry about the hand sliding onto the blade.

Wakizashi almost always have a guard.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I actually meant aikuchi, not hamadachi. Aikuchi mounting has no tsuba at all whereas hamadachi has a tsuba that is only slightly larger than the fuchi. In one of my books on Japanese weapons (I can't remember which) it states that the aikuchi mounting was invented for wakizashis so it could be worn tight across the belly without a tsuba getting in the way. There is an accompanying photo of a wakizashi made for a warlord with aikuchi mounting(not shirisaya). It is long for a wakizashi, around 24" iirc. I don't know much more than this, though, so I dont know if this was popular or whether they realized it was a bad idea and stopped doing it.
I've never handled an aikuchi mounted katana or wakizashi myself so I can't comment from experience.

Chris

another low profile, custom ordered...

lycosakat.jpg

2lb 7.6 oz (that's 2.4 oz under the weight limit!)

36.5" oal 25" blade 0.255" thick distal tapered S-7 RC 58

That convex edge is really tricky to photograph so I gave up trying to get definition on the high shinogi in the picture

vacuum impregnated epoxy cord-wrap

Last edited:
I really like that one, too. Do my eyes deceive me, or is the curve a bit towards the tip (sakizori)?

- Chris

I actually meant aikuchi, not hamadachi. Aikuchi mounting has no tsuba at all whereas hamadachi has a tsuba that is only slightly larger than the fuchi. In one of my books on Japanese weapons (I can't remember which) it states that the aikuchi mounting was invented for wakizashis so it could be worn tight across the belly without a tsuba getting in the way. There is an accompanying photo of a wakizashi made for a warlord with aikuchi mounting(not shirisaya). It is long for a wakizashi, around 24" iirc. I don't know much more than this, though, so I dont know if this was popular or whether they realized it was a bad idea and stopped doing it.
I've never handled an aikuchi mounted katana or wakizashi myself so I can't comment from experience.

Chris

Ok, now I understand. I was starting to think I had lost it.

The PRECURSOR to the wakizashi, the koshigatana is from the the Kamakura Period, before Muromachi(1185–1333). This is the sword that you are discussing, in the style of aikuchi(The nomenclature of the word "aikuchi" is the following: the Japanese: ai is a gerund which means meeting and Japanese: kuchi is a noun that means mouth. The same formula is used in koi-guchi. So, aikuchi initially was a style of mounting in which the fuchi meets with the koi-guchi).. Prior to this, we had the Tachi, which was worn blade down, suspended from two cords, not directly tucked in the belt. Because the koshigatana was stuck directly in the belt, it did not have a tsuba. Please notice the time period. Aikuchi, is a form of koshirae (mounting style) which commonly was used in tantō creation POST this period. The reason for the change from no tsuba to a tsuba on the wakizashi is probably a combination of practicality, training and aesthetics.

The wakizashi, and katana combination, or daisho(literally "big-little") most likley became popular during the end of the Muromachi period(1336 to 1573). During this period, there was serious political fragmentation and obliteration of domains: a great struggle for land and power ensued among bushi chieftains and lasted until the mid-sixteenth century. Peasants rose against their landlords and samurai against their overlords as central control virtually disappeared. Gear was expensive and had to be effective.

Japan was in almost constant turmoil until Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was the founder and first shogun of the Tokugawa shogunate of Japan, which ruled from the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 until the Meiji Restoration in 1868.

The point I'm trying to make here with this little history lesson, is that for the most part, Japan was at an internal war, more or less for almost 100 years, and everything from sidearms to main battle arms such as bows/arrows and spears evolved in shape, use, and training in such an environment. There are katana with plate sized(6" or so) tsuba, both historically and in current use, but that is too unwieldy for me, and anything that will allow me to deflect/stop an incoming blade, protect my fingers from sliding up/target material from making contact is sufficient in my limited experience....this would not be the case with aikuchi mounts, hamadachi-style tsuba or turks head knots.

2lb 7.6 oz (that's 2.4 oz under the weight limit!)

36.5" oal 25" blade 0.255" thick distal tapered S-7 RC 58

It is under my preferred weight limit, William, but that weight limit incorporates tradition mounting...If I were ever to own one of your swords, it would be with a eye towards competition, and that requires FULLY traditional mounts, say from the end of that Muromachi period mentioned above.

The blade featured above is somewhat short and thick, probably an excellent bush sword/stylized heavy use blade....what you do is quite intriguing, and I look forward to examining more of your work.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Thank you STeven. I told William that my sword would be used for home defense, in case my Glock jams.
William- I can't wait! Thank you.

STeven - Thanks, I think I understand.
William - Do you heat treat your blades yourself?

- Chris

daybreaker and firebreaker... that can be arranged but you have to msg me.

Thanks again everyone... can't wait to start on the next major sword project, maybe get some ideas @ Blade, not sure if I'm ready to try something more traditional due to the insane amount of work involved.

William

Wnease, what are your swords designed to do? In the modern age, sword fighting and killing humans is not acceptable, or at least frowned upon.
So, for the modern sword buyer, what would I be able to do with a sword in S7?
Would small tree limbs be okay, or just soft targets?
I have a Swamp Rat Waki, and I could go chop wood with it, I haven't, but their video says I can. My Battle Hawk in S7 can beat through cinderblock without damage to the edge, and be thrown.
What can I or can't I do with your sword? I don't abuse my tools, but I want them to have a functional purpose as a tool.
In the modern age, what function does your sword offer? I ask these questions with respect for your work. I really like the design, asthetics, and S7 is a great steel. I like what you're doing, and ask in all seriousness.

foxx,

Thanks for your interest! I started making bush swords about 8 years ago from A8mod... they had wide, THICK blades (5/8" stock), never got really long, 23" blades maybe... I gave them thin edges and they cut wood and rope like crazy. I never lost the desire to cut wood with my swords but the narrower the blade the lower the performance on wood.

My standard for a cutting sword is cutting a 2 by 4 of structural lumber in one strike. I've done this dozens of times, from many angles, with thin swords that weigh less than 3 lb to the 4.5 lb monsters made of 5/8" stock. All will also cut 4" free hanging rope. Edge survival is up to the alloy and HT, the geometry, the target, and you!

Longer, graceful blades I think will require more skill to use as the forces get weird and the harmonics more significant, but I doubt that any of my swords would be harmed by doing bush duty.

several test videos are linked to on my website, definitely not to show my skill (lack of) but to show that they perform under relatively harsh conditions i.e. a hamfisted William swinging them as hard as he can into wood. They are functional.

Thanks again!

That is awesome. I don't think you could beat that look for a modern katana. Well done.

When I first saw the JS Kat, I had to have one. William went beyond my imagination with this Kat. Thank you William and thank you all for the compliments.

I like it. I strongly support the making of non-traditional katanas. It's a great shape and I'm not saying that anyone can really improve on real, traditional piece, but there is so much room for creativity here. Make more William. If you and your customer like then more power to ya. -M

Last edited:
Back