Modern materials Khukuri

That is a nice collection. Maybe I'll have a collection like that someday. I'm not sure why I need a collection, though. I guess this is one of those things that just happens after a while of admiring other people's collections :)

I only wanted two, a modern and a traditional khukuri, the keeper for me are CS and the M43, they just feel well balance. The KLVUK are a beat up knife, I need to get rid of the dui chirra (anybody want it ?). I'm done with khukuri now, are looking into durable modern katana and wakizashi, any suggestion ? so far I have my eye on Hanwei tactical katana and waki. Production version of Busse and kins are too short.

Very true......

I was actually thinking about this M43:) (top khuk, the bottom one is a strange bird)..
IMG_2952.jpg

But, you can easily see the similarities with your HI M43 as well. BTW, that's a nice looking M43 you have. The original (vintage) M43 was about 23ish ounces and very light and fast in the hand, very much like the CS Gurkha. It seems designed for combat. Take care.

I only wanted two, a modern and a traditional khukuri, the keeper for me are CS and the M43, they just feel well balance. The KLVUK are a beat up knife, I need to get rid of the dui chirra (anybody want it ?). I'm done with khukuri now, are looking into durable modern katana and wakizashi, any suggestion ? so far I have my eye on Hanwei tactical katana and waki. Production version of Busse and kins are too short.

Nice Di Chirra. I got one today, with a 6 piece tool set!

I was admiring the front finger grove grind actually.
Nice work. is it a chiruwa handle?

What did you use the di chirra for exactly?

And what do you like the 33oz M43?

Last edited:
I envy your collection jdk1. The MK 2 and M43 are so interesting and your two M43s are good examples of some variety.
P1020475.jpgP1020467.jpgP1020541.jpgP1020555.jpgP1020557.jpg
From dirty to clean. The above are pictures of a MKII I bought from IMA (they are sold out now). I like it's balance. I find that most standard MK IIs weigh on average 700 grams (24.6 oz).

Specifications of this Indian Army Pattern variant:
MKII
Length/Blade: 34 cm (12.6 in)
Length/Grip: 9.2 cm (3.6 in)
Length/OA: 43.8 cm (17.2 in)
Belly depth: 6 cm (2.3 in)
Blade thickness at Bolster: 8 mm (.31 in)
Balance: 10 cm from Bolster (3.9 in)
Weight: 698 grams (24.6 oz)
Markings: "Qeyoom Bros" on blade

Some History on the MK II
with the help of writings from Simon Hengle
The Mk2 was in production from around 1916, and in its various forms potentially up to the end of type of WW2. The Mk2 kukri was used in a great deal of places and by a lot of non Gurkha units, from France in WW1, to Gallipoli, the NWF back to Europe in WW2, Burma and so on. For more information on this style of kukri go to you tube and type in; WW2 Era Kukri - Part 5 by Simon Hengle.

Last edited:
weight length thickness
CS 22oz 12"- 5/16"
M43 33oz 12.5"+ 7/16"

Thanks for the Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri and Himalayan Imports M43 weights, lengths, and thickness but...

CS 22oz 12"- 5/16"
M43 33oz 12.5"+ 7/16"
KLVUK ?
DuiChirra ?

You missed two :confused:.

CS 22oz 12"- 5/16"
M43 33oz 12.5"+ 7/16"
KLVUK 20oz 11" 1/4"
DuiChirra 28oz 12" 7/16"

Nice work. is it a chiruwa handle? No

What did you use the di chirra for exactly? Used it once for chopping a limp down, usually I go for the bk9 but now the KLVUK.

And what do you like the 33oz M43? Mostly the balance when you swing it, it feel lighter than it actually is even tough it's big and heavy. Centripetal force I guess, don't know how to explain it better and also for the chiruwa handle.

Nice work. is it a chiruwa handle? No

What did you use the di chirra for exactly? Used it once for chopping a limp down, usually I go for the bk9 but now the KLVUK.

And what do you like the 33oz M43? Mostly the balance when you swing it, it feel lighter than it actually is even tough it's big and heavy. Centripetal force I guess, don't know how to explain it better and also for the chiruwa handle.

I do understand on the chiruwa handle regarding balance.

I'm done with khukuri now, are looking into durable modern katana and wakizashi, any suggestion ? so far I have my eye on Hanwei tactical katana and waki. Production version of Busse and kins are too short.

Too short for what? What can you use those swords for? What makes them "tactical"? Busse is very expensive, but you can have them custom make something for you. INFI probably does very well with avoiding breakage. I think that would be most important on swords.

Too short for what? I already have machete, khukuri, folder and other short knife, the longest being the scarpyard 1311 I'm still waiting on, so just looking for anything that is very well balance with blade over 20" preferably in the 24".

What can you use those swords for? What we do with any knife, cutting down a branches, clearing bushes, batoning and etc. maybe some dojo with this one, which I know the katana is not built and meant for. The outcome usually are not very good on the blade, thus the search for something like it. I was actually eying the everest katana and waki but no disrespect to the kami that usually does it but they are just ugly and rough on the edges, from the picture some blade don't even look straight and not chiruwa handle like the traditional blade. Those from Bura are beautifully done but he don't work on blade anymore and it's not any cheaper than other offering.

What makes them "tactical"? like I said more durable and maybe some kraton or micarta handle, Hanwei tactical actually have full tang handle with kraton and fiberglass sheath but the price just went all the way up due to their factory fire and going direct to consumer. With those prices it's in the competition with the like or better like Cheness 9260 steel which are a lot stronger than 5160 and Ronin 1060 steel offering which are documented to do what I would like to do. Anybody have experience with $329 T10 steel katana offering from SBG themselves ? the slot is opening up soon.

Busse is very expensive. True for me and a lot of folks but not true for some. Compare Busse Combat American Butaniku to a custom made good katana from japan or china for that matter you'll see that Busse are actually cheaper, not to mention the super warranty

but you can have them custom make something for you. INFI probably does very well with avoiding breakage. I think that would be most important on swords.
Very true but I just can't afford the Busse, my budget's around $300 or a bit more if it's by busse kins, do busse kins do custom order too ?

I would be surprised if Busse kin does not do custom orders. I've only seen one specialty knife shop that refused custom orders, and they were the extreme artsy types with an arrogantly very high opinion of their work.

I have one of the cheness 9260 blades ( the 30 inch model) very nice and well built for the price.

Swamp Rat doesn't do full custom work, only modifications to existing models
And Scrap Yard does no custom work at all, but for both of them it's more about price to performance than about not wanting to do custom work

Busse is the only one of the family that will do true custom work, but its very expensive and the wait is quite long as well

Despite the joys of stainless steel, 5160 is actually a very wise choice for a kukri. It's designed to chop, hitting things extremely hard. 5160 is a spring steel, which means a blade made from it will withstand impacts better than most others steels. With a good patina/blueing/coating, the blade shouldn't have any rust issues as long as you care for it. And if it does rust, just run some sandpaper over it and expose the patina underneath.
+1
Just re-read your comment and I like it even more :thumbup:.

Back