"Modern" Slip Joints

Enigma Knives for a more traditional knife with modern Materials. Spyderco for modern Slipjoint. Also Hinderer now has one. There also are offerings from benchmade, Viper Tecnocut and Böker.
The three rivers Nomad would be another Option.

You might also consider that all disassemblable(?) Back-Locks and Axis-Locks can be converted to function as Slip-joints

Hiroaki Ohta makes some slip joints in the 200ish range also in modern materials (of course his full customs go for a lot more) his work is available from some us dealers.
Do you only care about slip joints or also 2h opening mid and back locks with a semi traditional look?
As for slippies (which I also care for as I live in a country with stupid knife laws)

Spyderco has a rather big lineup, most noteworth IMHO are the pingo, spydk, roadie, UK pen knife (ukpk) and the urban (especially the aforementioned k390 version which I also own)
Benchmade proper
Hinderer Slippy
Viper dan
Böker has a couple of course
Tons of custom makers ranging from 300 to unaffordable
Manly comrade (check the thread here on bf)
Roland lannier makes some nice stuff, there was recently a thrad about him here on bf
You could also consider some of the damasteel limited edition from Victorinox (SAK)

Two suggestions for you, OP:

1) Enzo PK70 - a small, powerful folder, with CF scales and S30v steel. This almost feels as if it is a locking knife. Mine is Scandi ground.

2) Manly Comrade - made in Bulgaria from 1.2379 (think D2), with G10 scales, this knife is a joy to use, and like the PK70, this knife will not close on you.

SWcXJaR.jpg

Last edited:
The Lionsteel Roundhead (or upcoming Shuffler) and Benchmade Proper are nice despite the absence of a pocket clip. The Lionsteel is especially appealing and a very good knife for the price.

I have examples of the Spyderco UKPK and Urban. Those are nice and can be found for a good price but they never seem to find their way into my pocket. The Spyderco SLIPIT is a neat one you should try if you can find one.

I’d like to try a Hinderer Slippy but I’m waiting to find a deal on one used. There isn’t much chatter about them and I haven’t seen many for sale second hand.

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

Spyderco Urban, UKPK, and Benchmade Proper
i.ashx

i.ashx

The Spyderco PITS is like the alpha and omega of knives for me. I've purchased other knives since but that's only because of my addiction to acquisition, not because there's anything this knife can't do. It was pretty outrageously expensive when it first hit the scene but I've seen the blue-handled variety for 150 bones or so all over the place lately.

Hey All,

I'm looking for modern split joints, you know, knives with modern steels and handle materials and pocket clips. I'm thinking models like the Spyderco Slipits and Böker Plus XS. Who else makes some of thee modern slip joints?

Thanks for any leads and God bless!
IMG_20180107_150419_711.jpg

I'm a big fan of this little guy from Spyderco. The Urban k390. I really wish they'd use k390 more often. The UKPK is also a really lovely knife. Sure, there's no lock, but the simplicity of the knife is great. If you can find a Pingo it's a fantastic knife as well.

Hey All,

I'm looking for modern split joints, you know, knives with modern steels and handle materials and pocket clips. I'm thinking models like the Spyderco Slipits and Böker Plus XS. Who else makes some of thee modern slip joints?

Thanks for any leads and God bless!
Just saw the new Kizer catalog and thought of you. Looks like they're putting out two different versions of Michael Vagnino's Zip Slip design, one in G10 and VG10 and one in S35VN and titanium if I remember correctly. Don't know when they'll drop, but you might keep an eye out for them.

Just saw the new Kizer catalog and thought of you. Looks like they're putting out two different versions of Michael Vagnino's Zip Slip design, one in G10 and VG10 and one in S35VN and titanium if I remember correctly. Don't know when they'll drop, but you might keep an eye out for them.
Looks good. Seems to have the same blade coating as the begleiter.

Blank-Diagram-Kizer-Zip-Slip-768x268.png

Looks good. Seems to have the same blade coating as the begleiter.

Blank-Diagram-Kizer-Zip-Slip-768x268.png
It's actually one of the few 2018 models from anyone that's a definite buy for me so far. Pricing will determine which one I go for, but the Urban K390 and UKPK really have modern slipjoints growing on me.

It's actually one of the few 2018 models from anyone that's a definite buy for me so far. Pricing will determine which one I go for, but the Urban K390 and UKPK really have modern slipjoints growing on me.
Ditto. I've avoided Kizers to date, but I'll be buying this one.

One handed opening slip joints is an underserved category I think.

I’d go for that Lionsteel Roundhead or BM Proper.

Of course, if you’ve got a lil more room in your budget, there are plenty of excellent custom makers.

a12f80d97f0cf25d9058148c74f2d643.jpg

Id love a Lion Steel Roundhead Barlow with a pocket clip.
The Cold Steel Lucky is really nice and the Hinderer Xm Slippy.

Yeah the Hindered XM Slippy is up on my list a touch pricey but really looks like a beauty and the thumbstud is optional with it.

Back