Recommendation? Modern slipjoint <$200

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a modern style slip joint. Price is under $250, and if I could keep it under 200 thatd be even better.

I'd just order a zt0230 if it had a blade with a tip. I love the blade on the Monterey Bay EWC and prefer it's 3" blade over the smaller zt but it's got a clip, I don't like the front flipper tab and it's made in China... Like the idea of the BM Proper but very much dislike the aesthetics of that one.

Ok so I guess I'm looking for something at the 3" mark (a little smaller is OK too), CF or micarta scales, USA made, my least important aspect is blade steel as long as it's serviceable.

Appreciate any suggestions to look at. Thanks!

The Collector Knives Best Man is pretty attractive.

EDIT: Sorry missed the USA Made part.

Last edited:
TRM Atlas. Great knife! I really like mine. Be aware the Atlas is pretty small but the Viator should be a good larger option.

Hinderer Slippy, TRM Atlas or Viator and the Kizer Zipslip would fit the bill as far as modern non-traditional slipjoints. 3 of the 4 USA made...

Last edited:
TRM Atlas for sure
The Hinderer slippy is over your budget but it is great

my collection of modern slipjoint also includes the Benchmade proper, spyderco UKPK and the manly wasp that I recommend
Not all are USA made but they are really worth it

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a modern style slip joint. Price is under $250, and if I could keep it under 200 thatd be even better.

I'd just order a zt0230 if it had a blade with a tip. I love the blade on the Monterey Bay EWC and prefer it's 3" blade over the smaller zt but it's got a clip, I don't like the front flipper tab and it's made in China... Like the idea of the BM Proper but very much dislike the aesthetics of that one.

Ok so I guess I'm looking for something at the 3" mark (a little smaller is OK too), CF or micarta scales, USA made, my least important aspect is blade steel as long as it's serviceable.

"modern style" means...? You can pick up a GEC with micarta scales for <$250 LOTS of places. If you want to add a pocket-clip for a more "modern" look, that can be arranged. I've added pocket-clip to old Buck stockmans to encourage carry, others on the forums could do the same for you and at minimal cost. Just throwing out that option...
ekghGkh.jpg

aqzN0li.jpg

wxupuPI.jpg

ZThkldx.jpg

H0oLCjy.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Lion steel shuffler with m390 carbon fiber is about a buck 40. Or the lionsteel war horse has two sweet blades. I put my socks in the picture for Revdevil. Lol hope he's doing well.

Some suggestions that fit to me in the modern traditional space that are made in USA
Buck 110 & 112 Slim (Lockbacks not Slipjoints)
Benchmade Proper
TRM Viator
Hinderer Slippy (Usually $250-$300)

Are you looking for a backspring or detent slip joint? IMO they feel very different.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll add some info / answers, still looking...

It doesn't have to be USA made, just not China made. I work in automotive mfg and as such I prefer my money goes to well paid, skilled employees who are actually building the product, not corporate big wigs... USA preferred but anywhere with fair wages and good working conditions (i.e. not China) is ok by me.

I looked at all your recommendations and I'm just not compelled to spend my money yet, I really like the straight slab-side look of the EWC, it would absolutely be my knife if it was made anywhere else. Also as mentioned I LOVE the zt0230 just not the blade shape. I guess I'd say I'm going for a more elegant / gentlemanly look. I do like the TRM knives, they look great and several of you recommended them but they're not the look I'm wanting for this purchase. Note I do have and carry a ukpk but alas it's also not the look I'm wanting for this purchase.

Another thing I'll mention is I don't want metal bolsters, just don't like the look, that rules the otherwise great lionsteel out.

Let's change blade size to anywhere from 2.5-3.25".CF, Micarta or metal slab scales, no bolsters, detent, blade needs some belly and a point. Feel free to suggest higher price if they're available on the secondary market used for that ~$250 number.

Are you looking for a backspring or detent slip joint? IMO they feel very different.
Detent.

If it isn't limited to USA made then there are lots of good options from Maserin, Viper, LionSteel, & MKM off the top of my head and if you prefer a detent based slipjoint styled knife I believe Viper and maybe MKM would be my go to. I carry and love my Viper EZOpen from CollectorKnives.net I don't know if there is more planned or stock available off hand.

If Italian is good, I second the lionsteel ck01’s. Several blade choices, several slab choices. Titanium bolsters and m390. I have two and love them. The warhorse is real sweet. I carry it more than anything else lately.

If you could deal with canadian made i could make you one. I use cpm154 for mine.

OP, take him up on that...Or get over the Benchmade thing and go buy the Tom Krein Regrind Proper on dlttrading.

I have a returned Hinderer Slippy that I can not sell as new but would be willing to make you a really good deal on. It was never used but spent 3 months in a soldiers locker in Iraq. The owner never used it and I can not tell it has ever been used. I just don't feel right selling a knife as new that was out of my possession for 3 months. It is a blue G10 with Stonewashed Slicer Blade. If you are interested shoot me an email to scott@usamadeblade.com

Back